Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this a raw deal for Paris?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paris teacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Is this a raw deal for Paris? Reply with quote

I currently work for a language school in Paris where I have been employed for over three years now. I have a permanent contract, but my salary has remained the exact same since I started (20 euros per hour). The problem is my rent eats up about 60% of my net salary overall.

The other problem is that the school has me travelling all over Paris and there is no compensation for travel time, nor do we get Tickets Restaurants as some schools provide.

I am just getting by earning survival wages and I am starting to suffer from burnout.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably head to the Middle East to make some money. Korea, Japan or China also options depending on your preferences and the jobs you can get.. Many places in Europe pay really low wages unless you are well qualified and have the connections.
Paris teacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current Affairs,
Yes, I am seriously considering Saudi Arabia for next year. I do love Paris, but think it too tough to get by as a single English teacher here. A married couple teaching English could do it, but on one's own, one just get by.

I have been teaching since 1997, have a B.A. in English literature, M.Ed. in post-secondary TESOL, a second B.A. in Spanish, and my M.A. in Spanish literature.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a raw deal for Paris? Reply with quote

Paris teacher wrote:
My salary has remained the exact same since I started (20 euros per hour). The problem is my rent eats up about 60% of my net salary overall.

The other problem is that the school has me travelling all over Paris and there is no compensation for travel time, nor do we get Tickets Restaurants as some schools provide.

What about downsizing and renting a room in a shared space/home? It's not ideal, but it could help you financially in the meantime.
riverboat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you asked for more money? I think that based on the fact you are experienced and know what you're doing you could ask for a bit more.

However I don't think anyone's ever going to earn big bucks in Paris. People who I know who are doing the best work mostly outside language schools, and do a mix of private teaching and CDD part time gigs at universities, grands ecoles and companies. But you have to be super organised and willing to put in a lot of hours to make that work, I think.

To be honest I have a cushy gig in Paris (full time CDI) but even I am sick of the total lack of career progression opportunities now. I'm retraining completely next year and changing professions. I think there's only so long you can be an English teacher in Paris unless you really love the work and are totally unmotivated by money.
danshengou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riverboat, where would you recommend working in Paris or France for that matter?

Btw, I also tried to PM you, but the message just stays in my outbox.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMs remain in your outbox until opened by the recipient, I think.
danshengou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a bit of inspection, that does seem to be the case, thanks!
enterthedragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tax is also high in Paris/France isn't it? One gig a long time ago at WSE was paying 1500 euros a month gross but when I checked the NET salary it was only around 1100 Euros. And sharing a flat in Paris is not cheap. It was around 500 euros a month just to rent a room in a flat. so i didn't bother in the end.

I think as someone says, people earn money in Paris freelance doing 10 hours here and 10 hours there but @ 60 euros per hour (NOT 20). sometimes you have to wait to get paid too I believe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: