Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ICEAT information needed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ayatollah

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: legality Reply with quote

Quote:
There's no legit reason for the employer to keep anyone's passport without his/her permission.
In KSA there's "legality" and "reality". Your employers will do whatever they want. It's still a Master & Servant society. Once your there you're theirs, especially at language schools/centres. And don't rely on your embassy for help. In Riyadh, they get loads of calls from bewildered teachers.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ayatollah wrote:
Quote:
There's no legit reason for the employer to keep anyone's passport without his/her permission.

Your employers will do whatever they want. It's still a Master & Servant society. Once your there you're theirs, especially at language schools/centres.

As always, job seekers need to be proactive and research prospective employers before signing on the dotted line.

Anyway, so far no one has stated that ICEAT currently withholds teachers' passports once their resident IDs have been issued.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nor has anyone said they release them. From my experience, assuming that they do until told otherwise is the wisest course of action.

ICEAT (and other contractors like mine) will tell you anything you want to hear before you get to the Kingdom. You have no way of proving it's true, even if you read it here because contracted staff can and do get treated differently in any case. My contractor (Al Hoty) released my passport to me only when the British embassy got involved. My Filipino colleagues were not able to resort to the same tactic.

Granted, this was three years ago, but I'd be surprised if my contractor, which is reputed to be one of the fairest, had changed its policy to automatically release passports to all if its staff once the iqamas are issued, particularly during the 90-day probation period.
Arenta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience there is a strong tendency for employers to want to keep hold of passports even after the Iqama has been issued. I was warned about this by people I worked with and advised to ask for my passport back as it was illegal for the employer to keep hold of it. I did this and didn't face any resistance but was asked why I was asking for it back. The fact that I was asked for a reason seemed odd in itself. I just answered that it was the property of my country's government and I would be held responsible if it went missing.

If you are on an Iqama you need permission to leave the country so it makes no sense why the employer wants to keep it. But they do. On a business visit visa you don't need this permission. I agree that it's safer to assume the employer will want to keep your passport until you find out otherwise.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just confirmed from a Filipino friend that last year Al Hoty emailed all those whose passports they still held and asked them to sign a waiver if they wanted to collect their passport and keep it themselves. He has his passport.

I wonder how many other firms have done this... and no one connected with ICEAT can confirm whether or not passports are retained?
Arenta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd since you can't leave the country without permission !
sicklyman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you can get a multi-entry and leave any day you want while that's valid. That's the risk contracting companies are trying to minimise.
niti team leader

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Al hasa Reply with quote

We have so many ex ksu teachers at niti - it is worrying.

More coming daily with many more leaving ...
Makkah

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is is it worrying that ex KSU staff are coming to NITI?
Nobody will care or even worry when you leave ...or even when I leave. Life will just carry on and you will be replaced, I will be replaced and everybody will forget who you were or I was and what you or I did. Really simple.
Makkah

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had to surrender my passport. Equally, many of my colleagues have never had too either. Though, going back about 3 years there was one contractor requesting a financial guarantee for a mutiple exit visa.
LyricalGyal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same! I don't know when these other people worked for ICEAT, but they NEVER even took it for the iqama. They just made a color copy and gave it back to us. The same applied for me and other teachers at my university who worked for them.

As others stated, it's actually illegal for employers to hold your passport.

And once you apply for the multi-exit/entry visa you can leave the country whenever you want. I never had to tell them when I was leaving or returning. They also didn't care, as long as I was at work when I was supposed to be.

I worked for ICEAT up until September 2016.

Makkah wrote:
I have never had to surrender my passport. Equally, many of my colleagues have never had too either. Though, going back about 3 years there was one contractor requesting a financial guarantee for a mutiple exit visa.
aseanteacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: ICEAT Reply with quote

I am being offered a position there and it worries me that the salaries have come down. I am getting mixed reviews on this company. Sigh.

Living conditions at KSU?
hash

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: ICEAT Reply with quote

aseanteacher wrote:
I am being offered a position there and it worries me that the salaries have come down. I am getting mixed reviews on this company. Sigh. Living conditions at KSU?

You simply have to face the fact that you're at least "10 years too late" for the big bucks in KSA. It's just not what it used to be and it isn't going to change for the better ever again. The dynamics have shifted and morphed too drastically for that to happen.

Living conditions at KSU? That's like asking what are the living conditions in KSA. The question is too general. They're probably "tolerable", but that's about it. (By the way, KSU is not a "company"....it's a university, right?)

If you need the job, take it. But it's not going to be the money-making Shangri-La that it was for a couple of decades in the past.

depechemodefan1966

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just before Christmas I saw an advert for a teacher at the King Saud University, through ICEAT. I sent my CV and got a response outlining the terms and conditions - 10,000 SAR a month, free housing and transportation. I was asked to send my credentials and a scan of my passport, which I did.

I was then told I would have an interview on the 28th December between 4 and 6 pm, Saudi time and could I connect ICEAT to my Skype contacts. Again, I did this. A guy from ICEAT phoned me this afternoon to remind me of the interview.

Anyway I had the 'interview' from the offices at ICEAT with two people from KSU, a British lady and her Arabian colleague. They asked me a few questions and that was it. The whole thing took 17 minutes.

A few minutes later the guy from ICEAT Skyped me to say that I had been accepted and he would send me the contract either later today (Thursday, 28th) or early tomorrow, so I will keep you posted on that, Guys.

To be honest, I am a bit sceptical given the short time that everything took. One 17 minute interview and after 2 minutes I am accepted??? It seems to me, all I had to was show up on Skype and BAM! I've got a great job.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depechemodefan1966 wrote:
To be honest, I am a bit sceptical given the short time that everything took. One 17 minute interview and after 2 minutes I am accepted??? It seems to me, all I had to was show up on Skype and BAM! I've got a great job.

At least you got an interview; some companies forego that step.

You apparently met their minimum requirement, which was enough to get hired. I suspect the interview was short because 1) they need teachers asap, and/or 2) they have a lot of applicants to interview. (KSU is the largest uni in the kingdom with over 50,000 students.)

BTW, I don't know about it being a "great" job. Keep your expectations low (i.e., realistic).
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: