Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

re: women to be allowed to drive in saudi arabia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
siologen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: re: indeed... Reply with quote

Quote:

In terms of safety against physical assault, I believe dads and husbands will refuse to let female family members drive solo across the desert. The women would agree.

A good point, and my own pocket of fils on.........really, it is the society that needs to change their mindset, before any laws are implemented in the future. Laws and rules can only take a country/society so far, people have to be open and willing to change. Even in the UAE, where alcohol is legal, people have been arrested for being drunk! This defies logic!!!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drive forward: Female cabbies in Saudi Arabia
By Anuj Chopra, Saudi Gazette | 13 October 2017
Source: http://saudigazette.com.sa/article/519272/SAUDI-ARABIA/Drive-forward-Female-cabbies-in-Saudi-Arabia

HUNCHED over platters of dates and Arabic coffee, Saudi women raring to drive once the royal decree on it becomes effective next June signed up for another revolution — to be the Kingdom’s first female cab drivers. Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman last month decreed that women will be allowed driving permits, a historic reform that could put not just millions of women behind the wheel but potentially many more into the workforce.

Sensing a lucrative opportunity, ride-hailing company Careem says it plans to hire up to 100,000 female chauffeurs to lure new clients in the gender-segregated kingdom. This week, the company invited AFP to its first recruitment session in the coastal city of Al-Khobar, which attracted a diverse crowd — from housewives to working women — who already have foreign driving licenses. “For years I felt helpless. My car would be parked outside and I could not drive,” said Nawal Al-Jabbar, a 50-year-old mother of three, sipping coffee from a thimble-sized cup. A chorus of hoots and claps erupted in the auditorium as the women, who learned about the recruitment by word-of-mouth, watched news footage on a projector screen of last month’s royal decree. “It felt like we had woken up in a new Saudi Arabia,” Jabbar said.

An instructor stood next to the screen, holding up a smartphone to show the inner workings of the app. The firm plans to add a new “Captinah” button to the app next June that would allow customers to choose women chauffeurs. The option will only be available to other women and families, Careem spokesman Murtadha Alalawi said. Around 30 women registered for the event in Al-Khobar. Many arrived unaccompanied by men, something not commonly seen in a country where male “guardians” have arbitrary authority to make crucial decisions on behalf of women.

"This is a rite of passage for women,” said Sarah Algwaiz, director of the women chauffeurs program at Careem, referring to the reform. “For women to drive their own cars signals autonomy, mobility and financial independence.” Society portrays women to be strong when it’s convenient and weak when it’s convenient, said trainee Jabbar. “I say if you can depend on a female doctor to deliver a baby, then you can depend on a woman to drive a car.”

Becoming a chauffeur would mean “extra income”, said Banain Al-Mustafa, a 24-year-old medical lab technician who obtained her license while she was studying in West Virginia in 2015. “I drove for two-and-a-half years,” she said, including once on her own in a nine-hour road trip from New York to West Virginia. “If I can drive there, why not in my own country?”

The reform is in line with the Kingdom’s Vision 2030 program that seeks to elevate women to nearly one-third of the workforce, up from about 22 percent now. Authorities have highlighted the economic benefits of the reform as the Kingdom reels from a protracted oil slump; Saudi families would no longer need foreign chauffeurs, often a major source of financial strain.

Riyadh is moving to bring female driving instructors from abroad, local media reported, and Princess Nourah University said it will inaugurate a women’s only driving school. Careem’s rival, Uber, is reportedly planning a similar initiative to recruit female drivers.

The new Careem recruits in Al-Khobar were seemingly unperturbed by pockets of resistance from men or sexist comments on social media over women driving. “Look at how women’s abayas have evolved — different styles and colors — despite strong resistance,” Jabbar said, referring to the traditional black gown. “After a while, even women drivers will become a new normal.”

(End of article)
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: misplaced optimism Reply with quote

BajaLaJaula wrote:
Veiled and Nomad,
Your optimism is commendable...however, this is the Magic Kingdom where Murphy's Law is on steroids. Eventually they will work out all the kinks but there are still lots of kooks with religious authority in KSA that will make it difficult.
I hope it is a smooth transition...but then again, I know better, after seeing so many of the reforms get axed because the close-minded, backwards thinking Saudis could not handle the change. It is what it is....yes, they will come around to making it work. They have no choice but to progress. They will just take a lot longer because logical, rational, and reasonable are still khawajas in KSA.

It's happening faster than you think, this was Tahlia St. a couple of weeks ago;

https://streamable.com/k1kf2
siologen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: re: street rave? Reply with quote

Thanks for that streamable site, never knew of it until know.

Wonder if there was any booze at what appears to be a street rave?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVTC plans to coordinate driving lessons and basic auto care for female students at its colleges. No info on who the driving instructors will be.

Female students to get driving lessons in colleges
Saudi Gazette | 17 October 2017
Source: http://saudigazette.com.sa/article/519559/SAUDI-ARABIA/Female-students-to-get-driving-lessons-in-colleges

RIYADH — The Technical and Vocational Training Corporation (TVTC) will organize driving lessons for female students in various colleges in the Kingdom, according to female supervisor of girl education at TVTC Amal Al-Sahli. “Allowing women to drive will further promote their role in public life and enhance their participation in the labor market,” she said.

Amal said TVTC is making necessary preparations to start driving lessons and educate girl students about important car parts. “Girl students will be taught emergency car repairs to avoid breakdown on the streets.” She said the trainees will also be taught traffic laws and regulations. They will also be given an orientation course on traffic signs. She said the corporation will provide 3,000 car parking spaces for trainees and instructors.

There are 19 TVTC colleges for women in the Kingdom being managed by a number of international colleges from the United States, Canada, Britain and New Zealand. There are now more than 15,000 female students in these colleges studying various specialties that will qualify them for the labor market.

(End of excerpt)
Gulezar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
TVTC plans to coordinate driving lessons and basic auto care for female students at its colleges. No info on who the driving instructors will be.

Female students to get driving lessons in colleges
Saudi Gazette | 17 October 2017
Source: http://saudigazette.com.sa/article/519559/SAUDI-ARABIA/Female-students-to-get-driving-lessons-in-colleges

For any woman who was considering teaching English in Saudi Arabia, it might be worthwhile to get certified as a driving instructor. That could be the ultimate in "content-based" instruction.
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: re: street rave? Reply with quote

siologen wrote:
Thanks for that streamable site, never knew of it until know.

Wonder if there was any booze at what appears to be a street rave?

You're welcome.

No doubt, hiding a clear liquid isn't beyond the wit of many Saudis! Wink
2buckets

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think after experiencing the crazy (male) drivers and the problems with finding a parking space, women who can afford it will quickly return to their drivers.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gulezar wrote:
nomad soul wrote:

For any woman who was considering teaching English in Saudi Arabia, it might be worthwhile to get certified as a driving instructor. That could be the ultimate in "content-based" instruction.

Unless the Saudi driver license test is only in English, (female) driving instructors will likely come from Arabic-speaking countries including KSA.
FrenchConnexion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will non-Saudi females be able to drive too?

As far as the niqab being "cultural" and not "religious", that might be according to your view noma soul, but many would beg to differ (with proof). Just FYI. But this is not the place to engage in such a discussion.

I personally do not find it sexist when some say there might be a high(er) level of casualties once women take the wheel. Many Saudi men are bullies behind the wheel, and I fear that regardless of who's driving, they'll continue to behave that way. I am eager to drive here, but so fearful at the same time... And investing in a car to see it wrecked in no time...
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrenchConnexion wrote:
Will non-Saudi females be able to drive too?

As far as the niqab being "cultural" and not "religious", that might be according to your view noma soul, but many would beg to differ (with proof). Just FYI. But this is not the place to engage in such a discussion.

The royal decree to allow women to drive includes Saudi and expat females. As for the niqab, it's not my personal view but, rather, that of my Saudi friends and former students and colleagues. Besides, the women on the government's Shura Council don't all wear niqabs. Anyway, some women may choose to wear one when driving, while others may forego it when behind the wheel (hopefully for safety reasons).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: