Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got the cut today, with 10 days notice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Got the cut today, with 10 days notice Reply with quote

I recently signed up with an "international school" down in Guangdong (fall semester start), and was immediately aware that this school was really just a warehouse for rich, spoilt, drop out kiddies with nowhere else to go. Last stop for the rubbish.

I was assigned to teach Reading - a new course at the school. I'd made them aware during the skype interview that I had minimal experience in this department.

So, they had two major complaints:
1. I was not preparing properly for the classes. I will reply with the fact that they changed the course material/syllabus THREE times in the last three months. It's not easy to build continuity, and get comfortable with the material, when the carpet is being pulled out from underneath you, and the school takes no blame.

2. The students (surprise surprise) were not happy with my teaching. Might it be that I tried to instill some discipline in them, and they weren't happy they were getting a free ride? I was even called out for breaking the Chinese Education "law", because I kicked out two kids who hadn't brought their homework to class for the third of fourth time.

Oh, they also mentioned days that I was absent (December 30th and 31st) - I wasn't even working at the school at that time.

So, basically they're lumping ALL the blame on me. I'm not at all sad to leave this good-for-nothing school, but want to make sure it's done lawfully and I get all money owed to me. If they give me notice today (Nov 20th) surely I need a month's full notice, not 10 days (and the equivalent salary).

I'm more than happy to leave, I won't have to look at those sullen good-for-nothings anymore.

Now it's about getting a new job ASAP, packing and leaving this stinking pile of oxygen thieves for good.

Your thoughts?

PS. If you have any good job offers PM me!
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Last edited by Hermosillo on Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be that you were on probation and notice rules are a lot different. Generally, they should be more concerned about the most popular teachers with the students...because so rarely is it based on amount learned. You had a pulse, they hired you, probably avoided paperwork by firing you, lather, rinse, repeat....
The bear

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about this, you're definitely taking the fall for their incompetence by the sound of it.

I remember your posts about finding this school, your thoughts about it, etc. Not a nice way for it to end.

Though to get back to the point, check your contract. As Hermosillo said 'probationary periods' are a common 'clause' in a contract, often set by law depending on the length of your contract. I think a one year contract is 1 month, 3 years 6 months. If you had a 2 year contract...well, could be that it's nearly 3 months which sounds about the right time for a probationary period. Again, check your contract.

If you have a trusted Chinese friend, ask them to check the Chinese side of the contract. For all it's worth, contact your local SAFEA. I've never done this, never known anyone personally who has done this BUT I've heard two posters on this board who it has worked for. If you have time, that is.

Best of luck.
Relevant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Got the cut today, with 10 days notice Reply with quote

theoriginalprankster wrote:

Now it's about getting a new job ASAP, packing and leaving this stinking pile of oxygen thieves for good.

Your thoughts?

PS. If you have any good job offers PM me!

You are a very candid guy, TOP. Sorry the next try at China is not working out so well at the moment.

How would you say that this job compares to the the last job you left in Shanghai?
jimpellow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the first point as mentioned by others is if you are still on probation or not. I am really quite positive (unless they have changed it) that they can only keep you on probation for one month per year of the initial contract. This is what it is for Chinese employees, and teachers legally working in China are afforded the exact same protections and perks now.

Of course, most schools are still completely unaware of this despite the fact that it has been in force for 4 years now. Then again, the fact that they are pointing to issues like you having "broken" Chinese law may indicate that this school is aware (likely as they have canned other teachers for the same BS and got their pi gu's burned by a teacher that went to the authorities)).

Posts like these may help you....

https://www.chinalawblog.com/2015/04/terminating-china-employees-the-basics.html

You gave a very frank accounting of what occurred, but as the specifics of where you are in your contract are unknown, and one still doesn't know yet the terms of the separation, I think it is difficult to offer concrete advice.
The bear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimpellow wrote:
I think the first point as mentioned by others is if you are still on probation or not. I am really quite positive (unless they have changed it) that they can only keep you on probation for one month per year of the initial contract.

I don't think that's true, a 3 year contract is 180 days of probation by law.

Either way, OP needs to closely read their contract. I'd be very, very surprised if OP was still on a probationary period in November for a one year contract that started in September. Definitely sounds like the school just wants rid and is BSing.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out TOP. I guess that you won't be coming back to SH anyway? Are you done with China now (ready for the Nam perhaps) or will you give it another bash?
rioux

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Got the cut today, with 10 days notice Reply with quote

Oh, they also mentioned days that I was absent (December 30th and 31st) - I wasn't even working at the school at that time.

What was their reaction when you pointed this out to them?
Foo_Fighters_Dave

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember you bragging about how great this job was and how nice the city would be for your health. It sounded like you found a good job in a previous post of yours in the summer. Sorry to hear that you got let go. It sounds like it was probation. I was under the impression that probation lasts for up to 90 days for jobs.

How are your colleagues? Are they unhappy there as well?

I also remember you being unhappy at your last job in Shanghai. Do you think it is time to try a different place?
jimpellow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes bear, you are right. A contract from three to five years in duration is indeed up to six months. Ouch!

https://www.chinalawblog.com/2014/09/china-employee-probation-dont-let-it-slip-away.html

https://www.chinalawblog.com/2016/06/china-employee-probation-periods-set-it-right.html

Still good reading for those in China as it shows that in a lot of circumstances the schools are breaking the law by doing the kinds of things that Chinese schools are so infamously fond of doing.
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry to hear that it didn't work out TOP. I guess that you won't be coming back to SH anyway? Are you done with China now (ready for the Nam perhaps) or will you give it another bash?

I'm fed up with China and all its BS.

Quote:

What was their reaction when you pointed this out to them?

Silence.

I'm beginning to think that at least 70% of teaching jobs are fraught with dead-end students, incompetent administration and all the lies and cheating that I'm now experiencing in my last two jobs.

Us, a foreigners, are expendable. They know it and abuse it.
rioux

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope all the best for you in whatever you deciede to do.
rioux

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope all the best for you in whatever you decide to do.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Us, a foreigners, are expendable. They know it and abuse it."

The current supply and demand reality dictates that ESL teachers are not in fact expendable, especially those of who are qualified and able to obtain papers.

Most Mainland Chinese schools just continue to act as if we were, which is one major reason why fewer and fewer teachers are coming, and more and more are leaving. I honestly don't think that they will ever get it.

Shame you took this job in the first place. You could have been in greener pastures by now, like you had planned after the last school blow-up. Never too late to make a fresh start...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: