Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Social security 6 years in.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doogsville

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:13 am    Post subject: Social security 6 years in. Reply with quote

Hi, I just got a message from my FAO telling me I have to contribute 10.2% of my salary in social security payments from now on. Also the uni will pay 30.65%. I'm on my 6th contract here and they're dropping this on me now. I just wondered if it's a nationwide, or even Guangdong wide thing, or just my uni? Hey ho, if I needed another reason to leave China next year (I don't) then this would have been it. final nail and all that.

Also, I know it's been covered but I can't find it, has anyone successfully claimed it back on leaving China?
jimpellow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is nationwide, but has been like other directives from above implemented at different times in different jurisdictions. I do believe that they intend to give you all but the medical part back if you claim it when you leave. The catch is that you have three days just before your departure for the school and the government to do their parts. To me, it sounds like in reality you will not get it back as someone is going to sit on it.

I have wondered about this before too as I have never heard of anyone who successfully claimed it or got sc***** out of it. I think in reality that few attempt to claim it.

BTW, the school loses their contribution. That is a pretty low percentage your school needs to pay compared to the typical 35% and up to 40%. As I have said before, that 30% to 40% actually become an indirect tax on teachers' salaries as it significantly raises the overhead on teachers and hence depresses salaries.
Foo_Fighters_Dave

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If teachers retire in China at 65, can they use it as their pension? Can Foreign teachers retire and live in China off their payments into pension? I always wondered this.

In South Korea, I paid into pension and could cash it out when I leave for good or use it when I turn 65.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read up on this, but the funny thing about it originally was that a teacher could not draw the pension as he could not retire in China unless he was say married to a Chinese national. The last I read, which was discussed here, was talk of allowing the teacher for drawing it from overseas.

That is not a half bad idea. The problem as I see it is that China's pension system, like many in the world today, is severely underfunded and has horrific demographics working against it in the future. Once they need to do cuts, I think it would be wise to conclude that the foreigners' pensions would be at the top of the list.
Elicit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have received a refund from this scheme as have 2 other ex-colleagues. Just a trip to the city’s pension administration office with my passport and the willingness to tell them I was leaving China was enough for me (I didn’t leave China but new employer hadn’t implemented the social security scheme). The refund was in my Chinese account in less than three weeks.

Employers lose contributions and you need to spend everything on the medical card or lose this money/benefit too, as someone has already said. You should get all of your contributions back in a nice little lump sum, so this scheme is best viewed as a savings account. After all, who in their right mind would want to retire here.
NiHaoDaJia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As our western countries decline, I think many westerners will hope to retire in China. The people are honest and in my view, Chinese food is the best in the world. I am an American who came to China to teach conversational English. I will consider retiring in China using the old age pension system that is now in effect.
Elicit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NiHaoDaJia wrote:
I am an American who came to China to teach conversational English.

Are you sure? Doesn’t appear to be the case from your posts.
The bear

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimpellow wrote:
The catch is that you have three days just before your departure for the school and the government to do their parts. To me, it sounds like in reality you will not get it back as someone is going to sit on it.

Just interested where you heard that? Do you mean 3 days before you leave China? 3 days before your contract finishes?
Modernist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

NiHaoDaJia wrote:
I am an American who came to China to teach conversational English.

Are you sure? Doesn’t appear to be the case from your posts.

Haha, I find that guy's posts hilarious. I was very impressed when he added the waving flag avatar. Really gives it the extra special touch. Now I KNOW he's really American!

Not sure why he bothers though. I concede his grammatical fluency is excellent by Chinese standards. But I really can't quite grasp his purpose in posting here. He's rather entertaining though, so carry on!

I especially liked the one where he informed everyone that it's much easier for Chinese to learn English than for English-speakers to learn Chinese, because I guess Chinese is a more advanced language. Or Chinese are just smarter, or they study harder, or something.

And now I also realize that China is a bastion of old-age security, too! So glad I've been enlightened on this matter. Perhaps soon the Americans and Europeans can come on over here and have themselves a lesson on how to properly care for the elderly. I propose the first session can be led by the cardboard box ladies.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bear wrote:
jimpellow wrote:
The catch is that you have three days just before your departure for the school and the government to do their parts. To me, it sounds like in reality you will not get it back as someone is going to sit on it.

Just interested where you heard that? Do you mean 3 days before you leave China? 3 days before your contract finishes?

I had heard three days before you leave China. This is somewhat dated information as I had read that shortly after the system was implemented.

The poster above made it sound that it has become easier, though it may depend on jurisdiction. It did make it sound that the money was deposited to a Chinese account quicker than three weeks however. It is heartening to hear that teachers have indeed received their money.

I don't know if his case was special as the new employer had not yet implemented it. It makes no sense to me how some employers are able to get away without implementing it while others were coerced into it as soon as it started a few years back. It is a huge competitive advantage for a school to not have to participate in it.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimpellow wrote:

I don't know if his case was special as the new employer had not yet implemented it. It makes no sense to me how some employers are able to get away without implementing it while others were coerced into it as soon as it started a few years back. It is a huge competitive advantage for a school to not have to participate in it.

I think it comes down to the tax and social security codes. The health insurance part is gone if you sign a waiver or have a third party provider, the pension can be written off similarly I am guessing.
lionheartuk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been implemented where I work and I have been here 10 yrs.
Elicit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jurisdiction is probably at play, but also the employer who reluctantly followed the social security system had little choice in the matter due to using staff for part-time work on all flavor of visas for a lengthy period of time before being made to conform to the employment regulations. No competition in their business with other providers though, so perhaps they did sign up more willingly.

Come to think of it, I did lose 1 month’s contribution because I cashed in before my last paycheck. This was a sacrifice well made though because I had already contributed a reasonable amount of money and wanted to ensure I got it back.

Rather than lose the last month, it would be possible to leave China and access the funds in your account from another country. I know somebody who did this, but in my opinion it would be a riskier prospect. However, when you close you must tell them that you are leaving the country (irrespective of real future plans) or problems may ensue.

On a standard one year university salary swallowing the loss may be doable but for lengthier contracts or more highly paid work it soon adds up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: