Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In-person TEFL cert a new requirement in Shanghai?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michi gnome

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: In-person TEFL cert a new requirement in Shanghai? Reply with quote

I received an offer from an international school in Shanghai. My TEFL certificate is from an online program, and I just learned I need to have an in-person TEFL. Is it just int'l schools in Shanghai that are requiring this now?

Has anyone else came across this situation?

Thanks
Foo_Fighters_Dave

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In person TEFL programs such as the CELTA are a lot better then these online ones because you actually teach in a classroom. I wish these online TEFL degrees would be abolished because they are worthless.

If it is a true International School, they should only recognize in person TEFL degrees.
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been asked for a TEFL certificate. Is it because of my 15 years of teaching experience and a BA, MA, and MFA?

Wait. Once I was asked for a TEFL cert. It was for a job through Gold Star. They were happy to sell me a course.
fpshangzhou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TEFL requirement is nonsense here in this country. Matter of fact, people who do any TEFL certification within this country is suspect when trying to use this cert for another country. Same goes for work experience in China. I think it's because there is no set standards for the industry here.

Cheers,

Aaron
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is a true International School, they should only recognize in person TEFL degrees.

If it is a true international school they will want a helluva lot more than a TEFL degree!
Many international students are English-speaking expats and are enrolled in International Baccalaureate studies.
michi gnome

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.

I do have a few years teaching experience in Korea and China. I would agree that with little or no experience, an in-person TEFL is a good idea. With teaching experience however, an online one should be sufficient. Experience > TEFL cert

As it turns out the int'l school waives the in-person requirement with 2 years experience.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
they should only recognize in person TEFL degrees.

A cert is not a degree (you can't reasonably compare 30 days or less to the years it takes to earn a degree).

Quote:
With teaching experience however, an online one should be sufficient. Experience > TEFL cert

Actually, in more competitive job markets, this isn't true. Having done the job for a couple of years, especially at an entry/lower level and in an uncompetitive job market, is not really any guarantee that you've done it well.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s it turns out the int'l school waives the in-person requirement with 2 years experience.

Doubt that it is an 'International' in the sense that is being discussed on another thread.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likely to be a private for-profit.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Likely to be a private for-profit.

Might be worth updating the thread 'Job Offer Checklist'. A lot of 'China Job Related' is assisting new teachers avoid the myriad scams and misleading job ads.
I'll put something up and see how close I get to what others think.
Top of the hierarchy would be a school that teaches IB, has a number of expat students and pays 20K pm before tax.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: