Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Police Background Check from Overseas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CALVINW33

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Police Background Check from Overseas Reply with quote

I would like to work in Vietnam. I'm from California, but haven't lived there in 6 years. I've spent the last 3 years in Japan.

Do I need the background check from California? Or Japan? I can get a Japanese police check easily enough, but i don't want to have to go back to California. Anyone have experience getting a California background check from overseas?

Thanks in advance!
TRH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be OK for an online document from CA http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=112871&highlight= but double check as this post is getting old.
TRH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake. CA requires fingerprints. The usual method is by going to your local sheriff's office and submitting electronic prints. For someone living in Vietnam, there may be a way around it by submitting prints on a card.

https://oag.ca.gov/fingerprints/record-review
CALVINW33

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response.

What if Im outside the U.S? Can I just do the fingerprinting myself and send it in?
DauntlessinDanang

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do it with the following form found on your local Sheriff's Department website:
https://www.sdsheriff.net/records_criminalhistory.html
Look for the Service Request Form.
Of course, do it in the county where you're from. You can request it by mail or have someone in your family, like your parents, go there and order it in person.
You don't need fingerprints, at least in Danang.
For one work permit issued from an international school here, I used an online Criminal Background Check service. I paid $14 and got a printout that was official looking enough to pass through the system. I don't remember the name of the service but I think I picked one from here:
http://www.toptenreviews.com/services/protection/best-background-check-services/
Good luck!

Last edited by DauntlessinDanang on Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
TRH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About half way down the page in the first link from Dauntless is mention of a "Good Conduct" letter. (Their quotes not mine.) There is no link to apply for one but there is a local phone number. It might be worth a call to check it out.
CALVINW33

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I think I'll try one of the online background checks that dauntless suggested. It's the easiest option. It might not work, but its worth a try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: