Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MA in TESOl from AUC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The song wrote:
Bringig this topic back from the dead. I am Egyptian-Canadian, and this program caught my attention. Has anyone tried working with this degree outside or egypt or the middle east? How much recognition does this have internationally? My guess is not very much.

It is just fine in Canada!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The song wrote:
That might have come off the wrong way so I apologize. I understand it is an accredited degree, but it may be harder to market to employers who may not understand accreditation and just look at the name, see it is from Egypt and move on to another candidate (Or in the case of dual citizens applying to Arab universities and schools, give them a job offer with an Egyptian salary and benefits). I suppose it comes down to explaining that it is accredited in the US. I couldnt find on their website how long the actual program is so I refrained from sending them an E-mail until I was more serious about it.

That is a good point. Were you born in Canada and/or lived there since childhood so that you can easily claim native speaker status? If you can claim native speaker status and have a Canadian passport, it shouldn't be an issue. I know Egyptians with Egyptian passports who teach around the Middle East with MA from AUC and they get paid the same level as I would be paid. But you have to make sure that your application is very clear about your status.

The MA Fellowship program lasts two years including the summer in between. Good idea to get a CELTA and teach a couple years in Colombia to test the waters. Then look into applying for the AUC fellowship. Just remember that you need to apply late in the preceding year to start in August. Check back here to see if there have been any updates concerning the program.

VS
The song

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These responses have been helpful ao i want to say thank you once again.

Vs: That is good to hear about Egyptians in the ME. Im a native speaker, and i have experience in korea for almost 2 years.

Do you have any idea about gettin funded for it? Of course, once I use a chunk of my Korea savings on a CELTA and settling into colombia, i will have trouble keeping up with tuiton at AUC. Applying as an Egyptian national could ease things but that means i have to get a military exemption as i am 25 and did not serve....and thats a whole other story all together.

Nomad: Location does matter. I can imagine Korean parents getting in a fuss about their childrens teacher having a degree from Egypt, even if it is acreddited by the US. Judging by this topic, it seems as good as any degree from the US as far as the ME and Canada/USA go. But im interested in other countries also.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The song wrote:
Do you have any idea about gettin funded for it? Of course, once I use a chunk of my Korea savings on a CELTA and settling into colombia, i will have trouble keeping up with tuiton at AUC. Applying as an Egyptian national could ease things but that means i have to get a military exemption as i am 25 and did not serve....and thats a whole other story all together.

You definitely don't want to have to serve in the military there.

If you can apply for and get the Fellowship, the tuition is zero and you get a monthly stipend. There is a small housing allowance if you choose not to live in the dorms (you do get a private room... or did when I was there... but the idea of living with a bunch of adolescent Gulf girls didn't appeal). I actually ended up spending all of my stipend and housing allowance to rent an acceptable flat. (still no AC or hot water in the kitchen, but in a nice neighborhood with decent furniture and lovely landlords) The first year I brought in enough cash to cover taxis, textbooks, and food. The second year I had enough private lessons to cover all that and more.

You pay the tuition by teaching about 7 hours a week.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The song wrote:
Nomad: Location does matter. I can imagine Korean parents getting in a fuss about their childrens teacher having a degree from Egypt, even if it is acreddited by the US. Judging by this topic, it seems as good as any degree from the US as far as the ME and Canada/USA go. But im interested in other countries also.

No, the degree is from the "American University in Cairo" versus "Egypt." I think you're the one who's too focused on the fact that AUC is located in Cairo, so definitely take time to learn about it and its academic programs. I suggest you also take a look at "MAs from non-Anglophone countries or universities" (http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=110748). But if the university's location is too unsettling for you, then look at programs in your home country.

By the way, an MA in TESOL is typically geared for teaching adult university students. But if you plan to only teach children in Asia, a BA is sufficient.
patriciamrozek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: auc fellowship Reply with quote

It's been a while since anyone has posted on this topic but I figured I'd give it a shot.

Anybody that got the fellowship at AUC happen to remember when it was awarded? I'm applying for a different graduate assistantship and I'm afraid I'll hear about the other one before I hear about AUC (where I'm really interested in going!)

Thanks
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The year of mine, they were awarded just before the TESOL Convention in the US. That is late March or early April.

So if you have applied for this year, you should hear within the next month or so. If you are still in the US, you could give their NYC office a call and ask if they know when the offers will be sent out. The decision is made in Cairo.

VS
patriciamrozek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks VS. yep, for this fall. So I'm assuming you heard about whether you got into the masters before hearing about the fellowship?
I'm just getting so darn anxious! Might call the NYC office. Thanks for the tip.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only applied for a Fellowship. There was no separate application for the MA. At the time I was taking courses part-time at George Mason in VA.

Good Luck...

VS
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New posting on Dave's International Jobs Board by the American University in Cairo:

Master of Arts in TESOL - Teaching Fellowships - Cairo, Egypt
http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=45381

veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first time that I've seen an ad for this Fellowship. It has been around for lots of years now. Since at least the 70s...

One of the members of this board just started this program this academic year. He is enjoying it so far. Cool

VS
The song

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey V_S,

I got on the shortlist for the fellowship.

Should I prepare for the interview in any particular way? Did you do an interview when you got into the program?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations... so far so good. Back in Neolithic Times when I got the Fellowship, it was 1985 and pre-internet. So there were no interviews. They went by your credentials and an essay, that I mailed to them through the New York office.

But it turned out that I did get an interview of sorts. TESOL was in NYC that year and I attended just to do some networking. I met lots of AUC people who were giving presentations. The last day of the conference, I learned that I was the first alternate and that I should know within the month if anyone turned it down. I heard back in less than a week that I had been added to the list. One of the individuals that I spoke with at length actually ran a department at AUC that worked with local businesses creating classes for their employees. He was impressed by my business background.

So, you just never know what will click with an interviewer. My actually classroom teaching background was limited, but it was my other life experience that got me in.

You mentioned that you are an Egyptian Canadian and have dual passports? I'm assuming that you applied as a Canadian? I would expect this to come up in the interview and just be honest. You don't want it to come back and bite you. I would expect that this has come up for them in the past and they probably have a policy for those that might have dual citizenship.
The song

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, I got accepted for the MA Tesol program!

Their official policy is that the 'passport you applied with is the one you will be admitted with'. This is important because Egyptians pay half the tuition that foreigners do. I don't have Egyptian documents though, so I will be there on a student visa in my Canadian passport (and pay tuition as a foreigner).

In the interview, they didn't ask about my background, and I never indicated it at any point in the online application. The panel was professional and welcoming in general, 2 Egyptian women, one Egyptian man and one American woman. They were more interested in my teaching background.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I missed this post...

So, you didn't get the Fellowship? And have to pay? That's a bummer...

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: