Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

And so it Begins.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marinx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: And so it Begins. Reply with quote

I just thought I'd start a thread from the beginning of my journey. I'll shamelessly bump it up with new info as I go along.

I started my TESOL course mid September. At first I was pretty overwhelmed by the vocabulary, all these terms I hadn't heard or used in decades! I'm over it now though.

There's a lot to commit to memory in order to explain to a student, but at least it all makes sense and practice practice practice will make it all stick. I have two months to finish the grammar section, so I'll take my time and do my best.

I find the course material and videos links they have pretty boring, so I've been studying using the resources from Khan Academy more than anywhere else. Great resource.

I have a better understanding of why online courses are somewhat frowned upon, since anyone could blow through these courses and get their certificate and not really know anything. It does make me wonder how those people get hired after giving what I imagine would be a terrible interview.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: And so it Begins. Reply with quote

Marinx wrote:
It does make me wonder how those people get hired after giving what I imagine would be a terrible interview.

Outside of North America or the UK you will find that the requirements to land a job as an EFL teacher are usually simply the matter of a white face, and meet the requirements for a visa (correct passport, usually a degree and a police clearance).

Beyond being able to get a visa the job requirements are NOT usually any legitimate criteria that you would expect at home (like a basic knowledge of methodology, knowledge of subject matter or competence as a teacher).

Marinx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: And so it Begins. Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
Outside of North America or the UK you will find that the requirements to land a job as an EFL teacher are usually simply the matter of a white face, and meet the requirements for a visa (correct passport, usually a degree and a police clearance).

Beyond being able to get a visa the job requirements are NOT usually any legitimate criteria that you would expect at home (like a basic knowledge of methodology, knowledge of subject matter or competence as a teacher)

In regards to the documentation, I will be able to get all that without any issues.

From what you said about the job requirements, I'm hoping "better" schools have higher standards therefore will pay more. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Beyond being able to get a visa the job requirements are NOT usually any legitimate criteria that you would expect at home (like a basic knowledge of methodology, knowledge of subject matter or competence as a teacher).

A white face and ability to get a visa are not the sum total of requirements on the European continent, by the way. There is less focus here on skin color (or age), and a CELTA or equivalent on-site cert is usually considered the entry-level basic requirement. Along with a passport that allows one to work in the region, obviously.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: And so it Begins. Reply with quote

Marinx wrote:
In regards to the documentation, I will be able to get all that without any issues.

From what you said about the job requirements, I'm hoping "better" schools have higher standards therefore will pay more. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

In EFL (as compared to fully accredited international schools (IB, CIE, CfBT, etc) ... better schools may have better standards (but not in hiring practices - visa requirements are the job requirements) and are unlikely to offer better pay unless you are a home country certified school teacher with a B.Ed / Post grad teaching diploma.

spiral78 wrote:
A white face and ability to get a visa are not the sum total of requirements on the European continent, by the way. There is less focus here on skin color (or age), and a CELTA or equivalent on-site cert is usually considered the entry-level basic requirement. Along with a passport that allows one to work in the region, obviously.

The European continent is different for standards but for most north Americans it is also a largely, with a few exceptions, a closed market to your average EFL teacher due to visa issues.

The OP, as a Canadian, will largely be limited to either being an undocumented teacher in Central/South America or dealing with Asia or Eastern Europe.

spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The European continent is different for standards but for most north Americans it is also a largely, with a few exceptions, a closed market to your average EFL teacher due to visa issues.

The OP, as a Canadian, will largely be limited to either being an undocumented teacher in Central/South America or dealing with Asia or Eastern Europe.

I'm not arguing this, only pointing out that the sweeping statement that 'outside of North America or the UK' is inaccurate. Others besides the OP are likely to read the thread, and may be misled. (OP is clearly not eligible to teach in the UK or US either, actually).
scot47

Location: Respice post te! Hominem te esse memento! Memento mori!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the idea that the world is your oyster as an EFL teacher is certainly no longer true. Was it ever ? Large swathes of the planet are NOT open to itinerant teachers of the Anglo Tongue. The Gulf and China remain the biggest markets but conditions are getting worse.
Marinx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it still doesn't make sense to me how there can be a better "this" or better "that", and yet have no impact. I suspect you all mean this is only true for China where demand outsrips supply and as long as you have the paperwork you will have a job regardless of your knowledge.

I'll have a TESL Canada Certificate before I leave Canada. I would obviously need more training to get anything higher than that, so one step at a time.

I will start out in China. I'll start at the bottom, as I have no prior teaching experience. Once I have a couple years experience in China I can expand my horizons.

My ultimate goal is to get some real life experience and begin teaching online so a couple years from now I can take my skills and do my job from the location of my choice. Others may want to get their certification and jump online to teach and cut out the whole going abroad part, but that's not what I want.

This is just me taking my life in a new direction, I have no delusions of grandeur. Its all new and exciting for me no matter how old and depressing it may be for others.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marinx, have you been able to find opportunities for teaching practice where you are now? Among the other obvious benefits, experience in the classroom can help you bring focus to your online TEFL program, and make you aware of what you need to work on.

Marinx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGoodStory wrote:
Marinx, have you been able to find opportunities for teaching practice where you are now? Among the other obvious benefits, experience in the classroom can help you bring focus to your online TEFL program, and make you aware of what you need to work on.

Yes, I'll be doing the practicum at my alma mater. There are also many others places I could go to volunteer as we have a large immigrant community. I could do it through OnTesol in country but I prefer getting the experience at home and obtaining the TESL Canada certificate before I start applying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: