Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TATI
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
balancedsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's clearly for a corporate client in the oil and gas sector. Someone left and they're trying to fill the gap until the end of their contract with a non-native speaker who can do technical training as well.
Arenta

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see TATI have been advertising "urgent" vacancies at colleges in Oman but no salary was given or info on the type of colleges.

On the subject of getting degrees recognized in Oman, I was contacted by an agency back in July this year, who I'd never heard of, asking if I was interested in a position in a college in Oman. The pay was similar to what others here have said. The interview was set up by phone which lasted no less than two hours and conducted by two people! Really, the longest interview in my life !

Around 2 weeks later I was told by the agency that I'd passed the interview and arrangements would be made for the visa. More time went by until I was told by the agency they were having problems getting the MoM to accept that my degrees were genuine. I was not asked to have them attested or legalized at that point. I sent the transcripts thinking this would be enough because I imagine it would be pretty difficult to fake actual transcripts. Even more time went by when the agent asked if I could have them legalized so I sent them the legalized copies from a previous job in Saudi explaining the reason why they were already legalized. This brought things up to late October and since then I've heard nothing from them. I couldn't face contacting the agent again after sending all the stuff to them and so never found out whether the agent was just slow or if it was an MoM thing.

I can understand the necessity of verifying degrees but what with agencies plus the bureaucracy and costs involved (to have docs legalized in the first place if you haven't already) , it looks increasingly not worth the hassle involved.
balancedsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arenta,

Sounds like a frustrating experience for you. I'll start with the urgent vacancies. As far as I know, TATI's only college contracts are with MoM and the salary is still RO1385. MoM doesn't want people to resign at times when it'll be difficult to hire replacements, so it's financially unattractive to leave at any time except the end of first semester or of the academic year. This is the end-of-first-semester wave.

FYI, the semester finishes on 28 Dec and we are back on 6 Jan. Teaching will start one or two weeks later, depending on the college and course.

From what I've experienced and heard, TATI seems to get a labour clearance through in a couple of weeks in most cases, then the visa within another week. However, there have been long delays at certain times in the past, due to changes in procedures, documentation or who knows what. Sometimes it has taken months. Hopefully those days are over, but you never know . . .

Regarding your previous experience, I can only sympathise. A two-person interview is par for the course and you could laud them for being thorough in taking such a long time. It suggests they were taking things seriously, so I probably would have broken the rules and contacted the college directly at some stage. If you PM me with a bit more info, I can give my personal guess as to what might have happened.

Don't give up. Give it a go. I've been very pleasantly surprised by the new intake of students this semester.

P.S. Please note that there is a public holiday until 5 Dec, so no-one will get back to you until after that.
Arenta

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't actually have any other info than that mentioned. It's good to know that some recruiters can get visas arranged quickly. Thanks for the info on the rest of the stuff.
madrileno

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Oh Man TATI has offered the same salary package for at least a decade.....no raises....do not have any hope or expectations that things will change.....except that there will ALWAYS be a POOL full of FOOL EFL teachers willing to work for minimum wages in Oh Mannnnn!

There hasn't been a raise from any of the MoM recruiters for the past 6 years. None are expected ever again with the declining oil revenues.

Expect the number of advertised positions to continue dwindling over the next couple of years, as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: