Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEB
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tin man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: FEB Reply with quote

I am curious to know if many teachers have gone to the FEB for help with contract disputes, bad bosses, etc. I suppose the results vary widely but would appreciate any feedback. In my case, I ended up in a relatively good situation but with a bad boss who can't be trusted. And again wondering what good it would do in the event it becomes necessary to seek help getting paid, etc.
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your City FAO will do a better job of checking out problems with your boss. The City FAO can deny a school (public or private) the right to hire foreigners.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A former student is now working for a Western consulate in a large city and I've been surprised at the power and reach of the City FAO. Beijing is far away, but the FAO is right across the street.
tin man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay great feedback. Appreciate the advice.
tin man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: FEB Reply with quote

I finally reached the end of my rope with the cheating *beep* running the school that I hired a lawyer. The attorney is in the process of putting the case together and feels confident the school will lose. My plan is to switch to a more stable school once the lawyer get the release letter. I could of gone to the FAO/FEB but the advice I got locally was that it was better to hire a lawyer.
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The City FAO is free and is required to act on foreigners' complaints. The City FAO will also know if there have been previous complaints and will use this as leverage against your school's FAO.

Believe it or not, the city FAO also knows things about the FTs. When I filed a complaint against my school several years ago, the City FAO said, "My understanding is that back in February you were very happy with the school. What has changed?" That was true. I was happy with the school THEN.

If it is a complicated situation involving a third party such as some sort of school contractor (housing, cafeteria, bus privileges, etc.), your best bet may actually be a lawyer, but you should contact your City FAO out of courtesy. The City FAO may be in a position to supply information to the lawyer that the lawyer may not be able to discover otherwise.

Good luck. Keep us informed. It will help everyone.
tin man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has others visited their FAO to help smooth out problems? The FEB was not much help (the new school trying to hire me contacted them). I am trying to get a release letter and willing to pay the breach even though the school has not honored the contract.
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited the City FAO twice for a complaint against my school. The first time, the assistant FAO (a male) called the school to find out when the problem would be solved. When I asked him what the owner of the school told him, he said that the problem would probably never be solved. (It's complicated). When the City FAO herself got involved a few minutes later, she picked up the phone and called the school's FAO. Problem solved.

Fast forward eight months. Another serious problem. The assistant FAO and the Head FAO were alarmed to hear that the school FAO wasn't in her office and couldn't be reached. She was at home taking care of her baby. They got on a bus with me to make a surprise visit.

I heard from a Chinese teacher at that school that the school can no longer hire foreign teachers. So yeah, the City FAO has some pull, especially if the school FAO isn't a senior party member.

An aside. The second time I went to the city FAO, it was over no heat in the apartment. As I rode the elevator down with the City FAO (a woman) I asked her what if the school can't or won't turn on the heat. I was REALLY miffed.

The woman didn't miss a beat. She was going to show what she was made of.

"Then you can stay in my apartment," she replied. [I swear. She actually said that].

The assistant FAO looked like he might p*** in his pants.

I decided to push the envelope: "Look. Let's just forget this whole thing. I can bring my stuff to your place tonight. There's no need to make a big deal out of this. Let's just forget it, okay?"

The assistant FAO swooned from jealousy. That woman was gorgeous.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story Bud you ol devil you!
Interesting that the right to hire foreigners was withdrawn. That would be a huge wake up for a school, particularly if they are using foreign teachers as a student recruitment tool.
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tin man:

You may not need to push the City FAO or Foreign Experts Bureau too hard. There may already be complaints against the school for action to be taken.

In my case, my predecessor left the school on bad terms. (That's all i could glean. Different sources recounted different reasons, not all of which sounded like the FT was at fault). I do know that he complained to the City FAO when he left. The school's FAO left her position soon after.

Then I left after almost two years. I complained before I left.

Then the Japanese teachers who worked at the school when I was there were scrod out of summer pay as did the western teachers. That's what broke the duck's back.

There may be no cause to go with guns ablaze when you visit the FEB or the City FAO. Someone may have preceded you. Don't do what I did. I tend to push things into the zone of total absurdity, something which few people appreciate. In my case, the City FAO knew what I was doing and successfully parried my absurd jab with and equally absurd answer. (That doesn't mean that I didn't think of the possibilities for a long time after).

I do think that you should see the FEB and the City FAO. They may be one and the same person.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sage advice Bud - even though when you get to the 'FAO' stage you are incandescent with fury.
Softly softly and keep 'face' in mind
thechangling

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've left a message on the SAFEA website because i need to make a complaint to them about the FAO at the college i recently left after being threatened and accused of stuff that was not true. Is this the fastest way to make contact with the city FAO in Wuhan for example?
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine going to or calling their office would be faster.
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thechangling wrote:
I've left a message on the SAFEA website because i need to make a complaint to them about the FAO at the college i recently left after being threatened and accused of stuff that was not true. Is this the fastest way to make contact with the city FAO in Wuhan for example?

Don't hold your breath waiting for someone at SAFEA to return your call. Just go to the City FAO in person. The people there speak English.
tin man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it not the law that a teacher can terminate a contract with 30 days notice if he is willing to pay the breach penalty. Will the FAO enforce this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: