Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Libya: Positions at Oil and Gas Facility ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Libya: Positions at Oil and Gas Facility ? Reply with quote

Can anyone give me some idea about what it is like to teach English at an oil and gas facility in Libya ?

What sort of conditions can I expect ?

They say everything is provided for me but it involves working every day with 4 weeks break after I work every 8 weeks. Is that standard for this kind of job ?

I am aware of the security situation in the country, btw

Thanks
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six weeks on and six weeks off is a better deal for somewhere like Libya. Good luck.
lars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Currentaffairs

Thanks for your input. Mmmm, I think so, too. Eight weeks is a long time especially when it's 7-day week. I may turn it down depending on what other input I get from those experienced in these sorts of gigs.

Pay is pretty reasonable though.

Cheers Smile
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: my 10 cents Reply with quote

I worked in Libya for 10 years. I left in 2014 when people threatened to kill me and my colleagues at an oil company compound/complex.

OK-where to start with this?

1.) It's a bloody dangerous place with a very high risk of kidnap.
2.) The money they offered you is shockingly bad.
3.) The rotation offered to you (mine was 6 and 3) is way too long. Any time over a month in Libya and you start getting frazzled. There is nothing to do there. 8 and 4 is a piss take. Maybe this is Mellitah Gas near Zawia.
4.) Living on an oil facility. I lived on 6 different ones in Libya. Most of them have very limited internet, a weights room full of broken, unsafe equipment and a pool with no water in it. Take a Kindle and a good pair of running shoes , but don't run off the camp.
5.) I'm not sure you do know about the security situation. Tripoli is run by militias and the situation is really really complex. What I did notice after 2014 was that suddenly people didn't like 'ajnabee' (foreigners) any more. Also, there were more women about in full niqab and more men with long beards.

Last edited by dragonpiwo on Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
lars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Dragonpiwo

Thanks for your reply. Like you say, I have come to the conclusion that it is not worth the hassle. Shame really. If only they could stop 'bickering'.

Thanks for your input all the same.

A.Larsen
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave's Cafe has saved another life..
spanglish

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: my 10 cents Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
I worked in Libya for 10 years. I left in 2014 when people threatened to kill me and my colleagues at an oil company compound/complex.

OK-where to start with this?

1.) It's a bloody dangerous place with a very high risk of kidnap.
2.) The money is shockingly bad.
3.) The rotation (mine was 6 and 3) is way to long. Any time over a month in Libya and you start getting frazzled. There is nothing to do there. 8 and 4 is a piss take. Maybe this is Mellitah Gas near Zawia.
4.) Living on an oil facility. I lived on 6 different ones in Libya. Most of them have very limited internet, a weights room full of broken, unsafe equipment and a pool with no water in it. Take a Kindle and a good pair of running shoes , but don't run off the camp.
5.) I'm not sure you do know about the security situation. Tripoli is run by militias and the situation is really really complex. What I did notice after 2014 was that suddenly people didn't like 'ajnabee' (foreigners) any more. Also, there were more women about in full niqab and more men with long beards.

All true. If you're not a diplomat or soldier acting in official capacity, you really shouldn't be there (hint: most western diplomats still haven't returned).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: