Site Search:
 
Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

QEHC is now called QEC?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
scot47



Joined: 10 Jan 2003
Posts: 15204
Location: Respice post te! Hominem te esse memento! Memento mori!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it walks like a duck and QEHCs like a duck, it is a duck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
waltgomez



Joined: 03 Jul 2014
Posts: 84

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My impression, Dave is that they just didn't want to be bothered. And there was little communication among them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
waltgomez



Joined: 03 Jul 2014
Posts: 84

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
If it walks like a duck and QEHCs like a duck, it is a duck.


If it's QEHC, you've got to battle to get your CHECK.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
psychedelicacy



Joined: 05 Oct 2013
Posts: 159

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This company is spamming me. I've had to block @qehc.edu.sa.

How they got my details I don't know because I've never expressed any interest in their company.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sammysez



Joined: 20 Nov 2016
Posts: 101

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psychedelicacy wrote:
This company is spamming me. I've had to block @qehc.edu.sa.

How they got my details I don't know because I've never expressed any interest in their company.


We were just posting about desert recruiting doing the same and we've never applied. Same for other recruiters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
revilo



Joined: 05 Oct 2013
Posts: 166
Location: Mos Eisley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: I got spammed2 by QEC Reply with quote

They emailed an offer to teach at Hafir al Battin. 2 year contract, don't have to worry about renewal after 1 yr. Health care, paid housing. The only drawback is that they didn't mention pay, but with QEC's reputation, it's guaranteed to be lo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Arenta



Joined: 24 Jul 2016
Posts: 107

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see they're back to recruiting again. Last ad I saw was offering 12,000 SAR.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Captain Willard



Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 248

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it from a source in the U.S. consulate that they were required to assist multiple Americans exit KSA this year with QEHC work permits. This included at least one complaint of human trafficking, i.e., lies told in Bahrain to draw blood as a "new requirement" for a business visa, only to have been issued a work visa involuntarily. Once across the bridge, it took the U.S. consulate to facilitate the exit stamp to leave, which took months. This company stooped to new lows, even for KSA, i.e., treating Western English teachers like Asian workers.

Oh, and to repeat the consulate's advice, they recommend working in KSA on a consultant's visa, not a work visa. It makes their job easier, and it's perfectly legal.


Last edited by Captain Willard on Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
veiledsentiments



Joined: 20 Feb 2003
Posts: 17533
Location: USA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a consultant's visa? Never been mentioned here before. But it would be illegal to teach with it... although it seems that visas for education purposes are not enforced.

VS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nomad soul



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 11037
Location: The real world

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Willard wrote:
I have it from a source in the U.S. consulate that they were required to assist multiple Americans exit KSA this year with QEHC work permits. This included at least one complaint of human trafficking, i.e., lies told in Bahrain to draw blood as a "new requirement" for a business visa, only to have been issued a work visa involuntarily. Once across the bridge, it took the U.S. consulate to facilitate the exit stamp to leave, which took months.

Oh, and to repeat the consulate's advice, they recommend working in KSA on a consultant's visa, not a work visa. It makes their job easier, and it's perfectly legal.

Consultants enter KSA via a business visa for the purpose of doing business.

They claimed they were issued a work visa rather than a biz visa without their consent? A work/employment visa requires way more than just a blood draw; a full physical exam and chest x-ray also have to be performed. Additionally, those "duped" Americans would have had to provide a US criminal background report as well as submit their degree and TEFL cert to the SACM for authentication presumably while still in the US. They either missed those obvious red flags or didn't pay attention to the type of visa they'd be issued when they said yes to working for this sketchy company.

and Captain Willard wrote:
This company stooped to new lows, even for KSA, i.e., treating Western English teachers like Asian workers.

Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Captain Willard



Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 248

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

Consultants enter KSA via a business visa for the purpose of doing business.


No government visit, business, and consultant are three different visa types. Asks the consulate to explain it to you, but it is their recommendation that anyone working in KSA get a consultant visa. They are hard to come by, but I have had one. If issued, the bearer can remain in KSA for six months before needing to exit and reenter and it's good for several years. They also may be issued to important people with status, like a guy who had a Ph.D. but was a disgraced former university president who couldn't refrain from driving when not sober. Thus, he couldn't get a proper work visa. However, they are not favored, and there may be some pressure to get a work visa, not because it is illegal to work with one, but because employers like to have more control over employees here.

nomad soul wrote:
They claimed they were issued a work visa rather than a biz visa without their consent? A work/employment visa requires way more than just a blood draw; a full physical exam and chest x-ray also have to be performed. Additionally, those "duped" Americans would have had to provide a US criminal background report as well as submit their degree and TEFL cert to the SACM for authentication presumably while still in the US. They either missed those obvious red flags or didn't pay attention to the type of visa they'd be issued when they said yes to working for this sketchy company.


The visa was processed as if the American had Bahraini citizenship or residency, which was false. If any criminal background check was ever performed, it was done in Bahrain. No, full physical, lab tests for exotic diseases, U.S. criminal background check, nor notarized degree were ever completed in the U.S. Thus, the American was quite surprised to learn that a work visa had been issued, rather than a typical business/visit visa.

veiledsentiments wrote:
What is a consultant's visa? Never been mentioned here before. But it would be illegal to teach with it... although it seems that visas for education purposes are not enforced.


Well now, my dear, if you had actually worked at some time in KSA, you might know these things. According to the U.S. consulate, it is not only legal, but the preferred way to work in the Magic Kingdom. Now who should we believe, someone who has never worked in KSA, or the U.S. consulate?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nomad soul



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 11037
Location: The real world

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Willard wrote:
No government visit, business, and consultant are three different visa types. Asks the consulate to explain it to you, but it is their recommendation that anyone working in KSA get a consultant visa. They are hard to come by, but I have had one. If issued, the bearer can remain in KSA for six months before needing to exit and reenter and it's good for several years. They also may be issued to important people with status... However, they are not favored, and there may be some pressure to get a work visa, not because it is illegal to work with one, but because employers like to have more control over employees here.

I wouldn't rely on the US consulate to explain any Saudi visa to me. Besides, if I ever returned to KSA for work, it would only be via an employment visa and again, as a direct hire.

Here's the 4-1-1 about consultant visas: A consultant visa is difficult to obtain. In fact, it's not even indicated on the Saudi Embassy's (US) visa page. Moreover, employers/sponsors (and not job applicants) determine the type of visa potential workers can be issued per the MOI.

and Captain Willard wrote:
The visa was processed as if the American had Bahraini citizenship or residency, which was false. If any criminal background check was ever performed, it was done in Bahrain. No, full physical, lab tests for exotic diseases, U.S. criminal background check, nor notarized degree were ever completed in the U.S. Thus, the American was quite surprised to learn that a work visa had been issued, rather than a typical business/visit visa.

Which is why job candidates should get their visa application processed while in their country of residence -- before heading straight to Saudi Arabia. That should have been another red flag. There's no need to stop in Bahrain for a biz visa.

Anyway, QEHC/QEC has had a reputation for being a stinker since they popped on the scene about 3-4 years ago.
.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
veiledsentiments



Joined: 20 Feb 2003
Posts: 17533
Location: USA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Willard wrote:
veiledsentiments wrote:
What is a consultant's visa? Never been mentioned here before. But it would be illegal to teach with it... although it seems that visas for education purposes are not enforced.

Well now, my dear, if you had actually worked at some time in KSA, you might know these things. According to the U.S. consulate, it is not only legal, but the preferred way to work in the Magic Kingdom. Now who should we believe, someone who has never worked in KSA, or the U.S. consulate?

The US consulate would be way down the list of preferred sources for proper legal Saudi education employment visas. That group has always been pretty hopeless.

And with the zillion threads on employment visas on the Saudi board, no teachers have mentioned that they had come in to teach on one.

I'd guess that there is a very good reason for that. Laughing ...my dear...

VS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
scot47



Joined: 10 Jan 2003
Posts: 15204
Location: Respice post te! Hominem te esse memento! Memento mori!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did 17 years with 4 different employers over the period 1970 to 2008 in KSA. I have never come across a teacher with the exalted status of "consultant" or one who worked on a "consultant visa". Mind you, I never consorted with the Great and the Good at the US Consulate
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Arenta



Joined: 24 Jul 2016
Posts: 107

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:



There's no need to stop in Bahrain for a biz visa.


There might not be a need as such but it seems to be a common thing. A friend of mine recently working in Saudi was sent to Bahrain from her home country to get a biz visa for Saudi. Several other teachers from various countries - US, U.K, S. Africa, Ireland and even Georgia in E. Europe were sent to Bahrain to get the same biz visa. Lots of others here have talked about getting a biz visa/renewal from Bahrain as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2018 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Teaching Jobs in China
Teaching Jobs in China