Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety in Saudi Arabia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
airapets

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Safety in Saudi Arabia Reply with quote

It has been reported that a missle was intercepted just outside of Riyadh which had been launched by rebels in Yemen. Has there been any coverage of this in Saudi Arabia? How has the media covered it?

I had recently been considering returning to Saudi Arabia to work, but this has been quite off-putting, to say the least.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a global news story and has been similarly covered by the news media in pretty much every country in the region, including Saudi Arabia.

There's no way to predict potential safety issues (as some expats experienced years ago with the Arab Spring). If you're greatly worried about your personal security, then consider working elsewhere for a while.
airapets

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: The media within Saudi Arabia Reply with quote

NomadSoul, I already clearly see how media around the world is covering it. I was asking how it is being covered within Saudi Arabia.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of much more significance is the current palace coup by the son of the king...

VS
hash

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: The media within Saudi Arabia Reply with quote

airapets wrote:
NomadSoul, I already clearly see how media around the world is covering it. I was asking how it is being covered within Saudi Arabia.
You can get a pretty good idea of what's being said and what's happening in KSA in English, at least officially, by accessing the newspaper the Arab News at www.arabnews.com. Unless you can read Arabic, that's probably the best immediate source of KSA news available.

You mentioned you had been in KSA before so I'm surprised you are unaware of this. The Arab News has been around for decades.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're worried about being hit by a missile, stay at home under the duvet Rolling Eyes

far more serious concerns about safety in Saudi than missiles!
siologen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: re: interesting... Reply with quote

Quote:

Care to elaborate on? Are you referring to the strict punishments for crimes, and/or the risk of terrorism?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: re: interesting... Reply with quote

siologen wrote:
Quote:

Care to elaborate on? Are you referring to the strict punishments for crimes, and/or the risk of terrorism?

Just follow the latest news. KSA has been a top story.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

er I was thinking simply of the mundane business of getting to and from work
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road Traffic Accidents
There are a lot of them and lots of people die in them.

The real weapon of mass destruction in the region - the motor car !

Last edited by scot47 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
AbeCross

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Dangerous roads Reply with quote

Exactly! More people die on the roads in one day than are killed by Yemeni missiles in one year. Driving on the roads or being a pedestrian is the most- dangerous thing in KSA.
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either the roads are getting safer or I'm getting used to the crazy. I haven't seen a proper wreck in Riyadh for a long time, the cameras at junctions and bigger fines seem to be keeping the crazy outside of the city's borders. Still plenty of fender benders but the days of seeing a new burnt out wreck on every trip to/from work are long gone... *sigh*
siologen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: re: my mistake.. Reply with quote

Ah, my mistake then. Thanks for the replies all.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my early years in KSA (1970-1972) I actually bought a car and drove around in my usual style (similar to Mr Toad) When I went back after some years (1990) i took a look at the chaos on the roads and decided to minimise my exposure to road traffic. I travelled to work in a pool car or hired a taxi. Did the same on my next spell 1996-2002 and 2003-2011.

Driving in KSA is not pleasant. Scary and dangerous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: