Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How does Vietnam rank among EFL destinations in 2017?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AMF08D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: How does Vietnam rank among EFL destinations in 2017? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am currently trying to decide on where to start my ESL teaching career and have seen lots of promising information about the opportunities in Vietnam. Does anyone have any sage advice for newbie teachers wanting to come to Vietnam in 2017. Any and all advice is very much appreciated.

How does Vietnam compare to other SE Asian countries like Thailand? (as far as living/teaching experiences are concerned) I would love to hear what the community has to say on the subject. Thanks for contributing to the world of ESL and helping out those looking to start their journey.

All the best-
Mattingly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: How does Vietnam rank among EFL destinations in 2017? Reply with quote

AMF08D wrote:
Hello all,

I am currently trying to decide on where to start my ESL teaching career

I'll leave it to others to comment on VN for teaching, but if you're serious about making ESL/EFL a career get a BA or MA in EFL.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advantages of living in VN, especially with regard to the rest of SE Asia:

1) stable government (one-party system)

2) fairly robust economy (bit of development and prosperity)

3) very low cost of living (if you make it so)

4) lot of demand for TEFL teachers (most schools aren't great though)

5) lax regulation

In short, people choose VN because it's easy and flexible, basically there is a lot of slack.

You have to get used to a number of challenges and annoyances first though. It's not paradise and it's not really a place to make a lot of money.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of opportunity but not much quality.
SinaloaParcero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: How does Vietnam rank among EFL destinations in 2017? Reply with quote

AMF08D wrote:
Hello all,

I am currently trying to decide on where to start my ESL teaching career and have seen lots of promising information about the opportunities in Vietnam. Does anyone have any sage advice for newbie teachers wanting to come to Vietnam in 2017. Any and all advice is very much appreciated.

How does Vietnam compare to other SE Asian countries like Thailand? (as far as living/teaching experiences are concerned) I would love to hear what the community has to say on the subject. Thanks for contributing to the world of ESL and helping out those looking to start their journey.

All the best-

I would caution against making "ESL" a career.

If you truly enjoy teaching and education then you should get an actual teaching license from your home state/country.

That way you can teach at proper more prestigious International Schools and back in your home country if and when you decide to return.

Teaching ESL is something most people do for 2-10 years in their 20s as a means of travel and experience.

As for advice on where to go.

If you have money saved up (5,000USD+) not including airfare, then I would recommend Vietnam. Can find work and the COL is very cheap whilst making a Western salary.

If you only have 1-2,000USD, then I would suggest starting out in Korea. Roundtrip airfare is becoming harder to find, but you can still find an employer willing to pay for your flight to Korea. Esp if you are willing to work outside of hot spots.
reblair79

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How does Vietnam rank among EFL destinations in 2017? Reply with quote

I understand it's just an opinion you hold but I think you might underestimate how little teaching in ones home country appeals. The whole idea I imagine of a TEFL career is to get away from being anchored in your home country and allowing you to have a sense of freedom to travel and experience the world - and getting your DELTA and becoming a DoS for example could be looked at as a good career. A good career does not always have to be money orientated.

I also think you might underestimate how many people over the age of 30 are getting into this career choice. I'd say it's been around 50/50 of people in their 20s and 30s that I have met who are going into this path.
imisssaitama

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How does Vietnam rank among EFL destinations in 2017? Reply with quote

reblair79 wrote:
I understand it's just an opinion you hold but I think you might underestimate how little teaching in ones home country appeals. The whole idea I imagine of a TEFL career is to get away from being anchored in your home country and allowing you to have a sense of freedom to travel and experience the world - and getting your DELTA and becoming a DoS for example could be looked at as a good career. A good career does not always have to be money orientated.

I also think you might underestimate how many people over the age of 30 are getting into this career choice. I'd say it's been around 50/50 of people in their 20s and 30s that I have met who are going into this path.

Totally agree. I've met plenty of ESL teachers well into their 50s who love the job and don't want to do anything else. I personally love living abroad and it's the main reason I got into it. As for getting a BA or MA in education, great if you have the money and several years to spare in order to get qualified to do a job you might hate in a few years. Many state school teachers in the UK leave the job within 5 years because of the violent behaviour of students among other problems.
bograt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Many state school teachers in the UK leave the job within 5 years because of the violent behaviour of students among other problems.

Yes to be fair to British kids, discipline is one of the problems as you say, but the main ones are workload, pointless paper work and endless testing.
Newcomber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does one go about getting the right certification for int'l schools while living in Hanoi? I've done the DELTA and now I'm thinking of doing the iPGCE to see if that might improve my chances for int'l school positions. I know it has its limitations, but I've heard of people going that rout.
ISSAKAB

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newcomber wrote:
How does one go about getting the right certification for int'l schools while living in Hanoi? I've done the DELTA and now I'm thinking of doing the iPGCE to see if that might improve my chances for int'l school positions. I know it has its limitations, but I've heard of people going that rout.

I've worked in some international schools in West Africa on the basis of an MA (in Film) and a CELTA. To get into the better schools you need a PGCE or equivalent, a years post grad teaching quaification.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newcomber wrote:
How does one go about getting the right certification for int'l schools while living in Hanoi? I've done the DELTA and now I'm thinking of doing the iPGCE to see if that might improve my chances for int'l school positions.

Even if your Delta gets you a position at an international school in VN, you'll be limited if/when you start looking elsewhere in or outside the country for work.

Look at actual job ads to see what schools require. But generally, a PGCE or US state teaching license and k12 experience would make you quite marketable for the better international school jobs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: