Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salary expectations vs. reality
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Makkah

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=]"In the heat of the moment"]"9500 SAR ($2500) monthly basic salary" [quote]

Wow that's low! Some months I make almost that amount online, depending on the project etc. That's on top of my Saudi salary in the big blue chip.
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you don't seem to understand....

They don't care.

They have never really understood what good teaching is all about, nor have they ever cared to figure it out. That is why bad teachers have been able to stick it out in KSA for as long as they have.

They only care about titles, and meaningless qualifications. Again, some of the worst teachers end up making a career out of TEFL in KSA.

When there is no understanding of what good teaching is, let alone any kind of work, then the decision to pay a fair wage is meaningless to them.

Why would they continue to overpay teachers when they can get any 'shmo' to come in and flip through pages and pretend to know how to teach simply because he or she can speak English.

Quality of teachers and the level of learning will go down....but....

They don't care.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BajaLaJaula wrote:
They don't care.

They have never really understood what good teaching is all about, nor have they ever cared to figure it out. That is why bad teachers have been able to stick it out in KSA for as long as they have.

They only care about titles, and meaningless qualifications.
Quality of teachers and the level of learning will go down....but....

They don't care.

Who's the "they" that you're referring to? Confused
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking they are....

Chief, Manager, Head of Department (fill in the blank with whatever meaningless title you like) of Language Institute or College of Higher Learning Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Usually...
A Saudi, or other nationality, unqualified manager making hiring and firing decisions for schools in KSA.

In my experience...and forgive me if it is not the common experience for TEFLers in KSA.... They hire the cheapest candidate or some shmoo with seemingly good credentials after a 5 minute interview that in no way determines whether or not the candidate is actually a good teacher or not.
Most of the interview questions go like this....

How are you?
Do you like Saudi Arabia?
Do you a wife or children?
When can you start?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BajaLaJaula wrote:
In my experience...and forgive me if it is not the common experience for TEFLers in KSA.... They hire the cheapest candidate or some shmoo with seemingly good credentials after a 5 minute interview that in no way determines whether or not the candidate is actually a good teacher or not.

If that's your personal experience, it sounds like you need to start being picky about which employer you apply to work for... regardless of the country. A quickie interview is a major red flag -- ditto for recruiters/hiring managers who send applicants a contract without an interview.

Anyway, I'm not sure how this relates to the topic of salary expectations vs reality... Confused
sicklyman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Anyway, I'm not sure how this relates to the topic of salary expectations vs reality... Confused

He said it in his previous post nomad:

BajaLaJaula wrote:
When there is no understanding of what good teaching is, let alone any kind of work, then the decision to pay a fair wage is meaningless to them.
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked for 4 different employers in KSA....Some better than others, but my experience is just that...mine. I share it along with others on this forum to help newbies in their process of making decisions about whether or not to work in Saudi Arabia.

I am not venting....if I were.....my post would be strewn with profanity. Others have had assuredly had different experiences than I have. Theirs may have been better or possibly worse. I worked for US and Saudi companies...some of the top tier employers, and yet there was still a tremendous amount of chaos, confusion, ineptitude, and deceit displayed by them all.

I share these observations in order to help make the contrast between what it was like to work in KSA as opposed to USA. By making this contrast I am trying to illuminate would-be job seekers to what they might experience when working in the Magic Sandbox.

Since the SALARY EXPECTATIONS are no longer what they were back when I was working there......IN MY HUMBLE OPINION....don't go unless you are either 1. desperate for a little bit of money, 2. desperate to learn about religion, or 3. a masochist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: