Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For the Newbies

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: For the Newbies Reply with quote

Some clues that should help you to decide whether or not Saudi is a good option...This can serve as a checklist to help you with potential job offers.

+1 Passing, -1 Failing

__Your employer insists on keeping your passport (an indication that they are afraid you will tire of the working and/or living conditions and try to run away).

__Your employer deposits your salary in a Saudi bank account (reason - now the law that all employers must pay by deposit in Saudi bank).

__Your employer has been late with pay in the past (reason - money is more important in his pocket and not as important in yours).

__Your contract does not include housing (an indication that employer is too cheap to pay for your accommodation).

__Your contract does not include dependent housing or school allowance (an indication that your employer is too cheap to pay for this and can get singles to come and work for them).

__Colleagues at place of work do not last more than 1 to 2 years (an indication that the job sucks).

__Vacation time is limited to the Eid Holidays, plus an extra 1 to 2 weeks a year (an indication that your employer no longer needs to take into consideration your work/life balance and feels that you expendable if you feel more holiday is needed).

__Sick leave is not offered. You can burn up a holiday or show up sick to work (reason - employer does not care whether you are healthy or not).

__Pay keeps getting lower each new contract (reason - employer's most important consideration is saving money and does not care or understand that you get what you pay for in most cases).

__Upkeep of facilities and budget for materials keep getting worse (reason - your success in the classroom is not a concern. Other workers in Saudi Arabia are able to cope with less than ideal conditions, why not you?)

__Asking any of the above during the job interview either does not get a response or disqualifies you entirely (an indication that only the truly desperate need apply).

Go through this list and add or subtract for each of these conditions as they apply to your new job. In the past most, if not all, of these benefits were provided by employers. Those jobs with all the benefits are gone now.
What is left? Please make sure to find out before you get to Saudi and are stuck (remember, you must get an exit visa from your employer before you can leave).

Last edited by BajaLaJaula on Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Been saying it for a few years now. It's over.
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Those of us that were there during the last of the golden years have witnessed the gradual reduction in benefits and pay.

I just want to warn those that might be lured by stories of old. The reality on the ground is that Saudi has changed.

No longer worth it in my opinion. Those teachers that are stuck there (too old now to retrain) must deal with it and hope to retire before KSA and the stress of living there ruin their health. For the younger teachers I would advise against it. You are better off getting your MA and trying to get into a better school, college, or university.

48,000 annual is equivalent to 60,000 annual in Emrika (minus taxes and health insurance.)

60,000 a year is attainable in today's economy. It might take a few years to get there but better than going and working in a country where you will no longer be able to save money and will be putting yourself at risk of being unemployable once you return to civilization.
siologen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: re: stress.... Reply with quote

Quote:
Those teachers that are stuck there (too old now to retrain) must deal with it and hope to retire before KSA and the stress of living there ruin their health.

The above is true. Seen that with a few blokes in Oman who used to teach in Saudi. One was a alcoholic and chain smoker, despite only being in his early 40s. Another in his mid 40s was a dipsomaniac, who was off to south east asia every chance he could get. One older ex saudi teacher did retire, I think, but it had made him tight fisted for life. Another had to go back and work in saudi a few more years before retirement. I would imagine that post 40 each year in Saudi takes it's toll on you, and that there is an unseemly scramble to get to the airport and go home in the holidays, or travel in Asia, if no permanent base back in the west.
Makkah

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: re: stress.... Reply with quote

siologen wrote:
Quote:
Those teachers that are stuck there (too old now to retrain) must deal with it and hope to retire before KSA and the stress of living there ruin their health.

The above is true. Seen that with a few blokes in Oman who used to teach in Saudi. One was a alcoholic and chain smoker, despite only being in his early 40s. Another in his mid 40s was a dipsomaniac, who was off to south east asia every chance he could get. One older ex saudi teacher did retire, I think, but it had made him tight fisted for life. Another had to go back and work in saudi a few more years before retirement. I would imagine that post 40 each year in Saudi takes it's toll on you, and that there is an unseemly scramble to get to the airport and go home in the holidays, or travel in Asia, if no permanent base back in the west.

At least, next time you make mental notes about people you work with ....try looking for some good too.
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: teachers Reply with quote

Teachers I worked with were good fellows. Most were great teachers with excellent credentials. They had a very tough job and endured one of the worst managers ever. We got through it and most of us have moved on to bigger and better jobs. There were always some misfits. But, for the most part, the ones that were dismissed from the job did not really deserve it. One day I will write about the 3 years of hell we put up with the Nazi. Truly the worst manager I have ever had, by a long shot. It will take a few more years of therapy, though, before I can finally let go. Actually, I think he deserves an entire weblog where all affected can share their pain.
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree those are some good questions, although if you fire all of them at an interviewer you'll likely be labelled a troublemaker.

And what about maximum hours? Class sizes? Number of observations? Ability of students? Materials available?

I think the following points should also be observed;

If your employer pays into your home account you may be liable for tax there.
Some people prefer the option to take a sum and find their own housing, even if the employer provides it.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the heat of the moment wrote:

If your employer pays into your home account you may be liable for tax there.

Not true in the US if you meet the usual rules of overseas residency. It is always best if an employer deposits your money back home. The tax status of the teacher doesn't change. (in the US)

VS
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Saudi bank will allow you to transfer your SARs to your USA bank but will charge a wire transfer fee. Extra points if you can get your employer to reimburse you for the extra expense.

I was paying around 50 bucks a month to transfer SARs to my USA bank. And no, my employer did not reimburse me (Saudi company, go figure.)

KSA law requires that all employers pay in SAR to local bank account. I doubt that anyone is still being paid in USD, BP, or Euros.

Just be sure to drain your Saudi account before you leave, otherwise, they keep the money.
chrisp728

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About money transfers, there are companies which will transfer your SAR out of the country at a better rate than if you do it through the banks, with no apparent charge (can't figure out how they make money really, but never mind). Goolag is your friend.

The company I use actually has a SAR account, but based overseas. The problem I had (which they warned me about) was trying to explain/convince the teller at my Saudi bank that, even though the account was overseas, I didn't want them to convert the currency, which would have defeated the purpose. After a vigorous 10 minute discussion with the teller and then his supervisor, we finally got it sorted.

Now it's all on internet banking and when I want to transfer I just email the company, they give me the rate, and I ping it over.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locked due to repeat attempts to derail thread. If and when thread is unlocked, future inappropriate postings will result in permanent bans along with ISPs.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: