Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Student numbers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ayatollah

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Student numbers Reply with quote

Don't know whether this link has been posted before, but it's worth a read
http://www.universityworldnews.com/article.php?story=2017031412534470

These could include Tabuk, Medina, Khamis Mushait, Arar, Uniazah & Zulfi. Many schools and colleges in a sad state of disrepair have already been slated.

If you are contracted by Al Khaleej, WinTec or Interlink, make sure you know where you'll be teaching. In many cases the location changed when the teacher, Center Manager, HoD ... hit the ground.
desert_traveller

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a relief it must be to all those non-saudi students at american universities
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The author wrote:
The minister pointed out that the move [to cut admissions] would mainly affect the humanities and social sciences in keeping with the 2030 Saudi Vision. Figures show that 94% of high school graduates go on to study at the university level, with many of them majoring in theoretical and social sciences.

According to the article, the ministry expects to divert that money to Saudi technical and vocational training as a way to get more high school graduates into fields that meet the country's labor market demands.
hash

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The author wrote:
Figures show that 94% of high school graduates go on to study at the university level...
Pure fantasy. That would mean KSA outstrips and outranks EVERY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD in numbers of high school graduates heading for a tertiary education, a totally laughable proposition. If this is the foundational axiom underpining these "reports", you can imagine the validity of such reports. It's "Lewis Carroll" gone berserk.

nomad soul wrote:
...as a way to get more high school graduates into fields that meet the country's labor market demands.
Really? One wonders which "fields" are being discussed. What exactly are the "labor market demands"? I've never actually seen a list of these hot to trot "fields". Have you? Has anyone?

Do they mean things like construction ? How 'bout pipe fitter, fork-lift operator, warehouseman, material handler, printing press operator, tool and die operator, machinist, electrician. plumber, carpenter and on and on?? Or the slightly better "automotive technician" (you still get dirty despite the "technician" term), medical technician, electronic technician (fixes computers), website developer etc?

Because if this is the type of "field" being discussed, they're whistling dixie. There's no way any of the shebaab would consider a "career" in any of these fields. Completely out of the question. They'd rather go back to a nomadic, pastoral way of life than do that. Unless, of course, they get paid something like SAR 15,000/ month to train and stay in the field. And if they do that......

That's the real issue.....and that's precisely what you don't ever read about in any article or "report".

Last edited by hash on Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would beg to differ. I often hear this idea from old timers that KSA and its people will never change and that they would prefer to go back to living in tents. I think some big changes are coming and that the people are ready for them. Remember, half of the population are under 30. I now see Saudis serving me in the supermarket and one popped up out of the Pizza Hut kitchen the other day..

The Crown Prince is really shifting the debate on what is possible:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VC66tTbmgxc
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shebaab Laughing Where do they find shebaab to competently operate and maintain their planes?
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aviation maintenance people are mainly Filipino, with a few Europeans. How do I know ? I used to work for Saudi Arabian Airlines !
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: saudis doing work? huh? Reply with quote

Yes....I think airplane mechanic would be an excellent job for a young Saudi.

Razz Razz Razz

Yes...it's time for the Saudis to step up and start doing their fair share. Thank goodness I am not there any longer...so I don't have to witness first hand the careful, thoughtful, and thorough way that they attend to all of their work duties.

I should say that there are exceptions and of course there are exceptional Saudis that do not fit the stereotypical attitude of "Me first. You never" that I saw so often during my time in KSA. Their new plan targeted for 2030 will require them to do more and to be accountable. A welcome change from my viewpoint.
2buckets

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Lockheed's C-130 program, all he mechanics were American. All C-130s always flew with an American or British pilot or co-pilot.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saudi Arabian Airlines had a large number of Saudi pilots in my time there (1996-2002) Recruiting Saudi mechanics was more difficult. Apparently being a 747 pilot is quite prestigious. Wielding a spanner in the technical side is not.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note...

Quote:
Government assistance [university scholarship program] was “stopped for a short period to be evaluated, according to officials. But the suspension has been going on for more than two years.”

The scholarship program started in 2010 under the late King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz Al Saud. The Council of Ministers decided then that the state would pay the tuition for 50 percent of the students admitted to private universities and colleges in the kingdom for the next five years. After that period, the program was to be reviewed by the Ministry of Higher Education and the Ministry of Finance.

In 2015, the government decided to suspend the program to review the results, with promises to resume the grants shortly. But so far, the program has not been reactivated. The suspension affected not only new students, but also those who had received scholarships and were still in school. This left many students facing financial problems.

Source: https://www.al-fanarmedia.org/2018/02/saudi-cuts-student-aid-leave-struggling/
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also related;
Quote:
Multiple shopkeepers in Tiba and another Riyadh gold souk visited by AFP are struggling to recruit nationals amid what they call a misplaced sense of entitlement.....“This is killing our business,” another jewellery shop owner said, showing AFP a pile of resumes of recruited Saudis. The best among them, he said, lasted only two days.

Source http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/saudi-arabia/saudisation-spells-salesmen-scarcity-at-souq-1.2192199
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: