Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Procedure for changing from one job to another in Vietnam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject: Procedure for changing from one job to another in Vietnam Reply with quote

Can one leave a job part way through a contract, and switch to another job without penalty?

Does anyone know the procedure?

My main concern would by do you need a "release letter" from your original employer, who is effectively your sponsor, right? What if they refuse?

Also, do you have to exit the country, and return on a new visa?
skarper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a proper work permit that effectively belongs to your employer and you have to start over with a new WP from your new employer. The first employer can facilitate this but cannot frustrate the process like they can in Korea, for example.

That said, not many teachers have Work Permits. I'd guess 1 in 10 at best of the people working here do. If you work less than 3 months for a given employer it seems you don't actually need to have one, and a lot of employers exploit this loophole.

It's a chaotic visa/work permit system which is unlikely to change for the better.

I think you can find answers to your questions in old threads on here. This is an easy one and I don't mind chipping in with what I think the situation is.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skarper wrote:
If you have a proper work permit that effectively belongs to your employer and you have to start over with a new WP from your new employer. The first employer can facilitate this but cannot frustrate the process like they can in Korea, for example.

That said, not many teachers have Work Permits. I'd guess 1 in 10 at best of the people working here do. If you work less than 3 months for a given employer it seems you don't actually need to have one, and a lot of employers exploit this loophole.

It's a chaotic visa/work permit system which is unlikely to change for the better.

I think you can find answers to your questions in old threads on here. This is an easy one and I don't mind chipping in with what I think the situation is.

Thanks for the good info on the above post!

And to add to the above: There are 64 provinces in VN and the rules are set in Hanoi but they are interpreted and enforced in many different ways. One province might easily grant one a work permit while another might have delay after delay. Thousands of foreign teachers work illegally in Hanoi and HCMC while just 1 foreign teacher showing up in a provincial city might be cause for a visit from the local police but all might be solved with some coffee money. Again these are just some of the reasons why it's difficult to say YES or NO to questions asked on the forum.

If you are working under the table it's very easy to change employers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: