Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job offer from Echo English, advice and opinions welcome
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tefl-ing
By the time you get a contract that you can get a visa with, the employer will have done a lot of work. So bailing out, whelching or whatever, is an issue.
There is the black list issue but I have no direct experience of that.
As to temp agencies in the west which no one has heard of, try these:

https://nz.drakeintl.com/
http://www.kellyservices.co.nz/Global/About-Us/Company_Overview/

There seem to be a couple of posters who as recently as last month were saying 'I'm new' and 'How do I get a job?' who have suddenly metamorphosed into arbiters of pay and conditions across the sector.
JB140767

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="buravirgil"]
tefl_ing wrote:

Great quote MysteryTrain.

No. Do you talk like this in class?
buravirgil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB140767 wrote:
Ill say it again, 5000RMB is verrrrry scanty in China and anyone inferring it is the norm is doing a huge disservice to newbies
Let's see...distinguishing imply from infer is typically taught in an eighth grade English class?

But we're not in a class. We're posting to a forum of English teachers and you're focused on asserting what's an acceptable salary to the exclusion of many variables.
JB140767

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buravirgil wrote:
JB140767 wrote:
Ill say it again, 5000RMB is verrrrry scanty in China and anyone inferring it is the norm is doing a huge disservice to newbies
Let's see...distinguishing imply from infer is typically taught in an eighth grade English class?

But we're not in a class. We're posting to a forum of English teachers and you're focused on asserting what's an acceptable salary to the exclusion of many variables.

infer
verb in·fer \in-ˈfər\
: to form (an opinion) from evidence : to reach (a conclusion) based on known facts

: to hint or suggest (something)

to hint or suggest.

Quote:
'you're focused on asserting what's an acceptable salary to the exclusion of many variables.

I have said high salaries are good low are bad, I think thats fair. I would dearly love for you to point out where I said money is the be all, to the exclusion of other variables - can you point out where i said that? Or is it merely a false inference?
buravirgil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given your sentence, citing that definition doesn't demonstrate a proficiency with its usage-- an 8th grade proficiency. You might try a search, such as "imply vs. infer" as it's commonly confused.

I stated that your posts focus on pay to an exclusion of other variables. I haven't stated you've declared pay is more, or less important, (be all) than other considerations. The specific, contended issue of this thread is Xrmb in Y city. You addressed an amount, solely. No questions as to accomodation, vacation, or hours per week.

And, to be fair to you, what NonSequitor and myself recognized is a tendency by many, and your uncomplicated dismissal was snared. I think the consensus of the thread is the OP's suspicions of a contractor placing teachers in public schools for a figure only familiar to university teachers is warranted. And your condemnation of it has that basis.

The only way such a position has value is if the hours are as few as a university position, a decent accommodation is offered, and teachers already working report tutoring opportunities are abundant.
JB140767

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buravirgil wrote:
Given your sentence, citing that definition doesn't demonstrate a proficiency with its usage-- an 8th grade proficiency. You might try a search, such as "imply vs. infer" as it's commonly confused.

Dictionary = suggest, I used it as such, you know better, fair enough, no point talking to some people.

Quote:
Xrmb in Y city. You addressed an amount, solely. No questions as to accomodation, vacation, or hours per week

but HangZhou is one of the most expensive cities in the country

In this case, the package details quoted are skimpy and nothing special 15 hours and a free apartment - just the same as the vast majority of jobs out there then. No mention of flight money or 10/11/12 months, so one can only judge on the information available.

Yeah, I totally did not mention any of these things, my bad
frankieboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Echo English Reply with quote

@Tefling -

I suppose you have already made up your mind, but if not, AVOID Echo English. They are the worst; glorified human traffickers. I quit my job early, after about 7 weeks, while they still had my passport, and they kidnapped my passport and held me hostage, forced me to pay rent, and extorted money from me. Human GARBAGE!

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=115513&highlight=echo

Frank
tellersquill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Echo English Reply with quote

frankieboy wrote:
@Tefling -

I suppose you have already made up your mind, but if not, AVOID Echo English. They are the worst; glorified human traffickers. I quit my job early, after about 7 weeks, while they still had my passport, and they kidnapped my passport and held me hostage, forced me to pay rent, and extorted money from me. Human GARBAGE!

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=115513&highlight=echo

Frank

Thanks for letting us know
hooplehead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe this thread. A barely literate Chinese food delivery guy in the countryside makes about 5000.
enterthedragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at an intl sch and 5000 is what the chinese teachers get. Some get a little more like 8000 if they have some responsibility. I am on 5 x this salary however after tax. So in my opinion this is a lowball salary which only chinese locals could live on. About getting privates as someone said, they are almost impossible to get as no one knows you, where you live, people in china generally can not speak any english so how can you ask people for privates when they dont understand etc. I would say 15k plus free accommodation should be the minimum anyone teaching English in china should be getting. Look at the cost of getting a visa in the first place plus the flight to china. It's very expensive to come here. SO dont take it is my opinion on the ground.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most SAFEA packages include airfares.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: