Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When are you too old?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IvanaShaanxi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theoriginalprankster wrote:
Quote:
I am a South African in my 50's but look 38

Let us in on the secret.

I'm 38, and look 38.

(Also a Saffa in Asia)

I'm 42, and I look 42. Pleased to meet ya!

Would I find issues getting work in Vietnam at my age, could anyone tell?

Thanks!
sigmoid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demand for NES English teachers is still fairly high in VN.

If you can amuse the kids, control the teens and/or make IELTS test prep seem interesting, you've likely got a job for the next 20 - 30 years.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think age shouldn't stop anyone from teaching English...if it is your passion than just do it. I have several colleagues currently teaching English in Vietnam....and a few of them are over 60 + years old. Don't worry about your age...and you could even look younger as you grow older! Very Happy
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: When are you too old? Reply with quote

Chroniclesoffreedom wrote:
Okay. So at 25 years old I'm still young. However I'm thinking about my life long term. I thought about going to China and I considered Taiwan as well. However since China is a place where foreigners will always be singled out socially (to a degree anyway) I'm thinking about Indonesia, Japan, Thailand, maybe Korea.

I know that once you reach a specific age, many schools won't even consider hiring you. Whether it be at language centers, or whatever. I also know that it can vary depending on which country you go to. So for the time being, can anyone share with me their opinions on what age of people start to have trouble getting ESL jobs per country?

2 years later, any update? Smile

BTW as long as you can find some way to stay legally on some sort of visa you can stay in any country as long as you can keep getting a visa. However this means always being a little worried should there ever be a crackdown, but the best means is to have a next egg back home that you got stashed away... rental property is ideal. You need to think about the long term plan not just the next TEFL adventure LOL Razz
La Reve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 63, getting a teacher visa for China seemed complicated. The only other place that I found that took teachers over 60 was Turkey. Age on the passport matters for a legal visa, not your looks. Did three years there but with its present political situation, I would not go there now.
Pinkpiglet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where can one go at 60, La Reve?
sigmoid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinkpiglet wrote:
So where can one go at 60?

Well, what I said above about Viet Nam is still somewhat true:

Quote:
Demand for NES English teachers is still fairly high in VN.

If you can amuse the kids, control the teens and/or make IELTS test prep seem interesting, you've likely got a job for the next 20 - 30 years.

although I think more people are coming now, many are non-native speakers. Also, I'm not sure why I said this: "you've likely got a job for the next 20 - 30 years."

Maybe I meant "2 or 3"? Very Happy

There are also old folks teaching in Laos and you might check out what's happening in Myanmar.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinkpiglet wrote:
So where can one go at 60, La Reve?

For legal work, Thailand or Cambodia - you can still get a visa if you are over 60 but finding employment, unless you are there in person, is problematic.

For illegal work (no proper visa or work permits) then anywhere in SE Asia but be aware of the risks before you head for your preferred destination.

IF you are American then the US protectorates are also an option and age is not a factor (Micronesia, Samoa, etc).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: