Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Online Teaching Work - Who Pays the Best ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nwtefl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Online Teaching Work - Who Pays the Best ? Reply with quote

Hi

Is is possible to make a "decent" income from online teaching ? I see various positions advertised but a lot of them either pay really badly and / or involve teaching young learners.

I would never expect online to pay as much as classroom based, but are there any decent companies around - if so, with who ?

Thanks
nwtefl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody then?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 4-5 discussion threads about online teaching; someone may have already answered your question in one of them. Scroll down through the first few pages of this forum, looking for 'online' in each subject line. They're easy to spot.

Last edited by nomad soul on Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will summarise for you -
Lousy conditions
Minimal Pay
nwtefl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lousy conditions - working in your home ?? No way.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click on this link or copy and paste it into your browser to access the survey: https://uiowa.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_7PvS1HhC6TnfDyl

Elizabeth Plummer (PhD candidate) is surveying experience of online teachers.
Please complete the survey via the link above.
It could be the way our world is moving.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nwtefl wrote:

Well yeah. If your physical home and furnishings are lousy... Razz

I think scot47 was referring to the employment terms and/or restrictions related to teaching online. For example, client cancellations, your expected availability/hours, technical requirements, etc...
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
nwtefl wrote:

Well yeah. If your physical home and furnishings are lousy... Razz

I think scot47 was referring to the employment terms and/or restrictions related to teaching online. For example, client cancellations, your expected availability/hours, technical requirements, etc...

It depends on the platform you work for. Some places have an unending stream of classes, so there are never cancellations. Technical requirements are pretty basic for the vast majority of places. The trend is towards 24/7 classes, so you can always find a time to work wherever you live. The work is generally easy, with lessons prepared for you, so once you are comfortable with the platform, you just show up and work. The real issue for most people is pay. If you live in the US/Canada/UK etc., pay is fairly low, but if you live outside of the US in a country with a low cost of living the pay can be very nice when compared to what you could earn locally. Plus, if you live ina city, no commute!
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aust and NZ are east of mainland Asia. A kid in China who wants a lesson at 6pm is in touch with an Australian for whom it is already 8pm or Kiwi for whom it is 10pm. Add an hour diff for Summertime daylight saving.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
If you live in the US/Canada/UK etc., pay is fairly low, but if you live outside of the US in a country with a low cost of living the pay can be very nice when compared to what you could earn locally.

The OP is in the UK; teaching online will just be pocket money. It's unclear if he expects to live off earnings from this type of teaching situation.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

The OP is in the UK; teaching online will just be pocket money. It's unclear if he expects to live off earnings from this type of teaching situation.

What makes you so sure of that? While I don't know what the cost of living and wages are in the UK, the OP's credentials and capacities*, as I've said, there does seem to be a range of hourly rates from as low as $5 to $20 hour. While Santi's alluded to the fact that the near minimum wage ( $11 in Canada) offered by the example I raised, Talk-to-Canada, is a disgrace, it's not altogether clear she couldn't bargain for more of the $24 once they see she can do more than merely converse in her native English.
----

* I hesitate to use the word 'experience' given the number of CELTA and other credentialized teachers with years of experience who, for whatever reason, still equate oral language teaching with excessive old school TTT.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A regular poster here has reported earning around USD 2,400 / month from online work at an average of between USD 25 - 30 / hour. I assume that you would need to establish yourself first at a decent online company and then work up to that rate over time.

Dependent on where you live and a few other factors, USD 2,400 / month could be enough for a comfortable lifestyle.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmbf wrote:
A regular poster here has reported earning ... an average of between USD 25 - 30 / hour. I assume that you would need to establish yourself first at a decent online company and then work up to that rate over time.

Perhaps those posts from the guy living in rural Mexico and working for $5 or $7 an hour has misled everyone, particularly the TEFLers here who've only ever known classroom teaching. Online ELT has exploded over the past year with well over 200 providers. Here's an example salary that's not unlike F2F:
Quote:
Meisi Consulting (China)- $22hr or $32hr. Wechat based chat teaching, no webcam needed, low hours max out at 8 a week perhaps. Taught awhile though platform is prehistoric with no functionality for classroom management. They paid so here I am, a positive review
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LongShiKong wrote:
Jmbf wrote:
A regular poster here has reported earning ... an average of between USD 25 - 30 / hour. I assume that you would need to establish yourself first at a decent online company and then work up to that rate over time.

Perhaps those posts from the guy living in rural Mexico and working for $5 or $7 an hour has misled everyone, particularly the TEFLers here who've only ever known classroom teaching. Online ELT has exploded over the past year with well over 200 providers. Here's an example salary that's not unlike F2F:
Quote:
Meisi Consulting (China)- $22hr or $32hr. Wechat based chat teaching, no webcam needed, low hours max out at 8 a week perhaps. Taught awhile though platform is prehistoric with no functionality for classroom management. They paid so here I am, a positive review

Since I am the only one that I know of living in rural Mexico, I would just like to clarify that I am not guy, and I also do not earn $5 to $7 an hour. Not that it is anyone's business, but it is more than twice that, a wage that would be considered OK even in the US.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:

Since I am the only one that I know of living in rural Mexico, I would just like to clarify that I am not guy, and I also do not earn $5 to $7 an hour. Not that it is anyone's business, but it is more than twice that, a wage that would be considered OK even in the US.

Let me remind you of the guy?/girl? I was referring to in 2013:
inotu-unotme wrote:
The truth is that sometimes even teaching for $5.00 per hour helps made ends meet.

In some places in the world its difficult to pay for rent, electric, food, transportation and whatever else is needed every month.
The truth is some of us 'have' to teach on line.

inotu-unotme wrote:
LongShiKong wrote:
BadBeagleBad wrote:

Well, that is your opinion, not sure what it is based on.

It's based on consensus and I've come across two teachers whose face-to-face students have switched to online with them, or so they claim. The OP's use of the term 'great' now confuses me because virtually all of us would consider a company paying an experienced or qualified native English speaking teacher $5/hr to be a 'great scam' regardless of what their local cost of living is.

Many locals work for $5.00 dollars per day where I live in Mexico.
And I have worked for $5.00 per hour before in the past.
So, great scam - maybe.
But, its real life.
If I need to work for $5 dollars per hour and it helps me buy a little bit more food - I'm going to do it.
It does not have that much to do with what I think or know is a scam.
It has more to do with the fact that I need to pay bills and get by.

It's not clear whether s/he's referring to (online) teaching or when and what qualifications or experience s/he may have. If referring to TEFL in 1967, $5 might have been a great salary, rather than scam, but the comment would appear misleading, would it not?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: