Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have Any of You Done GED Prep?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bj80

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Have Any of You Done GED Prep? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Just curious, have any of you done GED (General Education Development) prep?

Although a lot of answers with international education have "it depends" I genuinely think every world citizen could benefit from the GED, in English.

It is the basic, minimum standard of competency in English literacy, mathematics, science, and social studies.

I write to the GED testing center to open more places, such as in China.

I think it would be a great international standard to go on, because there seems to be not enough standardization in the educational world.

Has anyone taught GED prep, etc.?

I know many of you say to find my passions; this is definitely one.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every "world citizen" would benefit from a wide liberal education. That would include a foreign language. Is that going to happen ? Nope !
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like some of your other recent discussions, it seems you've posed this GED idea before in http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=112900, under your previous username. It would be better to add to your established threads rather than start new ones with the same topics/questions.

Anyway, take a look at New GED® test for students testing outside the U.S. and Canada. As for teaching high school equivalency courses, instructors in the US generally need to be state certified/licensed in Adult Basic Education (ABE). Classes are mostly held in public schools and community colleges. Keep in mind that teaching the language arts requirements isn't the same as teaching ESL.
bj80

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I know I have been meandering too much. I just want to find something I really like. There are parts I seriously like about teaching, other parts I find wasteful, boring, etc. Perhaps it is the way for many other people; but, it is also the same way for me.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GED (general education diploma) is pretty ethnocentric and low end.

Even at home the GED is what drop-outs do to get something that pretends to be a G12 completion certificate so they can say that they have graduated from high school.

Perhaps a focus on the IGCSEs ? There is certainly a broader market for it especially for entry into post secondary programs (anywhere).

I certainly don't see any great need for the GED or GED prep in the Asian context. Anybody here who would be going to school in North America would certainly be able to do much better than the GED.

The IB and IGCSE certificates certainly hold more weight for post secondary entrance and are broadly popular in Asia.

scot47

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in Europe there is zero demand for this
bj80

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. In truth, as a practitioner, I am pretty mediocre.

But, I was published in some university research articles I did in education.

The hard part is to find universal constants that would hold true everywhere, and be accepted everywhere. I like the GED because it is good for that, at least with US schools.

Hypothetically, if there was a brilliant person born in a small village in a place like India, they could learn material themselves or over the internet (if they even had access to it). Then, go to a test center and take the test.

There would be less of this "score high SAT score, SAT II, AP, etc." b.s. It would be a great universal, basic standard.

Of course, many people could do much better. But, for people who need basics, ESL + GED would be a great basic, standard of knowledge. Does anyone have a better standard of test?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The hard part is to find universal constants that would hold true everywhere, and be accepted everywhere. I like the GED because it is good for that, at least with US schools.

As with your earlier quests for 'universal standards,' this one is also completely impractical. It's so impractical as to be impossible to discuss in any reasonable manner, IMO.
Further, I've never understood your wish for 'universal constants.' Why bother arguing that EFL/ESL should not acknowledge and embrace the fact that English language learners differ in numerous valid ways? EFL/ESL teachers are generally pretty capable of dealing with variety.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" Hypothetically, if there was a brilliant person born in a small village in a place like India, they could learn material themselves or over the internet (if they even had access to it). Then, go to a test center and take the test. "

This is also true of the IGCSEs which are much more broadly accepted for university entrance in the North American context (and globally) than a GED (that won't get you into anything but a junior college in the States and won't get you into a university in Canada).

It won't matter how brilliant you are, a GED won't get you into a decent university anywhere and in the Asian context anyone who is studying to go abroad has no use for the GED and if not going to North American it, as an exam, has no value at all.

The GED was originally and largely still remains a means for high school drop outs to get an equivalent to a high school diploma.

bj80

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make some good points that IGCSE's are broader and may be valuable. I'll look into that and see if it can be a wide-blanket standard that the world should be prepping for.

As far as the GED's reciprocity/acceptance, I think you may be wrong:

https://www.gedtestingservice.com/testers/intl-acceptance

Almost all universities in the US will take it. So, even at Harvard, if Harvard valued the schools in the other ways, they could do it.

I have helped a few students in China get into college a year early, simply because US universities know how much unnecessary lying, junk, etc. is there. Them getting accepted, and simply taking the GED in lieu of graduating a messed up high school is accepted.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You make some good points that IGCSE's are broader and may be valuable. I'll look into that and see if it can be a wide-blanket standard that the world should be prepping for.

To what end/for what purpose? The world is unlikely to take your advice on this Wink
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In England and Wales, GCSEs are usually taken at 16 and they don't carry much weight for universities. They are usually a signpost of basic literacy. (The usual phrase is '3 GCSEs at C or above including maths and English').

A-levels, or various equivalents, are usually taken at 18. It's those grades that are used for university entrance. GCSEs might be used to differentiate students with identical A-level grades, but they have no value for UCAS points.

iGCSEs are an even lower level than regular GCSEs. Surely they aren't being used for university entrance requirements? Shocked
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the US, many states are moving away from using the GED. Around 26 states and territories have replaced it with the HiSET. The number of states may actually be larger now, since it's been a while since I heard that, and they seem to be increasing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: