Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WHat if public school teachs say nuts to them?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rxk22

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: WHat if public school teachs say nuts to them? Reply with quote

I was wondering, since it seems that the blackest of the Japanese employers, is in faact the BOEs. What if the Japanese teachers just said no? No to the unpaid OT, and clubs. WHere really their working hours are really 8-5 or so. Having them come in from 8-7 and for 5-6 hours on Sat, is really just getting something for free.
When I was in HS, teachers were there until maybe 4 or 5. No one stayed late, unless they were a coach. Also, some coaches were not even teachers. They were people who were interested in the sport, and were paid to teach it. SO, were the teachers if they were a coach. The govt had to pay for it.

Now, if the Japanese teachers decided that they were illegally being asked to work, and went home at resonable times, could the Japnese govt afford it? With the massive deficit, and the already low per capita spending on education here, could the govt pay for people to coach clubs here?

Also, why is it that being part of a club in JHS is mandatory? Is is basically a way to keep teens off of the streets or a different version of babysitting? I just simply don't understand the rationalization, and having asked many people here, I don't ever get a real answer.
mitsui

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peer pressure and conformity. It is worse at private schools.
It is idealistic and nice for teachers to run the clubs but it can make some of them burn out.
Some schools limited teachers to a certain number of years, and then they have to change schools.
New teachers have to try harder to fit in.
They teach less but have extra work with the clubs.

New teachers want a job and do what they are told, hence the preference for younger teachers. Older teachers are harder to boss around.

Yes, in the past (the 1970s) the idea was to keep the kids out of trouble and I can see that. I ran a club about ten years ago and it did help students, but it took up time. Kids need a reason to like school and clubs can do that.
But some clubs, like those in sports can be bad since it can be the only reason they are in school.

Good luck teaching kids who will not go to a university or have no goal or future plan. Their club can be all they have.
dove

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was on the JET Programme, a first-year teacher had a nervous breakdown because of all the work piled on her. She had to run the tennis club, despite not even knowing how to play. Later, I worked at one of the big eikaiwa chains that employed both Japanese and foreign teachers and I saw a male Japanese teacher unravel. He was hospitalized and subsequently quit (I hope quitting saved his life).
It’s a culture of shame in Japan. I mean, most people put covers on their books not to keep them pristine, but to prevent the possible judgement from others.... from strangers who probably don’t even care (because they are too tired to care). I remember once being told to lie to my students when I took a day off to go to a hot spring. They told me to tell them I was going for training at the head office. Why? Fear that it would look like I was shirking my responsibilities and then I and the school would be judged.
Oh, Japan. I miss living there. So many wonderful festivals and so much vibrancy in my beloved Tokyo. But working there..... no thank you.
rxk22

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
Peer pressure and conformity. It is worse at private schools.
It is idealistic and nice for teachers to run the clubs but it can make some of them burn out.
Some schools limited teachers to a certain number of years, and then they have to change schools.
New teachers have to try harder to fit in.
They teach less but have extra work with the clubs.

New teachers want a job and do what they are told, hence the preference for younger teachers. Older teachers are harder to boss around.

Yes, in the past (the 1970s) the idea was to keep the kids out of trouble and I can see that. I ran a club about ten years ago and it did help students, but it took up time. Kids need a reason to like school and clubs can do that.
But some clubs, like those in sports can be bad since it can be the only reason they are in school.

Good luck teaching kids who will not go to a university or have no goal or future plan. Their club can be all they have.

But I think with clubs and school, they forgot ehat is the reward, and how it can reinforce behavior. Also, it seems with it being mandatory, that even if the kid is really awful at school, they still go to club. While in the US if you get bad grades, or are suspended, you can't do any extra curricular activities for that semester or so.
rxk22

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dove wrote:
When I was on the JET Programme, a first-year teacher had a nervous breakdown because of all the work piled on her. She had to run the tennis club, despite not even knowing how to play. Later, I worked at one of the big eikaiwa chains that employed both Japanese and foreign teachers and I saw a male Japanese teacher unravel. He was hospitalized and subsequently quit (I hope quitting saved his life).
It’s a culture of shame in Japan. I mean, most people put covers on their books not to keep them pristine, but to prevent the possible judgement from others.... from strangers who probably don’t even care (because they are too tired to care). I remember once being told to lie to my students when I took a day off to go to a hot spring. They told me to tell them I was going for training at the head office. Why? Fear that it would look like I was shirking my responsibilities and then I and the school would be judged.
Oh, Japan. I miss living there. So many wonderful festivals and so much vibrancy in my beloved Tokyo. But working there..... no thank you.

I don't know about public, but at my old private school, we had several teachers quit due to not being able to deal with bullying and hierarchy. I know it happens in public school, just have not seen it myself.

I don't get the shame of having free time. Like when I was an ALT, people wondered what I did with all my free time. Like I was a miscreant or something. I had hobbies, it was great. Hobbies, should not include sleeping, or remember HS with fondness.

Great country but as you said it is a place that is killing it's self. People work too much, housewives have stupid pressure heaped on them. Meaning people drop out of society, or can't cut it, so they don't have kids, and the cycle is just getting more vicious

It would be awesome if people starting going to companies and saying I am not going to do free OT,, it's not in my contract, and it's illegal. They need a Rosa Parks of illegal OT
mitsui

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, well at the last high school I worked at nobody failed. Kids could sleep in class and do nothing but it did not mean they would get penalized.
Problem was it was a private school which was known for certain clubs.
It also is an escalator school.

Before, in my last two years as a club teacher, poor test scores on midterms and finals could affect club attendance and the senpai enforced it, so it was really great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: