Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are you safe from the Sept. 19, 2017 quake?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Are you safe from the Sept. 19, 2017 quake? Reply with quote

Just hope everybody is OK. Prayers and support to all!
Phil_K

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fine, thanks. We live on the top floor of five, so the journey to the street was a bit rough, but no damage to the building. Found quite a few things on the floor when we returned ... including a now-useless TV screen. Still feeling the shock, though!
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. It was just school release time and I was in my kid's school. Came home to stuff on the floor (some smashed) and a tramatized dog. I later learned from neighbors that a nearby bee hive (live on the very edge of town) got shook up, the bees swarmed and attacked the dogs who were emclosed our back patios. The dogs later died from the stings Crying or Very sad kind of a freak earthquake occurance.
i
I am still quite shaken.

ETA: I'm in contact with most of the long term members on Facebook, and they are safe. Also those in Queretaro and Guadalajara were not affected.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't usually get emotionally affected by tremors, but I think what happened this time was making the error of thinking that the earlier quake was the "big one" we were expecting sooner or later, and being lulled into a false sense of security. These last few days have been difficult, piling stress on top of other stresses that I already had, but obviously nothing compared to those that have lost homes and family members. I'm also lucky enough to be out of the country for the next two weekends - and out of the country (and continent!) next month.
notamiss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are ok but plenty of our neighbours aren't. Some of our neighbours had damaged houses, and fallen walls. In the next block, it turned out that there is a small fault line running through the zone. It was clearly visible in the property of a garage-workshop, where the line ran through the yard diagonally, and about 1/4 of the yard sank more than half a metre. The people on one side of the street on that block are waiting for an assessment and if the zone is ruled inhabitable because of the fault they may have to leave even if their houses are ok.
Some of our bookshelves and an armoire fell over. We've never had anything fall inside the house before. It's eerie and bizarre what things didn't fall, considering that the shaking was strong enough to knock heavy furniture over. I didn't lose a single dish or glass.
We got electricity back after about 3 days, and then it still kept going off several times. There is no water supply in the system but there are pipas coming through every day. I don't expect to get water back any time soon.
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been avoiding watching that video of the trajineras on the cannals that is going around.

notamiss wrote:

It's eerie and bizarre what things didn't fall, considering that the shaking was strong enough to knock heavy furniture over. I didn't lose a single dish or glass..

While I did lose some classes and some artesanias, we also had the experience of why didn't that break eerieness. I found three caguama and two regular beer bottle on the floor, they fell from a shelf six feet off the floor but didn't break at all.

I live in one of these government housing estates and several of my neighbors are going to lose their homes. I'm lucky my house in intack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: