Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions from Someone with Zero Teaching Experience
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dream_Seller

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GHL wrote:
There's no such thing as a reasonable career path 'back home'. Because that would involve living 'back home'.

Rather earn peanuts in SEA than have the big house, white fence, and 2 cars on the driveway back home.

Yes +1
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vegetivita wrote:
Thanks for all the quick replies and great information!

Quote:
Vietnam requires a B.A. for a work permit to teach legally.

I was not aware of that. Suddenly I am much less confident about going without a degree.

In addition to having no teaching experience, I also have no traveling experience so I don't fully understand visas/work permits. As a non-Vietnamese citizen, I would have to return to my home country (U.S.) once my travel visa expired, correct? But if I had a valid work permit, I could remain there indefinitely?

I took a peek back a few pages on the forum to see if I could find threads regarding teaching without a work permit, but I couldn't find anything within the past ~2 years and anything further back may be outdated. Can anyone give me information on what that's like? Obviously the jobs will be from less reputable sources but in what situation would I be "caught" and sent back to the U.S.?

I'm just looking for any reason to come there as soon as possible.

Curious, how did you arrive at this need to be in Vietnam ASAP as an "unqualified teacher"? If it has anything to do with internet romance then I would highly suggest getting a degree first then heading off on adventure.

Are there people who teach in SE Asia illegally? Sure. Is it wise? Probably not.

You might not get caught and deported (As you seem to be worried about from the above post) but you will not work for any of the better schools. Places like ILA, VUS, Wall Street, Apollo & international schools are all off the table. Even the next rank of 2nd tier schools like AMA won't hire you without a degree. There has been a big push to get foreigners converted from other visas into the work permit. No degree = No work permit.

You could expect a salary of anywhere from $8 to $15USD per hour. And schools/centers only pay one time per month, on the 5th, 10th or even the 15th of the following month. Many "teachers" in your same situation have been short-changed on payday (crappy exchange rates for salary quoted in USD, penalties for failures of your classes, student complaints that were never made etc) or not paid at all. Most of the teachers in VN who are less than fully qualified have some horror stories to tell of being ripped off or scammed by an unscrupulous Vietnamese school owner.

If your grammar skills are very weak, then what level of students do you plan to teach? Vietnamese love to ask grammar questions and expect (and deserve) competent answers.

And if you do have any long-term plans in Vietnam then how will you get better jobs without the degree? Short answer: You won't.

I know people who have been here close to 20 years working, no degree or whatever. They often have nothing saved up, no retirement funds, no pension from home, no home owned in VN - basically nothing after close to 20 years of teaching EFL. I know one teacher who has been in VN since 2001 without leaving once. He has nothing saved, nada. And he lacks marketable skills in the USA anymore so he has no job he could do back "home" except low wage service jobs or continue being a teacher in VN as long as the ride will last.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: