Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No Religion and No Politics in the Teaching Contract

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rioux

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: No Religion and No Politics in the Teaching Contract Reply with quote

This clause about not attempting to spread one's religion and the discussion of certain political topics that attempts to undermine China are in all (that I have seen thus far) the teaching contracts.

Rather than discussing the rightness or wrongness of this policy the purpose of this thread is to find out if anyone knows of any teacher being kicked out of China for violating this clause. I personally have never witnessed it but perhaps others have.
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of an FT being kicked out of China, but I had a nutcase monitor complain about my discussing the various religions in America as well as capitalism. The FT liaison came to my room (a student texted him) and pulled me outside and told me that I couldn't do that. When I showed him the @#!*#% history book that I was given to teach from, he calmed down and went away.

MOD EDIT

I don't think that sort of thing happens in public universities. We're kept on a short leash in that sense. If it's in the book, it's cool.
Volver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try saying something like Taiwan is a foreign country and see what happens. Students, parents, admin all go crazy. Can't imagine why.

V
papuadn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volver wrote:
Can't imagine why.
Because avoiding topics deemed offensive or harmful (controversial politics/religion) is a (boiler-plate) contractual condition in China. Rolling Eyes

I do not know of any deportation so predicated. I arrived shortly before the banning of Big Bang Theory, popular in China, after its star had made their sexual orientation a topic for interviews, etc. Nonetheless, students occasionally referenced it in class. Eventually I asked them, "Isn't it banned?" To which their response was coyly ignorant. Individuals explained (paraphrasing): People download and watch what they want, but don't talk about it. Which was something of a denial to me because they had talked openly about it, but my perception of degree and context is not a native one.

Referencing some banned topics is less of an issue than explicitly discussing what the government bans.

Two of my students (same sex) were openly affectionate in the mildest of terms throughout three years; they didn't kiss in the halls, for example. An "open secret" because, I think, they were relatively discreet.

Versus a student proclaiming on the first day of class when I had them make cursory introductions: And I'm a Christian! "That's great...okay...next," was my only immediate acknowledgement. The exception of it resulted in an isolation from other students, but only for a time. Several students "bested" her and drifted away like the majority of others.

I have had several Christian adult acquaintances over the years and it's similar. Church services can be scrutinized, and the complaints were (paraphrasing): Oh, you can perform the rituals and sing, but there's no sermon or Bible study inside. We meet privately for that.

Why any guest of a country, especially an educator, would challenge/agitate/persuade is an agenda and solecism and unfortunately common.

The 3 Ms: Mercenary, Missionary, Misft
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: