Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Psychotropic Meds and depression
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have scanning machines for that.

That read the label?
Wow I am out of touch.
Alien abductee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:
They have scanning machines for that.

That read the label?
Wow I am out of touch.

Well, that's what secondary inspections are for Very Happy
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put medications in my carry-on. It's scanned by the Death Ray machine. They see the pills, but no one ever asks what they are. I carry high BP pills, a year's supply of vitamin B12 and a couple of other things, but I've never been asked to open my bag,

Not in the U.S. nor in China.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Future offensive, insulting, flaming postings here will see makers of same promptly provided a permanent exit order.
Milwaukiedave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP:

I have taken medication into China several times and had no problem (I even got cheese into China, but that is a different story). I've worked in China twice and I can tell you from experience some medications are available and some are not. The laws also prevent doctors from prescribing some medications together. For instance, I was on three different kinds of sleeping pills in Korea and in China I was told I had to choose one. The medication is also ungodly expensive without insurance (your insurance will likely not cover it). I believe for a month it cost me 1100 RMB (about $167) compared to about $50 in Korea with insurance (granted I pay for half of insurance here).

As to whether you should go, that really is your own call. Over on the Korean Jobs Board I've seen people ask for advice about depression and people tell them not to come here. I've been in Asia for 14 years (mostly in Korea thank god) and adjusted just fine. For me personally, China was a little bit rougher, but that could be that I have adjusted so well to Korea that it is just more comfortable for me. The chances of finding an English speaking doctor there will depend upon what city you are in. I was last in Beijing and found doctors that spoke English but I had to go in and wait for them to find those specific doctors for me. The fact that you have Chinese friends will help a lot. Don't talk about your situation with ANYONE related to the school (I'd say exactly the same for Korea too). They will fire you in a heartbeat.

Good luck!
Timer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerwilco wrote:
Marinx wrote:
but check with Chinese customs anyway.

I know it is not the "right" thing to do, but I would never give Chinese customs the opportunity to harass me or demand a bribe.

I have brought a years supply of several medications into China , several times, and I have never been stopped. I have never heard of anyone being stopped for this.

The last time I flew into China, my wife and I had 2 small suitcases (carry on type) filled with pills and medicine to sell to people in China. The customs people sent all our stuff through a machine and that was it; they didn't say anything. It was the first time the customs people had even bothered me.

With prescription stuff it's probably safe to have some documents to go with them, but once you're through the airport there aren't many other chances of getting stuff confiscated (unless you get caught up in some kind of drug sweep).
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to get permission"

Should probably be applied to almost anything regarding China.
Marinx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timer wrote:
The last time I flew into China, my wife and I had 2 small suitcases (carry on type) filled with pills and medicine to sell to people in China. The customs people sent all our stuff through a machine and that was it; they didn't say anything. It was the first time the customs people had even bothered me.

With prescription stuff it's probably safe to have some documents to go with them, but once you're through the airport there aren't many other chances of getting stuff confiscated (unless you get caught up in some kind of drug sweep).

Well, I don't know how you get suitcases full of medication to sell or how you determine what medication someone actually needs. Maybe you're a pharmacist and you require a prescription before you dispense medication, like we do.

I only speak from my perspective of shipping medication into China from a licensed pharmacy. 95% chance of an order arriving by regular mail is simply standard deviation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: