Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NET Scheme questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jmbf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lugubregondola wrote:
The absolute most you can earn on the net scheme is 107k usd says.
The average is going to be half that so point 29 which is 51k usd. What is tax on that? 10% would leave about 45k usd. I'm guessing there's other deductions like health insurance so the likely average take home pay is going to be around 40k usd
This isn't much for an expensive city like hk. You also have housing pay on top of this

Sigh. More incorrect information.

From the govt EDB website (http://www.edb.gov.hk/en/sch-admin/admin/about-sch-staff/net-scheme/remuneration-package.html)

Primary School NETS earn between Points 15 - 29 on the Master Pay Scale.
Secondary School NETS earn between Points 15 - 33 on the Master Pay Scale.

Middle of the range income for a Secondary NET would be at Point 24 = HK 43,145 / month X 12 = HK 517,620 / year or USD 66,361 / year. However, this ignores the housing allowance which most overseas NETS get, this adds approx HK 21,000 / month. So yearly earnings for an 'average' Secondary School NET would be US 98,684.

The earnings for an 'average' Primary School NET at Point 22 (including housing allowance) would be slightly lower at US 92,846 / year.

Moreover, this ignores allowances for flights, medical reimbursement AND end of contract bonuses.
lugubregondola

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes so this has got to be the highest EFL salary in the world 98k USD then.
How much is tax though in HK on 70k salary? 25%?
warriorer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more than 15%; a new NET, starting on the lowest pay grade, will take home approx. $76k gross, and will pay around $7k-$10k in tax. There are then salary increments, gratuities and retention incentives paid out in the following years.

Health care is not compulsory, and is not deducted from salary. The closest thing to a pension (MPF) is a deduction of $130 US per month.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lugubregondola wrote:
Yes so this has got to be the highest EFL salary in the world 98k USD then.

US 98K / year is nowhere close to the top on the EDB NET scheme. Experienced NETs close to the top tier of the scheme could be earning over US 140K / year (with bonuses included). That's why there's great competition to get into it.
mitsui

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. So is the PGDE mandatory or is it optional?
I have taught for twenty years so I think I would be at category seven.
I have a MA in TESOL, too.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
Sounds good. So is the PGDE mandatory or is it optional?
I have taught for twenty years so I think I would be at category seven.
I have a MA in TESOL, too.

You will find the requirements for Primary NETS here:

http://www.edb.gov.hk/en/sch-admin/admin/about-sch-staff/net-scheme/recruitment-primary-net.html

And the requirements for Secondary NETS here:

http://www.edb.gov.hk/en/sch-admin/admin/about-sch-staff/net-scheme/recruitment-secondary-net.html
mitsui

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am qualified.
I am certified in the US in two states but taught at high schools in Japan for eight years.
How much earlier than the deadline should people apply?
Jmbf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
Well I am qualified.
I am certified in the US in two states but taught at high schools in Japan for eight years.
How much earlier than the deadline should people apply?

From the links I posted above:

"Applicants applying for the above position for the 2018/19 school year should send in the completed standard application form with supporting documents by post, by fax or in person to the following address by 26 January 2018. Candidates who are shortlisted for interview and written test will be contacted by e-mails. Those who do not receive any such invitation in eight weeks from the closing date for application may assume that their applications are unsuccessful."

Considering we are now in November, with potential application delays, any follow up questions required etc etc and the tough competition, if you are thinking of trying to enter the EDB NET pool you should send in the application form as soon as possible.
mitsui

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The statements of service would take time as I have taught for 20 years.
I was in Russia, Poland and Morocco in the late 90s.
If one from my supervisor in Poland would be possible, I could do that.
I think the boss in Russia would be different now.
One boss from Morocco is now retired in France.

The CNCC would come from Japan, I guess, as I have been here 17 years.

My BA is in English and I never did CELTA or Delta. I don't see anything on PGDE, and don't understand it as it does not exist in the US.

Maybe I can't do part C as all I have is the MA in Tesol.
oxi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's PGDE 'equivalent'. I got a UK PGCE, not a PGDE (same but different?) I don't know what the qualification is called in the US - but it is probably fine as you said you are certified to teach there.

From other people I know who got jobs, you don't technically need PGDE for primary. But it will be more difficult to get past the competition of course. I don't know anyone who got into secondary without it.

But no PGDE - salary can't go past point 20.

Statements of service can be sorted out later in the process. They'll ask for proof after passing the first interview - in order to fix salary according to experience.

Anyway -

Better apply and find out Smile
mitsui

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My certification had limited teacher training. I did it online.
I had tests and an online course from an American professor.
My MA had the practicum for 150 hours, and I taught in Morocco as an intern.
I just want to teach at a high school.

I just don't know what to put down for part C.
CEB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitsui, it's possible that the EdB may not recognize your teacher training if it didn't have a certified practicum to it. I know people who have had difficulties getting their teaching degrees approved. You say your MA had one that has no bearing on your salary or requirements for the NET scheme. You will need to submit your degree to the HKCAAVQ for assessment to find out. You can still be a primary NET without it but not a secondary NET.

And as far as your statement of service goes, you only need to submit one to assess your starting point on the pay scale. Experience counted towards your staring point is very specific. From what I recall, you have to be employed full-time by a primary school/secondary school (not a tutorial centre) as a native english teacher (not a classroom teacher, teaching assistant, ELTA etc...). I'm pretty sure primary school experience only transfers to PNET and secondary only to SNET as well. There are probably some other critera that I'm forgetting...I think it has to be on school letterhead, signed and chopped as well.

The CNCC can be done here, you go to a government office and just make a declaration and they chop it.
mitsui

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My BA was in English, nothing about education.
I currently work part-time in Japan.
I may not be qualified then.
CEB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are still qualified for the PNET scheme, assuming you have a bachelor degree. If your teaching degree is not recognized then that means you will be in category 4 and can't progress past pt20 of the pay scale. Without relevant experience (as seen by the EDB), you would also start at the bottom of the pay scale (pt15)
Jmbf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even starting at point 15 on the pay scale, that's approx HKD 29K / month. If you include the special allowance (housing allowance) of approx HKD 21K / month thats a total of approx HKD 50K / month (or approx USD 77K / year). I'm pretty sure that's a very good income compared with most Japanese teaching salaries. And that's not including bonuses, travel allowances etc etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: