Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Freelancing, Taxes, and Insurance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NuestroJuan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Freelancing, Taxes, and Insurance Reply with quote

Greetings,

I hope everyone has had a good, productive semester so far (That is, if you're on a semester system Very Happy ). My wife and I moved to Regensburg, Germany, in the region of Bavaria, in September. While my wife has a full-time position at a local university here, I am teaching freelance at the same institution. We're from the United States.

Since we arrived here, I have had the "accompanying spouse" status with regard to our residency permit and insurance. With insurance (Techniker Krankenkasse (TK)), I am allowed to maintain that "type" of coverage as long as my income remains at a certain level. That is, if my income is dreadfully low, I can maintain the status of an accompanying spouse. I do not have the exact figures on hand, but I'm basically allowed to make 400-something euros a month.

At the moment, that is not a big deal because I'm only teaching two classes at the university. However, between the end of this semester and the next, I'm scheduled to teach an intensive course for three hours a day (Or, in German academic hour terms, that would be six hours a day.) for just over a week. There's a chance that will put me over the mark.

I understand I'm not making a fortune here, but I want to play it safe, as well. With regard to freelance teaching, what do you all recommend? Work-wise, I see myself going in one of two directions: 1. Finding more substantial full or half-time employment with more benefits. Or 2. Adding to my freelance workload (at other places) and hopefully making it worth our while financially. If I take option 2, though, it seems that I will need to change my status from "accompanying spouse" to "freelancer". I understand also, though, that that changes things with regard to insurance and taxes. Does anyone have the figures for this? I find online information for these types of issues to be vague, outdated, or unhelpful.

If anyone could provide some information or recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you very much.

Juan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: