Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching ESL to people in China over the internet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leretif9

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Teaching ESL to people in China over the internet Reply with quote

Hi there,

Does anyone out there have experience teaching ESL to Chinese students over the internet?

If so, can you share the pluses and minuses of your experiences here? Companies to recommend or warn against?

I'm on the East Coast of the U.S., and one drawback I'd imagine is the difference in the hours between where I'm at and Shanghai/Beijing. I assume this might be aimed at little kids who I doubt they will be up to learning English at 8 to 10 p.m.

My qualifications are: native Speaker of English from the U.S., BA in English and a TEFL certificate.

Thanks.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click on this link or copy and paste it into your browser to access the survey: https://uiowa.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_7PvS1HhC6TnfDyl

Elizabeth Plummer (PhD candidate) is surveying experience of online teachers.
Please complete the survey via the link above.
It could be the way our world is moving. Smile
creeper1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an extremely long thread with posters detailing their experiences.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=102710
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that I'm not getting from browsing through the advertisements for these online outfits is what sort of support I'll get from the company. Though I have hundreds (if not thousands) of original written materials, I have nothing to use as a visual aid. Is the tutor expected to produce his own Powerpoints?

How about conversational English? Is the teacher given some sort of help in structuring the tutorial to the supposed tests? Scripts? Outlines? Syllabi?
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will tell you about the companies I either work for, have worked for, or know about first hand from a close friend. Open English gives you everything, the lessons are prepared and loaded into the classes, you are free to add extra questions and personalize them as you see fit. Little to no prep time if you are an experienced teacher. Ditto for Open English Jr, the kid division. Learnlight allows students to give you an idea of what they would like to do and then you can select from their large catalog of lessons. Some prep time (unpaid) but great, motivated students. English Town is very similar to Open English, lessons are prepared and they want them taught a certain way. The last place I know about is VIPKids, lessons are prepared and there is little to do prep once you are familiar with the lessons. I would completely avoid Cambly, very low pay and most of the male students are just looking for cute young things to be inappropriate with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: