Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UAEU UFP ESP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
franki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: UAEU UFP ESP Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

Does anyone know whether you can apply directly to the UFP ESP at United Arab Emerates University in Al-Ein directly? Or, is it the case that you have to first apply to the UFP English Program, prove yourself and then apply to the ESP programme?

I am quite keen to go to the UAEU, and as I have extensive experience in teaching freshman composition, the UFP ESP program looks a good bet. I'd be really grateful if anyone out there has any experience of working at this university, and can give me some insightful information.

On the other hand, does anyone have any other suggestions for university work in the Emerates, teaching academic English/freshman composition?

Many thanks.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apply to actual posted positions. Be aware competition is tight; you'll likely need to meet their preferred qualifications as well .

BTW, it's "Emirates."
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that you have at least an MA + a few years teaching Freshman Comp, pay attention to openings at The American University in Sharjah. It is probably the most stable choice in a very unstable EFL environment in the UAE for the foreseeable future. That said, their preference is for PhDs in the writing program.

For the UAEU, watch their website, but I suspect that openings in the upper level/specialized courses will go to known teachers in the lower level programs whose jobs are being axed.

All TEFL programs in the Emirates are shrinking at the same time as pay and benefits are tanking. On top of this the government is coming up with demands that extra deposits be paid to the power company - no notices, but power will be turned off until you figure out the game that they are playing. (when temps are in the 40sC) The government has slapped another rent tax for current renters in many areas.

VS
franki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Nomad Soul and Veiledsentiments, and excuse my typo.

I had heard on the grape vine that the UAE were not going to be cutting staff numbers back so drastically after all, but perhaps these rumours were wrong.

I'll keep an eye on their job postings, and have a look at the American Uni of Sharjah.

Many thanks once again.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I'm in Abu Dhabi-it's been brutal.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

franki wrote:
I had heard on the grape vine that the UAE were not going to be cutting staff numbers back so drastically after all, but perhaps these rumours were wrong.

This is the land of rumors. LOL

Implementation of the end of the Foundations Programs in the country will most likely not go as smoothly as the government would like. But for those of us who are looking for at least a semi-secure position for a contract or two, it is better to assume the worst.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Assuming that you have at least an MA + a few years teaching Freshman Comp, pay attention to openings at The American University in Sharjah. It is probably the most stable choice in a very unstable EFL environment in the UAE for the foreseeable future. That said, their preference is for PhDs in the writing program.

NYU Abu Dhabi also hires writing instructors from time to time.

In addition to universities' individual websites, check out higheredjobs.com for writing faculty opportunities.
franki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks once again. You are right, the Middle East is full of rumours.
I'll certainly look at NYU Abu Dhabi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: