Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job opportunities with no MA? Where can I teach?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azurariverja

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Job opportunities with no MA? Where can I teach? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I recently moved back home to the US after teaching ESL in Tokyo for 5 years and completed a CELTA course. I have a BA in an unrelated field (Animal Science) but no MA.

I was hoping a CELTA would open some opportunities for me in the Middle East, but after looking around a bit it seems like most job opportunities require an MA, especially in places like the UAE and Oman. Do I need to completely give up on those places, or is there a chance I can find something? If not, are there other parts of the Middle East I can teach in with a comfortable living situation?

I'd love to hear thoughts/experiences on the matter. Thanks in advance!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you're not licensed to teach k12, you're limited to adult learners. The majority of those positions in the GCC require a TESOL-related degree, usually at the master's level. The exception is Saudi Arabia where there are contracting companies that advertise openings with flexible requirements. If you're interested in pursuing a job in KSA, be sure to research the company before agreeing to an offer.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Job opportunities with no MA? Where can I teach? Reply with quote

azurariverja wrote:
I recently moved back home to the US after teaching ESL in Tokyo for 5 years and completed a CELTA course. I have a BA in an unrelated field (Animal Science) but no MA.

Would "Animal Science" have any relevance to Equestrian Management? Probably not, but people do have to be very creative when looking for a job nowadays in the Gulf. In the market there has been a flood of professionals who have been let go, all with Masters and years of experience in Gulf education.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not believe everything you read. A job advert may state "MA holders only" but reality may force the employer to accept those with lesser qualifications. When i was recruiting I looked for evidence of sanity and solid experience, preferably in the Gulf. Sanity was the hardest quality to find.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying for a job at a College of Excellence in Saudi Arabia may be a good option.
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Do not believe everything you read. A job advert may state "MA holders only" but reality may force the employer to accept those with lesser qualifications. When i was recruiting I looked for evidence of sanity and solid experience, preferably in the Gulf. Sanity was the hardest quality to find.

Seconded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: