Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MTC...Come on, really?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: MTC...Come on, really? Reply with quote

Any time you have a company that is actively looking to hire non-native speakers of English so that they can pay less money, it is a clear indication of their lack of professionalism. No offense, but if you were trying to learn Spanish, would you want to learn it from a Gringo with a limited vocabulary and a terrible accent?
If the MTC were really a top-notch institution, they would hire only native speakers of English with the proper qualifications.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what's going on with MTC, but, I've worked with a Ukrainian, two German and two Polish EFL teachers and they were all excellent at their jobs.
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: the list Reply with quote

No offense to your Ukrainian and Polish colleagues...I am sure they are highly qualified to teach beginner level English. It's not like it's rocket science. It is just language, after all.
But, generally speaking native speakers cost more to hire... the order of desirability for English language programs could be something like this...

1. British
2. Canadian and American
3. Australian
4. Kiwi
5. South African
6. Other Europeans who speak English
6. Indian
7. Pilipino
8. Other nationalities like Arabs

Right or wrong. Politically correct, or not. Fair, or unfair. This is the order that is followed, more or less. Of course, nationality without credentials or experience does not get you a pass.

3, 4, and 5 are probably interchangeable. 1 and 2 can drop down below if they have a terrible accent. An American from the south with a drawl, or from the east coast with a Long Island accent, for example, should probably not even make the list.

Last edited by BajaLaJaula on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: the list Reply with quote

BajaLaJaula wrote:
No offense to your Ukrainian and Polish colleagues...I am sure they are highly qualified to teach beginner level English. .

I would have trusted them to teach any level. They were fluent. I also think that non-native fluent English speakers often have a deeper understanding of aspects like phonemes and grammar. Native speakers instinctively know when they hear or see something wrong, but, fluent non-native speakers can also do that and have spent years actually studying it. That's not to say that a native speaker can't also study it as well, of course. Anyway, that's just my two cents.
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadians eh?
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Eh Reply with quote

Eh. You're right, eh. Lumped them in with the Americans, just like everyone else does.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: the list Reply with quote

BajaLaJaula wrote:
No offense to your Ukrainian and Polish colleagues...I am sure they are highly qualified to teach beginner level English. It's not like it's rocket science. It is just language, after all.
But, generally speaking native speakers cost more to hire... the order of desirability for English language programs could be something like this...

1. British
2. Canadian and American
3. Australian
4. Kiwi
5. South African
6. Other Europeans who speak English
6. Indian
7. Pilipino
8. Other nationalities like Arabs

Right or wrong. Politically correct, or not. Fair, or unfair. This is the order that is followed, more or less. Of course, nationality without credentials or experience does not get you a pass.

3, 4, and 5 are probably interchangeable. 1 and 2 can drop down below if they have a terrible accent. An American from the south with a drawl, or from the east coast with a Long Island accent, for example, should probably not even make the list.

What's wrong with the Irish?
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Lucky I guess Reply with quote

Lump em in with the Brits....but, truth be told, I suspect they be speaking another language half the time.
ayatollah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: accents Reply with quote

Quote:
What's wrong with the Irish
No offence, but the problem is the accent.
Strong accents, Irish or Scottish:
1) Students may complain they can't understand you. That happens.
2) Saudi's NNS colleagues can't understand the student.

Pathetic I know. They'll hire Americans with a "twang" + Brits with strong regional accents.
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayatollah

Everyone has an accent and I see the Irish and Scots singled out time and time again when I've heard difficult accents from every part of the globe.

However, it did remind me of a rather arrogant American in Kuwait who asked a classroom of students to decide who was clearest between himself and his Scots and Irish colleagues. Order of preference - Scots, Irish and a long way behind, American.

Exit one embarrassed American.
madrileno

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: MTC...Come on, really? Reply with quote

BajaLaJaula wrote:
Any time you have a company that is actively looking to hire non-native speakers of English so that they can pay less money, it is a clear indication of their lack of professionalism. No offense, but if you were trying to learn Spanish, would you want to learn it from a Gringo with a limited vocabulary and a terrible accent?
If the MTC were really a top-notch institution, they would hire only native speakers of English with the proper qualifications.

This is just a reflection of the declining hiring rates or outright freezes going on across the country. The continuing oil crisis is starting to affect the government, and the various ministries are starting to encounter cuts and refusals for raises and/or increases in benefits.

Subcontinentals and other non-native speakers will typically settle for lower salaries than native English speakers. This is reflected in non-natives increasingly being hired more than native speakers.
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a reflection of the times....good for NNS but means lower salary for NS of English. As a consumer I would choose a NS as a language teacher.
Arenta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my last three jobs native speakers were in a very small minority. Most of the teachers were from the sub-continent, a lot were teaching English and had very strong accents. It was difficult to understand what they were saying some of the time and it was quite strange to hear the students speaking with these accents instead of their own native ones. There was also a sizable minority of E. Europeans teaching English whose English was quite good but basic errors were made at times and of course had very noticeable accents themselves.

There was a feeling among the native teachers of being marginalized by the non-native teachers which was actually justified, e.g. the refusal to share resources despite the school rule on this being very clear, finishing classes on time, interrupting classes by coming in to get books etc, and a general unwillingness to socialize with the native teachers or to cooperate on a professional level.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: