Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I bring my family with me when I teach?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcus.hammer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Can I bring my family with me when I teach? Reply with quote

I am a native English speaker with a bachelor's degree from an American university and a master's degree from a German university. While in Germany I taught business English.

I would love to teach English abroad, but I have a wife and four kids. Can this be done? Does anyone have experience with taking contracts and bringing the family? In what countries would this be easiest to do?

Thanks in advance,

Marcus
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my family with me on one of my contracts in Saudi Arabia. This is no longer as common as it was.

Terms and conditions are materially much worse than they were.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't provide info about your degree major(s) and years of experience. But generally, a master's degree from a German university isn't likely to boost your qualifications for a TEFL position. Regardless, unless you have some highly desirable skill set or your wife expects to eventually work as well, you'll find it hard to earn enough for a family of six.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Can I bring my family with me when I teach? Reply with quote

marcus.hammer wrote:
I am a native English speaker with a bachelor's degree from an American university and a master's degree from a German university. While in Germany I taught business English.

I would love to teach English abroad, but I have a wife and four kids. Can this be done? Does anyone have experience with taking contracts and bringing the family? In what countries would this be easiest to do?

Thanks in advance,

Marcus

Can you do it... legally, yes. In most countries if you have a proper work visa/permits you can bring your dependent family.

Can you do it ... in practical terms... maybe, maybe not.

While the costs of living are much lower in many places on the globe the earning potential is also lower and having unrelated degrees won't help much.
IF you were a State Certified Teacher then it is a different story (top international schools will often pay assist with family and cover tuition as well as help with relocation costs) but as a TEFL teacher ... it will be very hard to do in practical terms and employers won't help.

In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have five other opinions to your own. You might be happy overseas and away from extended family, friends, home comforts, English speakers, and the rest but if one of your brood is miserable it isn't going to take long for you all to be miserable.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that this is a terrible idea unless you can secure an international school type position with high pay, decent accommodation and subsidised education for your kids. Raising children can be very expensive unless you are willing to put them through the local education system.
marcus.hammer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Reply with quote

Much appreciated!

Thanks for all the answers. I had my doubts, but I wanted to hear from experienced people. I do appreciate it.

My degrees are a Bachelor's of Arts in History and a Masters in European Studies.

The only other viable skill that I have is web design. So maybe I should concentrate on this instead of trying to make a living teaching.

Have a great week!!

Marcus
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main issue, at least in my view, is education for the kids. In many countries, that can be quite expensive, unless your kids speak the local language. As someone else mentioned, an international school gig would fix that issue. I'm unsure that your particular qualifications would help you get an international school job; hiring at such schools can be quite competitive.
You mention that you have skills as a web designer. Perhaps you could teach EFL in another country while doing web design work on the side; in a low-cost country I could see that affording a pretty decent living.
marcus.hammer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpvanderwerf2001 wrote:
The main issue, at least in my view, is education for the kids. In many countries, that can be quite expensive, unless your kids speak the local language. As someone else mentioned, an international school gig would fix that issue. I'm unsure that your particular qualifications would help you get an international school job; hiring at such schools can be quite competitive.
You mention that you have skills as a web designer. Perhaps you could teach EFL in another country while doing web design work on the side; in a low-cost country I could see that affording a pretty decent living.

We have been homeschooling the kids for the last 2 years. Do you know if this can be done in other countries? I know that in Germany it is mandatory that all children attend a public or certified private school. If we did not have this problem, we would continue to homeschool.

What other certificates would you recommend picking up before heading overseas?

Thanks!!
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be willing to bet that many expats homeschool their kids, especially if one of the spouses doesn't work. I would guess each country has its own laws, though I wonder how many governments (especially in developing countries) check on expats' kids' educational progress.
Regarding certificates: If you plan to do this "long term," then I would recommend getting teaching licensure in your home country. The most attractive international school jobs usually require one.
However, if you're going the EFL route (basically just language schools), then a CELTA would be a good idea.
Another option is teaching in universities. They usually don't pay well in developing countries, but my experience has shown me that they will often hire any native speaker they can get their hands on. (Again, this wouldn't be applicable in a country such as Germany, of course. I'm thinking more former Soviet and certain Asian countries.)
Some other thoughts:
* Will your spouse be happy in a country where they might not know the language?
* If anyone in your family has health issues, how will you take care of those?
* Will you be able to get a working visa easily? (I wouldn't stay in a country illegally, and I definitely wouldn't do so with kids.)
I hope this all helps.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcus.hammer wrote:
My degrees are a Bachelor's of Arts in History and a Masters in European Studies.

The only other viable skill that I have is web design. So maybe I should concentrate on this instead of trying to make a living teaching.
We have been homeschooling the kids for the last 2 years. Do you know if this can be done in other countries?

If you're seriously considering TEFL, some things to keep in mind:

• Get a CELTA, SIT TESOL, or Trinity CertTESOL.
• You'll need to budget for an emergency fund, health insurance, and start up costs (e.g., visa costs, flights, ground transportation, food, lodging, etc.).
• Don't count on getting a web design job abroad with a foreign company. Get your web design job before heading overseas if you're going to do this on the side. It should be steady work that can be conducted remotely.

BTW, you've never mentioned countries or regions that are completely off your list -- those both you and your wife have decided are not places for your family to live in.
marcus.hammer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
marcus.hammer wrote:

We have been homeschooling the kids for the last 2 years. Do you know if this can be done in other countries?

If you're seriously considering TEFL, some things to keep in mind:

• Get a CELTA, SIT TESOL, or Trinity CertTESOL.
• You'll need to budget for an emergency fund, health insurance, and start up costs (e.g., visa costs, flights, ground transportation, food, lodging, etc.).
• Don't count on getting a web design job abroad with a foreign company. Get your web design job before heading overseas if you're going to do this on the side. It should be steady work that can be conducted remotely.

BTW, you've never mentioned countries or regions that are completely off your list -- those both you and your wife have decided are not places for your family to live in.

Thanks again for the information!

That does make sense, to get the web development contracts here and then work remotely. I am building and planning on that now.

A little nest egg also sounds like a good idea. If it were just me, I wouldn't be so concerned. It would just be one big adventure. However, having the responsibility of others on my shoulders, I can't make the same decisions I made when I was young. So, I will definitely save first.

The only regions off my list are ones that involve an ongoing military conflict - or the potential for one. Off the top of my head, I wouldn't feel safe in Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Somalia, Syria, Zimbabwe, Venezuela or South Korea. Other countries that I might also shy away from are Honduras, El Salvador and Turkey. I am sure there are others, but I would have to research this more first.

Have a great day!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcus.hammer wrote:
The only regions off my list are ones that involve an ongoing military conflict - or the potential for one. Off the top of my head, I wouldn't feel safe in Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Somalia, Syria, Zimbabwe, Venezuela or South Korea. Other countries that I might also shy away from are Honduras, El Salvador and Turkey. I am sure there are others, but I would have to research this more first.

Rather than the obvious above countries, focus on those that you and your wife are open to. For example, is she willing to live in conservative Saudi Arabia? Do visa runs in certain countries? Live in a country with a high cost of living? You get the picture.

Check out Suggestions for Job Seekers on Dave's. In fact, the newbie forum is a good place to start.

Last edited by nomad soul on Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total
yurii

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcus.hammer wrote:

Have a great day!

Are you sure you don't mean North Korea?
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be able to make it work in Latin America. In some countries like Mexico, homeschooling is technically illegal (as a violation of a child's right to attend school) but Mexico lacks the man power or will to prosecute things like that. So there are plenty of foreign "world school" families doing just that. If you are looking for encouragement, I suggest you avoid this forum and find a facebook group for families abroad, and find ways to make it work. You can get various income streams, some in person teaching, some online teaching, and some online web development work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: