Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Requirements for English-medium teachers in ADEC schools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Requirements for English-medium teachers in ADEC schools Reply with quote

The following is from a major recruiting agency for the UAE (to remain unnamed) and is a description of the requirements to teach English and/or subjects in English in ADEC (public) schools:

Quote:
Before you apply to teaching jobs in UAE, let us review the basic requirements necessary to qualify. First off, most of the positions we recruit for in Abu Dhabi require a degree in education and a valid teaching license. When we say teaching license, we are not referring to a TEFL certificate or CELTA; you must be a licensed teacher, certified to teach one, or multiple, core subjects at the state, provincial or national level.

In the U.S., if you teach in the public school system, you will have a valid state teaching license -- alternative certifications, such as those obtained online without a practical component, will not be accepted. In Canada, teaching licenses are issued provincially; if you teach at a public school in Toronto, you will be registered with the Ontario College of Teachers. In places such as the U.K. and South Africa, teaching licenses are issued at the national level. Therefore, in order to be considered for positions in the UAE, specifically with the Abu Dhabi Education Council (ADEC), you will need a valid QTS or S.A.C.E.

Please bear in mind, many of the positions in Abu Dhabi are looking for well trained, qualified and experienced professional educators. You will not be considered for a position fresh out of teacher’s college. In order to meet the minimum requirements, you must possess at least one year of full-time teaching experience, or the equivalent of. Long-term substitute or supply teaching is taken into consideration, but, in almost all circumstances, you will need to provide a record of employment from the school board, or school, in order to be credited for this experience.

Experience teaching in public schools, or an equivalent curriculum is a must, with a few exceptions here and there, and on an individual basis. If, for instance, you have experience teaching overseas in a private school that operates on an outcomes based curriculum, similar to that used in the U.K. or U.S., for example, we will consider your application. Also, your teaching experience must be recent. If you taught for a few years in the early ‘90’s, but have not taught since that time, your application will more than likely be declined.

Also, please make sure you apply for a position you are actually qualified for. For example, ADEC breaks it down into “Cycles”. Cycle 1 teachers are those certified to teach elementary school, Cycle 2 applicants must be certified to teach middle school math, science or English (or a combination of these subjects) and Cycle 3 teachers must be certified to teach high school English and have a BA in English. Remember, you will be teaching core subjects in English in the Abu Dhabi public school system -- these positions are not ESL jobs.

dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

And it ain't that well paid.....

OK for teaching couples ie double the salary but singlies' expenses.
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Requirements for English teaching in ADEC Schools Reply with quote

[size=12]Strong classroom management skills are also crucial which comes with experience in the classroom. Of course, I'm finding that to be beneficial at the college level, too.

I wonder what the salary range is now; in 2014, it was relatively low and the accommodations quite diminutive. Most of the teachers I knew were single so as dragonpiwo noted, that was doable and they seemed to enjoy a decent social life.

PS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated above per the requirements, these are not ESL positions.

Per a current posting for 2018:
Quote:
• Salary: $3,300-$5,500 USD/month
• Included Benefits (covered by the employer as part of your contract): accommodation in a private apartment (1 to 3 bedrooms, depending on family size), return airfare and health insurance - both for you and your family, paid vacation (2 months + national holidays)
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

It looks like a lot of money but it isn't. VAT's coming in October I think.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Making progress Reply with quote

Quote:
Experience teaching in public schools, or an equivalent curriculum is a must, with a few exceptions here and there, and on an individual basis. If, for instance, you have experience teaching overseas in a private school that operates on an outcomes based curriculum, similar to that used in the U.K. or U.S., for example, we will consider your application. Also, your teaching experience must be recent. If you taught for a few years in the early ‘90’s, but have not taught since that time, your application will more than likely be declined.

Interesting! 20 years ago when I started teaching EFL at the tertiary level, my K-12 certification counted for nothing. I often thought to myself, "Why are they attacking the problem at this level? Why not in the public schools?" I also found that lessons for 6 graders worked very well for most of my 18 year old female students. After 20 years of teaching in university Prep Programs, I am now told that my EFL experience counts for nothing.

I hope these initiatives work for them. The previous 20 years have certainly been beneficial for me.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:

Newsflash: Not everyone is as money focused as you nor shares your spending habits. Besides, people are taxed on their home soil, among other costs.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
dragonpiwo wrote:

Newsflash: Not everyone is as money focused as you nor shares your spending habits. Besides, people are taxed on their home soil, among other costs.

Newsflash: every member here is welcome to post their own opinion about money. It is simply to be expected that some of those opinions will differ.

veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A major issue for Dragon's posts is that he is one of the few people eligible for a very specific high pay job that 98+% of all TEFL teachers in the Gulf will never be able to get. He rarely makes that clear.

He feeds the unrealistic expectations that people have of the pay in this part of the EFL world. And he is often a bit condescending to those who have to take less...

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto that -- it's all about perspective. Plus, these aren't jobs in the oil industry.

There are licensed, seasoned k12 teachers in the States whose disposable income (after taxes) is less than that entry-level, UAE tax-free salary of $3300. And they're taxed on goods and services in the US and have to make mortgage or rent payments, which doesn't leave much in terms of savings. The ADEC opportunity will certainly appeal to qualified American teachers in this situation.

This thread highlights the specific requirements for ADEC schools within the new educational system. Job seekers can figure out if the pay is doable for their personal financial goals.
ahmedeteacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Requirements for English-medium teachers in ADEC schools Reply with quote

I've been talking to a recruiter, and she said that I'm not eligible to work with ADEC because I do not have 2 years of "Post-certificate" experience.

I want to further understand their requirements because what is quoted above does not mention post certificate experience. I have 2 years experience of teaching full time, I have a conditional certificate that I acquired from the state of New York until I graduate from college with my masters in December. By December of this year, I will have my initial teaching certificate with 2+ years of experience and a masters degree in education, so I'm kind of confused how I wont be eligible to work with ADEC?

I understand that it says that I cannot work straight from teachers college, but my situation is different as I am working full time while attending my masters program.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahmedeteacher wrote:
I've been talking to a recruiter, and she said that I'm not eligible to work with ADEC because I do not have 2 years of "Post-certificate" experience.

I want to further understand their requirements because what is quoted above does not mention post certificate experience. I have 2 years experience of teaching full time, I have a conditional certificate that I acquired from the state of New York until I graduate from college with my masters in December. By December of this year, I will have my initial teaching certificate with 2+ years of experience and a masters degree in education, so I'm kind of confused how I wont be eligible to work with ADEC?

Generally, direct-hire positions in the GCC require post-qualification experience. What is your bachelor's degree in? Is it relevant to the subject you're presently teaching? That should be an advantage. However, I suspect your teaching experience would likely meet the requirement once you obtain your initial license in December. You can then reapply to the ADEC positions. (Clarify this with the recruiter and ask what you'd need from the school district as verification.)
ahmedeteacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
ahmedeteacher wrote:

Generally, direct-hire positions in the GCC require post-qualification experience. What is your bachelor's degree in? Is it relevant to the subject you're presently teaching? That should be an advantage. However, I suspect your teaching experience would likely meet the requirement once you obtain your initial license in December. You can then reapply to the ADEC positions. (Clarify this with the recruiter and ask what you'd need from the school district as verification.)

My bachelors is in a unrelated subject. I have an undergrad in Technology and a masters in English. Do you think that might affect it? I am going to reapply when I get my degree/cert in December.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahmedeteacher wrote:
My bachelors is in a unrelated subject. I have an undergrad in Technology and a masters in English. Do you think that might affect it?

I'm sure that's why the recruiter said you didn't qualify since your completed degree major must be in the subject you teach. The school district you work in certainly wouldn't have hired you to teach middle or high school English with an IT degree, nor would it have qualified you for a conditional teaching cert for English.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: