Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IAFOR Conferences

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old Surrender

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: IAFOR Conferences Reply with quote

Has anyone been to one? I had my abstract accepted by them, but the registration fees are a bit steep. I don't want to blow my annual conference allotment on a mediocre conference.
rai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first time I've looked on this message board in a very long time, so I'm just seeing your post now. I'll answer the question just in case anyone else is thinking about presenting at an IAFOR conference. I have presented at five different IAFOR conferences and I highly recommend them! I've only presented at one education/language learning conference, because I also lecture in another field, but the one I attended was excellent.

My one experience with a national JALT conference (many, many years ago) was rather disappointing*, given the lack of academic rigour demonstrated by most of the researchers. The IAFOR conference on language learning and technology in the classroom that I attended in Honolulu was great, however. It was much more international (the IAFOR conferences I have attended in Kobe were very international as well, with professors and grad students from everywhere), and the general level of the presenters was much, much higher.

They have partnered with unis around the world, which extends their reach, and I think that is one reason why so many interesting people from all over attend their Japan conferences. I've met fascinating professors and grad students from Germany, India, Taiwan, Switzerland, England, Spain, Turkey, Indonesia, Australia, America, Greece, you name it. Just meeting and going out with academics from all those different countries made it worth it for me.

So, did you end up going?

*I haven't done anything with JALT in over a decade, so this may have all changed.
Old Surrender

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to be in Kobe in October, and yes, I plan on presenting there.

Thanks for the reply!
rai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be at the Media conference in Kobe this October, are you doing the education conference?

Please post afterwards to tell us about your experience!
rai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I forgot to ask: Does your conference have a pre-conference tour? I highly recommend doing it if they have one, because that is the absolute best time to make connections and meet people.

The atmosphere's nice and relaxed, and you will find many people are impressed that you teach in Japan, and will be very interested in talking to you and asking questions. I always make contacts during the tour, and then take a group of people out to a restaurant on the nights everyone's free.
steki47

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: IAFOR Conferences Reply with quote

Old Surrender wrote:
Has anyone been to one? I had my abstract accepted by them, but the registration fees are a bit steep. I don't want to blow my annual conference allotment on a mediocre conference.

I paid Y40K to present in Kobe. Co-workers recommended them to me. Easy way to get another paper on my CV.

See y'all in Kobe next month!
steki47

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how did it go?

My presentation went well. I was session chair and got a chance to chat with people doing similar research.

Plus a decent lunch buffet!
Elicit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Japan forum,

Read this thread with interest. Overall, positive experiences with these IAFOR conferences.

I’ve received a fee waiving scholarship to present at a poster session in Kobe at the end of April. Although I have presented at a couple of conferences, this’d be a poster first for me. Have a couple of questions if I may.

1) The schedule says poster sessions take place on two conference days. Do I do my thing for one of these sessions only?

2) In the process of changing employer in China. This means that with only a few weeks service they’ll probably frown upon my requesting time off or any expenses paid. Is it generally worth flying in for the Sat and Sun at one’s own expense for these IAFOR conferences? Would you?
Maitoshi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elicit wrote:
Hi Japan forum,

Read this thread with interest. Overall, positive experiences with these IAFOR conferences.

I’ve received a fee waiving scholarship to present at a poster session in Kobe at the end of April. Although I have presented at a couple of conferences, this’d be a poster first for me. Have a couple of questions if I may.

1) The schedule says poster sessions take place on two conference days. Do I do my thing for one of these sessions only?

2) In the process of changing employer in China. This means that with only a few weeks service they’ll probably frown upon my requesting time off or any expenses paid. Is it generally worth flying in for the Sat and Sun at one’s own expense for these IAFOR conferences? Would you?

1) Yes, you should be assigned a single session, but you could email this to confirm. Additionally, if there is a day that you prefer, they may be able to help out with that.

2) This depends. Do you have a paper pretty much ready for publication (there is about a month between presenting and the deadline for papers, if I remember correctly)? Do you have a pressing need to publish quickly (i.e. are you applying for jobs that require an additional publication right away)? If yes, then go for it. If not, I might wait to present and publish on my employer's dime.

I did my best to address your questions, given my limited experience with IAFOR. If you have another motivation to visit Japan and the means to do so, then why not?
Elicit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Maitoshi.

I contacted the conference organizers and it was possible to request my preferred session.

The location of my new job is not as travel convenient as my previous; and therefore I have unfortunately decided to give it a miss. I have other publications due out this year so there is not really a pressing need. I’ll wait until an employer sponsored event is possible.

Still a bit disappointed as the conferences have a good rap and not having to pay the fee was an added bonus. I’ll be sure to check one of their future events out the first chance I get.
Old Surrender

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, I had an OK time. I'd consider it again.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Surrender wrote:
Overall, I had an OK time. I'd consider it again.

Only okay? More details needed!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: