Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ALASALA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arenta wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
It seems you're trying to justify taking a job with this visa type because it's cheap and can be obtained in your current country of residence. No one can predict what, if any, problems you might encounter with your Saudi sponsor. It's a risk you alone need to consider -- if it's worth the amount of money you'd save by not going on a work/employment visa.

I'm not trying to justify it only pointing out how inconvenient and expensive it is for people who don't live in their native country. Cost of return flight, hotel fees + medical fees all amounting to hundreds is a lot to fork out without getting it back. It's around a month's pay, maybe even more depending on the offered pay. For many people it's a deal breaker.

For others, the hassles and risks that come with working via a biz visa are a deal breaker, especially since the sketchier for-profit contracting companies tend to offer them.

Anyway, this argument isn't new; throughout this forum are others who have also complained about the prospect of having to return to home soil for a proper work visa -- that it's a pricey alternative not worth pursuing. It is what it is. Some job seekers end up applying to work elsewhere on the globe.
Arenta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

For others, the hassles and risks that come with working via a biz visa are a deal breaker, especially since the sketchier for-profit contracting companies tend to offer them.

That may be true. It all depends on the individual's personal circumstances. There's advantages and disadvantages to both.

nomad soul wrote:
Anyway, this argument isn't new; throughout this forum are others who have also complained about the prospect of having to return to home soil for a proper work visa -- that it's a pricey alternative not worth pursuing. It is what it is. Some job seekers end up applying to work elsewhere on the globe.

I'm sure it's been discussed many times but no harm in it being discussed as a side issue since it affects many people. But increasingly it seems that wherever a person chooses to work they're faced with this daunting and expensive prospect.
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the company is sketchy then you have lost a lot less money when the sketchy company does something to you.
Arenta

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end, more than a month later, I still heard nothing more about the job. Strange company. Confused
Foo_Fighters_Dave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arenta wrote:
In the end, more than a month later, I still heard nothing more about the job. Strange company. Confused

Would you really want to work for a company that sends you a contract without an interview? It might have worked out for the best. Good luck with your job hunt.
Arenta

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foo_Fighters_Dave wrote:

Would you really want to work for a company that sends you a contract without an interview? It might have worked out for the best. Good luck with your job hunt.

True. It seemed a bit weird to start with. It's probably for the best.

Thanks
Arenta

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make it clear, they did send me a contract after the interview. I think we were both thinking of another company during the previous post, most likely Al Khaleej. Or at least I think I was as far as I remember now !
Arenta

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on my experience with Alasala here. Embarassed

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=116691&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
enjangu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Business visas not a big deal in KSA Reply with quote

I've been working in Saudi for 3 years and initially came here on a business visa. After about three months, they sent me across the bridge to Bahrain to get a work visa and then I was on my way to an iqama. Employer paid all medical costs. It's a typical path that many schools take, and not one that should frighten you.

Many teachers in the Eastern Provice prefer working on business visas because you have more freedom to get up and go whenever you like. You don't have to get an additional multi entry visa, and if (god forbid) you need to flee the country, they employer has no ability to blacklist you from the GCC since they are not technically your employer but just a company you consult to.

In general, I can tell you the Saudi is nowhere near as scary as it seems by reading things on the internet, at least here in the liberal (relative to Saudi) Eastern Province. I have not been screwed over by either of the two institutions I've worked for (and the first was part of Colleges of Excellence, a horrible organization!)

I won't say that I haven't sacrificed things by being here, but I have also gained quite a bit. I am quite happy that I made this life choice and will be here probably until I retire.

All that said, you should know that the economic situation is tightening in the country with the government scaling back on scholarships for university students, so most colleges and universities are facing low enrollment. But if they end up laying you off after hiring you (beyond the 90 day probation period), they have to pay a substantial severance and provide you with transport back home.

Also, stick to private institutions (or semi private) as the Kingdom plans to have 100% Saudi professors by 2020 in public institutions. It's unlikely they'll succeed.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enjangu wrote:
I've been working in Saudi for 3 years and initially came here on a business visa. After about three months, they sent me across the bridge to Bahrain to get a work visa and then I was on my way to an iqama. Employer paid all medical costs. It's a typical path that many schools take...

Since you don't mention any employer/sponsor names, are your comments about Alasala, the subject of this thread? Or are you simply speaking in generalizations based on your personal experience working via business visas?
Lord T

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Business visas not a big deal in KSA Reply with quote

enjangu wrote:
I've been working in Saudi for 3 years and initially came here on a business visa. After about three months, they sent me across the bridge to Bahrain to get a work visa and then I was on my way to an iqama. Employer paid all medical costs. It's a typical path that many schools take, and not one that should frighten you.

With respect, it's not a typical path at all: most teachers have to return to their home country to apply for the work visa which leads to their getting an iqama.

I know of 2 people who did it in the way you stated: one worked for a company with considerable wasta and they needed him there asap; the other worked for QEHC and says he didn't want an iqama, but they made him have one!
ayatollah

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Bahrain Reply with quote

Brits can still obtain a work visa on Bahrain provided your employer has an agent. Agents don't come cheap. The service is there for engineers and the like, not usually for ELTs lower down the food chain. It's a loophole. All perfectly legit. No need to return to the UK.
Arenta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Business visas not a big deal in KSA Reply with quote

enjangu wrote:

I have not been screwed over by either of the two institutions I've worked for (and the first was part of Colleges of Excellence, a horrible organization!)

I've heard some things about CoEs. Can you explain what was horrible about them? It might be helpful for those considering employment with them at some point.

enjangu wrote:
so most colleges and universities are facing low enrollment. But if they end up laying you off after hiring you (beyond the 90 day probation period), they have to pay a substantial severance and provide you with transport back home.

That's useful to know. Thanks.

Since last posting on this and the other thread about the 'invitation letter' and writing to tell them this, a few weeks later I got an email from them saying they always bring people in on a business visa initially as this is quicker than getting an Iqama. But no acknowledgement of whether I would have to pay for it initially or they would reimburse later!

It doesn't matter how clearly and simply you put it to them, e.g. "will you be sending me the visa as stated in the interview, or will you be reimbursing the cost of it later?" it is impossible to get a straight answer. They seem to refuse to answer one way or another. Unbelievable. Rolling Eyes In the end I withdrew my application.
Arenta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "application" I mean withdrawing my acceptance of their offer as I hadn't applied in the first place. They contacted me saying I had accepted an offer from them last year. See further up the thread on this.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you aware that you can edit your posts? There is a button on the top right of every post and you can easily go back and re-word or add to what you wrote originally that might be confusing to readers.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: