Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

At age 62, where can I work?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatcher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: At age 62, where can I work? Reply with quote

I know each province is different, can anyone suggest some places?
Foo_Fighters_Dave

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the cut off date 60?
jaybet3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work with a guy who is 60. He's got a ton of experience, PhD, etc.

If the school is desperate enough for teachers, he says they can sometimes make an exception.

Which means a school most other teachers don't want to work.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a difference between starting off in China at 60+ and being renewed in the same job at 60+.
donkeydonkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest the inland provinces. I have worked with many people over 60 in Henan because they have a harder time finding FTs. Some also see older teachers as less likely to date the students even though it doesn't always work out that way.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP could try, but please have an exit plan. Also the further West you go the more expensive it will be go leave and return (from HK, Korea or Japan) on a new tourist visa.
happeningthang

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way the rules are being applied now being over the set age limit is a non-starter.

It used to be that there was a lot of flex and grey areas in how these rules were applied. Now the pendulum has swung to its opposite extreme and every rule applies every time no exceptions.

We've had perfect candidates, masters degrees, HSK 5 Chinese language level, every document checked and authenticated - even actually entered on a Z-visa - and STILL asked to go back and do it all again.

One flat denied because of a moving violation in their Criminal Check and one because of the phrasing used by the notary public.

There is no leeway no more.

Hate to say it, but winter is coming people.
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet my friend who is 69 was offered another renewal in Xi'an.
happeningthang

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A renewal is not the same as a new application...
hz88

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly limits your options but it is not impossible. You probably would stand a better chance with the inland provinces.

We are in Xi'an and just hired a new teacher who is 62 and everything went through okay, the only proviso being that the FEB insisted the applicant have his own medical insurance and insisted on proof of it.

The schools will know themselves whether you have a chance or not so if you keep trying you will find somewhere that can get you a work and resident permit but it might not be in a major location. Good luck!
JamesD

Location: "As far as I'm concerned bacon comes from a magical happy place."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word this term in the northeast is no new Z visa for anybody who is 60 or will be 60 within a year. No exceptions, but renewals are ok.
lionheartuk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now 61 and have been at this school for ten years. I got a renewal last July. Prior to that it was a renewal for 6 months- Feb to July.

The reason I got another contract was because of how long I have been at this school. No chance otherwise.

I hope to do another year after this then I can have enough cash to retire on along with my Forces pension.

However my passport expires in Sept 2019 so I am not sure on another year's contract or if that has an affect on things.
rioux

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Hatcher,

I sent you a private message.
asiannationmc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2017-08/21/content_30912989.htm

Quote:
Gao Tianrui, a 62-year-old American man, has become an internet celebrity after creating a video to apply to become a "Xicheng Dama".

"Xicheng Dama" refers to a group of volunteers who roam Xicheng District in central Beijing acting as public security volunteers. 70% of them are female aged 58 to 65.

He's lived in Beijing for 22 years, but first arrived in Taiwan from the US to learn the language in 1973.

"I'm more than interested in China and Chinese language," said Gao, "I love China's traditional Taoism culture."

His Chinese name was given to him by the captain of the ship he took to Taiwan. His English name is Terry Crossman.

Majoring in the Chinese language and culture studies in university, Gao would move back to the United States, working in New York after graduation.

He was eventually transferred by his company to work in Hong Kong.

"During the 12 years in Hong Kong, I learned how to speak Cantonese and had two children with my wife from Singapore," said Gao.

Gao Tianrui was then transferred to his company's Beijing office in 1995.

However, Gao now finds himself in a bind, as his office in Beijing has now shut down, and he would prefer to remain in Beijing.

"I'm acquainted with many foreigners here," said Gao. "Sometimes I go to the pub with my buddies and listen to blues."

Now divorced and without a house in Beijing, Gao has been staying on a student visa, which will expire on September 8, 2017.

"I've already received offers from some companies, yet we haven't signed a contract," said Gao. "It's regrettable that there isn't a retiree's visa in China. As for whether I can stay in Beijing, let it be."

Quote:
People's Daily, China
August 28 at 4:30pm ·
Passionate about China, 62-year-old American “Xicheng Dama” becomes online hit
“I’ve got a bunch of Renminribao (People’s Daily) people interviewing me,” said Terry Crossman, with a smile on his face via WeChat to his friend. “Next week I’ve got CCTV, Zhejiang TV, and even BBC lined up.”
Crossman is a 62-year-old American man who describes himself as a “real Beijing gentleman” after having lived in China’s capital for over 22 years. He became an online celebrity after a video of him applying to become a “Xicheng Dama” went viral.
“Xicheng Dama” refers to a group of volunteers who roam Xicheng District in central Beijing acting as public security volunteers. Some 70 percent of them are females aged 58 to 65.
“‘Dama’ means auntie, because most of the volunteers are female. I call myself a ‘Xicheng Daye,’ which means an uncle doing volunteer work in Xicheng District,” Crossman said in fluent Mandarin with a Beijing dialect as he laughed out loud. He can also speak fluent Cantonese, because he had worked in Hong Kong for 12 years as a headhunter before coming to Beijing.
Now he teaches English and Chinese for free to those interested in cultural immersion. Without a job in Beijing, Crossman has been staying on a student visa, which will expire on September 8.
“I’ve received offers from companies, but I haven’t signed a contract yet,” said Crossman. “It’s too bad there isn’t a special visa for retirees. We’ll see if I can stay in Beijing.”
He said his fame as a foreign “Xicheng Dama” is only temporary and will eventually fade. As for his love for Beijing and Chinese culture, “never,” he said.
http://en.people.cn/n3/2017/0828/c90882-9261050.html

Quote:
Passionate about China, 62-year-old American “Xicheng Dama” becomes online hit
By Liu Ning (People's Daily Online) 11:05, August 28, 2017

“I’ve got a bunch of Renminribao (People’s Daily) people interviewing me,” said Terry Crossman, with a smile on his face via WeChat to his friend. “Next week I’ve got CCTV, Zhejiang TV, and even BBC lined up.”
Crossman is a 62-year-old American man who describes himself as a “real Beijing gentleman” after having lived in China’s capital for over 22 years. He became an online celebrity after a video of him applying to become a “Xicheng Dama” went viral.

Crossman is a 62-year-old American man who describes himself as a“real Beijing gentleman”
“Xicheng Dama” refers to a group of volunteers who roam Xicheng District in central Beijing acting as public security volunteers. Some 70 percent of them are females aged 58 to 65.
“‘Dama’ means auntie, because most of the volunteers are female. I call myself a ‘Xicheng Daye,’ which means an uncle doing volunteer work in Xicheng District,” Crossman said in fluent Mandarin with a Beijing dialect as he laughed out loud. He can also speak fluent Cantonese, because he had worked in Hong Kong for 12 years as a headhunter before coming to Beijing.

He loves Beijing's "Hutong" (alleyway) culture and has lived in Beijing for 22 years
Now he teaches English and Chinese for free to those interested in cultural immersion. Without a job in Beijing, Crossman has been staying on a student visa, which will expire on September 8.
“I’ve received offers from companies, but I haven’t signed a contract yet,” said Crossman. “It’s too bad there isn’t a special visa for retirees. We’ll see if I can stay in Beijing.”
He said his fame as a foreign “Xicheng Dama” is only temporary and will eventually fade. As for his love for Beijing and Chinese culture, “never,” he said.
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:
OP could try, but please have an exit plan. Also the further West you go the more expensive it will be go leave and return (from HK, Korea or Japan) on a new tourist visa.

On the flipside, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Mongolia also have very relaxed visa-free regimes for foreigners and are much cheaper to stay in while waiting for the visa. Kazakhstan is very easy to enter and re-enter from, too. Just wanted to put that put there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: