Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Considering Vietnam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AbeCross

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Considering Vietnam Reply with quote

I am a highly-experienced and educated EFL teacher who is considering working in Nam. I am looking for a good university job or language institute job teaching young adults. I have taught in several countries, including Thailand. I am seeking a reputable employer with high academic standards.
Mattingly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Considering Vietnam Reply with quote

AbeCross wrote:
I am looking for a good university job or language institute job teaching young adults.

As for universities many only fire foreigners for part-time hourly positions, often lack resources, and not what I would consider "good."

One exception however, is teaching specific subjects if one is qualified to do so.

As for language centers, I'm not trying to be negative but a very small few I would consider "good."

Others can give their opinion.

Quote:
I am seeking a reputable employer with high academic standards.

I'll let others chime in.

I don't want to sound too negative.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering Vietnam Reply with quote

AbeCross wrote:
I have taught in several countries, including Thailand. I am seeking a reputable employer with high academic standards.

Then Vietnam and Thailand are not places you should be looking.

skarper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me or does this sound like trolling? Anybody who has even cursorily perused this forum will know that Vietnam is no place for an experienced and qualified teacher.

Now - if you want to be in Vietnam and have that profile you will have a better chance of finding one of the better jobs. But if you don't need to be in Vietnam for other reasons take your qualifications and experience elsewhere. They are not really wanted here.

Or by all means fetch up here and prove me wrong. It's your life after all.
bograt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Considering Vietnam Reply with quote

AbeCross wrote:
I am a highly-experienced and educated EFL teacher who is considering working in Nam. I am looking for a good university job or language institute job teaching young adults. I have taught in several countries, including Thailand. I am seeking a reputable employer with high academic standards.

Apply to British Council. There's one in Hanoi and HMC.
AbeCross

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Not trolling Reply with quote

"Is it just me or does this sound like trolling? Anybody who has even cursorily perused this forum will know that Vietnam is no place for an experienced and qualified teacher."

I have read the forums and am thinking about possible venues. If Vietnam is a less-than-ideal destination, then what is? Finding a reputable EFL employer in any country is a difficult undertaking. Impugning my motives serves no purpose.
skarper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reread my post and it does come across harsher than I intended. I'm sorry if it irritated you.

There are very few really good employers in Vietnam and perhaps less and less all the time.

You are right that this is a global trend and can be quite depressing.

People living happily here perhaps have a main job that pays the basic bills and take on some private students to top up their income or so they can pick and choose who to teach.

Above all they have some reason to be in Vietnam that is not work based.

The British Council as mentioned above is perhaps the only really good place but they can be a pain to work for too and require a lot of hoop jumping to get hired. There is an old thread on here about them that covers the pros and cons.

I had a bad experience applying for the BC in Seoul but in the end the were not what I was looking for at that time anyway, so it was all for the best anyway.

Anyway - sorry to snap at you. I shouldn't post when in a bad mood!
AbeCross

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Vietnam as possible destination Reply with quote

"There are very few really good employers in Vietnam and perhaps less and less all the time.

You are right that this is a global trend and can be quite depressing."

Yes, a global trend. Salaries in Thailand and Japan have not gone up in 20 years! The only market that seems to be booming at present is in China, but there are more than a few dubious employers there, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: