Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs for people aged 60+

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frances10

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Jobs for people aged 60+ Reply with quote

I am starting out rather later in life having just turned 60 (completed a TESOL and 4 months teaching experience in India earlier this year) and know that there can be problems getting jobs in some countries if their retirement age is set at 60.
Any experiences of restrictions or postive stories would be very helpful.
rioux

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Frances,

Please check your message box. I sent you a private message.

Rioux
Grenouille

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Frances,

I work in Moscow and there seems to be no upper age limit here. We have a few older teachers in our school.

Of course Moscow and Russia aren't for everyone - do your research before you go anywhere Smile
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of East Asia is off the map for you in regards to LEGAL work.
There are lots of old guys working but their stay is based on a "Retirement" visa.

In most cases they fall into a gray area regarding work but a retirement visa is NOT a work visa. Some countries allow you to work on a retirement visa. Some do not.

Some countries like Cambidoa and Myanmar allow you to purchase a "Business" visa without an upper age limit and you can work on that but you end up doing a border / visa run every 70-90 days (depending on the country).

If you are American there are always the states of Micronesia and the American protectorates where you can work with minimal visa issues and no age related legalities.

simon44

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Some countries like Cambidoa and Myanmar allow you to purchase a "Business" visa without an upper age limit and you can work on that but you end up doing a border / visa run every 70-90 days (depending on the country).

I teach in Myanmar - I'm 58 years old and my school wants me to teach until I'm 70 years old, if I'm able and willing Smile

Just to clarify the above comment, the issuance of the business visa has to be supported by documentation from your employer, but now it is possible to obtain a 1-year, multiple entry business visa from the Myanmar embassy in Bangkok. (They initially issue a 3-month visa, then 6-month visa on your next visa-run and finally a 1-year visa after that).

Additionally, as a foreigner, it is now possible to obtain permanent residence in Myanmar after 3 years of employment. PR entitles you to a renewable, 5-year visa, (but you have to be employed).
srbscott

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turn 62 in November and have an upcoming position in Guatemala City.i do have a ton of experience, but basically Guate is not over run with applicants.
sammysez

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some recruiters in Saudi Arabia will hire you, but you will not receive an actual Iquama, but a business visa, Same pay and everything.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a degree you can work at the same place as me in the Philippines. I'm 61 and not even close to being the oldest. It's office based online teaching.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Thailand and just had my teacher's license renewal for another 5 years (I will be mid 60's).

While the cutoff used to be 60 it has recently been raised to 65.

Getting passed the ageism to actually get the job is another matter. In most cases your initial hiring, if you are older, may be based more on their desperation for a NES teacher than your qualifications as an educator.

Once you land the job, where and how you move forward from there is up to you and your classroom performance.

You won't find any jobs while sitting at home. You need to be IN Thailand to even be considered. The same is true for other SE Asian countries.

schwa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happily employed in Micronesia at 64 where age doesn't matter if you're a healthy & effective teacher. Marginal wages though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: