Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

link - a truly amazing news website

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: link - a truly amazing news website Reply with quote

Good Day General Forum:

The link below takes you to my favorite news website. This one is special: all of the top stories from over 4,500 news sources are chosen by computer algorithms ... without human intervention; no editor deciding what you should or shouldn't be reading.

I like that.

Also worth mentioning in this day-and-age of spam, pop-ups and annoying ad banners. On this site, there are NONE.

Here's the link: http://news.google.com/

Happy Reading Exclamation
keNt
R

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the time lines (15 minutes ago, 6 hours ago, etc.) Personally, I don't get out of bed for news that arrived more than 8 1/2 minutes ago...

Rob.
zakiah25

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: linked! Reply with quote

Kent, you shouldn't confuse me first thing after a hard day at work with these 2 almost similar postings. I can't think straight until after I've had some relaxing libation and fed Manfred (the "pedigree" racing camel that only "runs" for his meals at the moment) his dinner.
Do you think that I can find some good camel training tips on this site?
Otherwise, my "get rich quick scheme" and dreams of winning the Shiekh Zayed Grand Prize (Dubai Cup and camel racing equivalent of the Kentucky Derby and Grand National)) will go up in smoke.
M...m...mmm....I should do my work plans for tomorrow and for the rest of my life in this business, I think!
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 4:42 am    Post subject: run camel run! Reply with quote

Hello zakiah25:

There is hope for Manfred. Wink Try this page from Dubai, courtesy of the www.google.com/advanced_search link:

http://www.chris-kutschera.com/%20A/Camel%20races.htm

Happy Racing Exclamation
kEnt
zakiah25

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 5:11 am    Post subject: pot of gold Reply with quote

Wow! Interesting website! It says that some camels can win 20 million dirhams in prizemoney! At the moment, I don't think that Manfred is capable of winning 20 Omani baisas!
Actually, camel-racing in the United Arab Emirates can be a sad business - some of the jockeys are Indian boys who have been kidnapped from their villages in India and they are sent to the Emirates to be trained as jockeys.
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Jockey shorts Reply with quote

Dear zakiah25,
Quite a few of those kids come from Pakistan, too. And, what may be even sadder than their being kidnapped, in many cases, they're " sold " into indentured servitude by their parents. I don't blame the poor ( in every sense of the word ) parents so much as I do the heartless exploiters from the UAE who run the trade. Slavery isn't extinct; it's just going by other names these days.
Regards,
John
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 5:56 am    Post subject: EFL or camel jockey ??? Reply with quote

Greetings johnslat and zakiah25:

You know what's even sadddder than that? Those poor kidnapped indian camel jockeys probably earn more than an EFL teacher in Russia. Laughing

OK; no more sad stuff! It's off to the Volga River embankment for me. Today is Victory Day in Russia, and I have a 3-day weekend to relax and party down. Fireworks tonight too, if I haven't crashed by then. Cool

Have a Nice Weekend Exclamation
keNt

PS: It boggles me googles to watch how a news website link manages to 'morph' into a debate on the exploitation of Indian and Pakistani camel jockeys! Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: