Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just Curious, Where Do ESL Mercenaries Go For the Money?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad, maybe change $50 to $40, which is what? 260 rmb. That is definitely possible if money is your only desire.

And even with a time scale of 12 months the OP could easily trawl sites specific to Shanghai or Beijing and pick up blocks of part time work at 270 or even 250. I don't see it being hard. Hustle and it'll be done in 2 weeks to fill your spare time.
bj80

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.

I'm actually in Beijing now and doing about 45 classes a week at 240 RMB (after tax). I work seven days a week but I am working hard for a nest egg.

I agree it's hard to find lots of hours, in a consolidated situation, get tax breaks (as many companies here somehow work out taxes with an official).

I ask because Saudi and Gulf States were traditionally the places to make money. At least the Saudi place I worked for paid $50 USD an hour, guaranteed tax free. If I worked the same amount of hours in Saudi, I'd have more.

I'm just asking what are the lucrative places. It sounds like the Oil Countries are not so anymore.
CliveRAG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It sounds like the Oil Countries are not so anymore."

I have an acquaintance teaching in Libya for an oil company (offshore). He seems to be doing well on just under US$5000 a month (including rotation).

Not for me personally but it takes all kinds I suppose.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: My 10 cents Reply with quote

OK, here we go.

I've worked in the oil and gas industry for 18 years. I've done Libya, UAE, Saudi, Kuwait and Qatar. I've worked on 2 rotation gigs (10 years) and the rest have been 'in-country' positions. I've been direct-hire twice and a contractor 4 times. Some of these jobs pay/paid $100,000 and some $60,000 a year. These jobs are now as rare as rocking horse poo. Saudi Aramco is the only one in town. As far as I know the rotations in Kazakstan, Equatorial Guniea, Iraq, Yemen, Chad and Angola are now defunct. Libya is a war zone and not really worth it (I was evacuated twice).

Due to the low price of oil, these gigs have gone or are in the process of winding up (mine included).

Dyncorps have the occasional ESL gig in some war zone and like hiring ex-military. That's about it.

I've done all this without an MA, a qualification which I think is pretty irrelevant.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bj80 wrote:
I agree.

I'm actually in Beijing now and doing about 45 classes a week at 240 RMB (after tax). I work seven days a week but I am working hard for a nest egg.

45 classes a week at RMB 240 per class works out to approximately USD 6,500 / month. You are going to struggle to top that amount anywhere else in the world given your current qualifications and experience. I mean, it might be possible in a few places, but it would take at least a few years to work yourself up into a position to do so.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First get a job in China - then built up a portfolio of all those extras. At the same time remain in good health in what is by all accounts a very polluted and stressful environment.

What is the time frame in which to build up to 45 hours a week ? Unrealistic. Totally.
ISSAKAB

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: DELTA Reply with quote

bj80 wrote:
Thanks for the honest opinion.

To me, I just don't want to waste money on credentials that may not be worth it. I just had such a bad time in undergrad that I felt it didn't do much.

I guess a DELTA could be worth it, as long as there were jobs that paid $5K USD or more.

I'd be happy to follow through if there was some payoff. Is there?

An acquaintance of mine started, but never finished studying for the DELTA. He said it wouldn't have led to him earning more. However, his thought were that might not be the case if you were already working at a permanent job with an outfit such as the British Council. He, like me, works freelance multiple short term contracts.
bograt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: DELTA Reply with quote

ISSAKAB wrote:
bj80 wrote:
Thanks for the honest opinion.

To me, I just don't want to waste money on credentials that may not be worth it. I just had such a bad time in undergrad that I felt it didn't do much.

I guess a DELTA could be worth it, as long as there were jobs that paid $5K USD or more.

I'd be happy to follow through if there was some payoff. Is there?

An acquaintance of mine started, but never finished studying for the DELTA. He said it wouldn't have led to him earning more. However, his thought were that might not be the case if you were already working at a permanent job with an outfit such as the British Council. He, like me, works freelance multiple short term contracts.

I'm freelance too but often work hourly paid at the BC and sometimes on short term projects, all paid at the higher rate for having the DELTA. As far as full time jobs at the Bc are concerned you can make $5k a month in certain countries, e.g. Singapore HK, the Gulf maybe as a teacher and more countries if you get to band 7 and above. That's the level where they pay for your kids' education but they're more management jobs that require minimal, sometimes no teaching, and a lot of meetings, presentations and pressure to increase profits.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
bj80 wrote:
Any opinions, besides heading to the Saudi forum?

Get certified as a teacher. High school certified STEM teachers are in huge demand globally. The salaries are 5x what you would earn in EFL plus there are the generous benefits packages that usually come with them.

Avoid countries like the USA where teachers are treated like sh1t and the salaries are lower than what an EFL teacher makes in Asia.

I'd be inclined to add Australia to that list as well. I'm just completing my final teaching practicum at a pretty rough Australian public high school. What a complete zoo! If I'd been placed in a private school, or a decent high-performing public school, then things might be very different, but, I can only go by what I've seen. I was interested at one point in possibly going to the UK to teach for a while, but, from what I can gather, the UK schools, generally speaking, are even worse. To hell with that! Why teachers put up with working these hours, the pay and the level of disrespect given to them from students and parents is beyond me Confused. You can have a much better lifestyle in Asia and actually teach people who are polite, are there to work and want to learn. I've been at my current placement only a week and I'm already counting down the days until it ends Rolling Eyes.
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st Sgt Welsh

Must make you very nostalgic for Salalah (even though the students were desultory in outlook). No regrets?
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siobhan 22 wrote:
1st Sgt Welsh

Must make you very nostalgic for Salalah (even though the students were desultory in outlook). No regrets?

Hi Siobhan 22,

That reminds me of one of my friends in Salalah who kept telling me that "you'll miss it when you leave". At the moment, I'm certainly missing the pay cheque, and, yeah, the work was light and, all in all, it was a pretty easy life. However, chances are, I could go back if I wanted to. I left on good terms, have got the experience and have far better academic qualifications now than what I did when I first got the job. Besides, if I didn't try to get the teaching qualification, then I knew that I'd always regret it.

Besides, there was no future in Salalah, not really. The plumb roles were filled with Omanis and conditions there have actually declined. They even had a pay deduction just after I left, but, I've heard it's been bumped up now to what it was before. Even so, due to inflation, if you're not getting a pay rise then you're effectively getting a pay cut. Personally, it would have been a perfect job to have at the end of my career. I could save a bit of dosh, not have to put up with much in the way of stress and kind of ease into retirement.

In regards to the teaching practicum where I am, I'm over half through it and, I'm happy to say, that my view on the school has become more balanced over time. Once you start getting into it, begin to know the kids and staff, it's really not that bad. It just looked bad as an observer, especially to me, as I was used to Asian students.
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, my question is a bit of a non sequitur, but: What is a "community?" You wrote that you "recently started a community." Is that a colloquialism?
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgt Welsh says what got me into EFL more than 40 years ago ! teaching in the state system in Uk (or Oz) is no fun.

That is why I headed to Saudi where teachers got a better deal. Not sure abour today.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Sgt Welsh says what got me into EFL more than 40 years ago ! teaching in the state system in Uk (or Oz) is no fun.

Yep, and, if I had to wager, I'd bet it's probably a damn sight worse now than what it was 40 years ago. I'll say one thing though. Many of the teachers I've dealt with at the school have been wonderful. They really are doing their best with what they've been given. It's the system. Some of these kids have no discipline, the teachers have their hands tied behind their backs when it comes to enforcing rules and, in many cases, they can't even rely on parental support.
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reading any article in the Guardian about teaching in the UK will put you well and truly off the idea! It isn't just the badly-behaved kids, the reluctant parenting, or the regulations about controlling the class. It's also the demands from inspectors, constantly changing curricula, oppressive paperwork, long work hours, prejudice from the public ("Your holidays are too long and you only work a few hours a day" and "I went to school so I know what makes a good teacher and you're not it"), and the general lack of respect and support from all sides. I can only imagine the similar circumstances but with an Australian, Bogan element added must be quite a challenge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: