Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NET Scheme questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitsui

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now my ex-boss has been asked again about the Statement of Service and about my club experience. Well, I guess that is a good sign.
mitsui

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got an interview next month.
Two questions.
First, can the date be changed? I start work in Japan on the 9th of January.
Second, what is the written test like?
Thanks.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
Got an interview next month.
Two questions.
First, can the date be changed? I start work in Japan on the 9th of January.
Second, what is the written test like?
Thanks.

Best to ask someone who has been through the process relatively recently. Try sending the user 'Kowloon' a PM and he might be able to help.
bule_boy69

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmbf wrote:

Language centre work is rarely considered as 'proper' teaching experience. Work in a local school would definitely be looked upon more favourably.

Quite curious as to how a language centre position would have better salary and benefits than a position in a local school? Even if the salary were equivalent, normally language centre work involves more hours and much less time off.

Could you tell me where local schools advertise and when the peak hiring season is? My searches mostly turn up ads for language schools or the NET scheme.

Is it the case that they pretty much only hire people already in HK dya know?

Thanks!
Jmbf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bule_boy69 wrote:
Could you tell me where local schools advertise and when the peak hiring season is? My searches mostly turn up ads for language schools or the NET scheme.

Is it the case that they pretty much only hire people already in HK dya know?

Thanks!

As I mentioned in the other thread there is no 'one' best place to search so you have to search several sources. You can register with the most popular job websites such as Jobs DB, The Classified Post, Monster, CareerJet, CT Goodjobs etc etc. You can also join the various Facebook teaching groups, there are often vacancies posted up there. Various HK specific forums such as GeoExpat also often have a lot of teaching positions posted up regularly. Unfortunately (for you), many of the best jobs are not advertised widely at all but rather through word-of-mouth referrals. That is why it is important to develop a good network once you are here.

The best time to look for work in local schools is June - August although there will be occasional openings throughout the year due to teacher attrition.

Naturally if you are in HK you will have an advantage as you will be immediately available for an interview etc etc. However I wouldn't say that is a deal breaker.
bule_boy69

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmbf wrote:
As I mentioned in the other thread there is no 'one' best place to search so you have to search several sources. You can register with the most popular job websites such as Jobs DB, The Classified Post, Monster, CareerJet, CT Goodjobs etc etc. You can also join the various Facebook teaching groups, there are often vacancies posted up there. Various HK specific forums such as GeoExpat also often have a lot of teaching positions posted up regularly. Unfortunately (for you), many of the best jobs are not advertised widely at all but rather through word-of-mouth referrals. That is why it is important to develop a good network once you are here.

The best time to look for work in local schools is June - August although there will be occasional openings throughout the year due to teacher attrition.

Naturally if you are in HK you will have an advantage as you will be immediately available for an interview etc etc. However I wouldn't say that is a deal breaker.

Very useful info there. Thanks Jmbf!
metopia

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: A few more questions about NET Reply with quote

I want to join the NET scheme.

I have a BA in English Lit, a CELTA, and over 12 years' experience in ESL with around four of those in secondary schools.

Of the qualifications I lack, I decided to go for the teacher cert.

1. They ask for a PGDE. What is the difference between a PGDE and a PGCE?
2. Is there a preference for a cert from an institution in England over Scotland?
3. Will I need to complete my post-training probationary year before I will be considered?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
yurii

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: A few more questions about NET Reply with quote

metopia wrote:
I want to join the NET scheme.

I have a BA in English Lit, a CELTA, and over 12 years' experience in ESL with around four of those in secondary schools.

Of the qualifications I lack, I decided to go for the teacher cert.

1. They ask for a PGDE. What is the difference between a PGDE and a PGCE?
2. Is there a preference for a cert from an institution in England over Scotland?
3. Will I need to complete my post-training probationary year before I will be considered?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

1 It's just like aubergine vs eggplant. Same thing, different name! A PGCE is the term used in the UK and PGDE in HK (also if I'm not mistaken Scotland call it a PGDE too).

2 I don't see why it would make a difference if it's ESOL you want to teach. If you want to get into international schools a PGCE in England would be better (due to the curriculum).

3 Nope. But if it's a proper international school probably yes.

Btw, what do you want to do your PGCE in? English (for native speakers)?
metopia

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Initially, I found that PGDE was just the Scottish equivalent of England's PGCE.

Subsequently, other sources informed me that a PGDE in England is the step between the basic cert and the Masters.

I work in a secondary school in the UAE and I met someone who claims that he did the PGDE in England but I'm still a little confused by it - as you can tell!

Useful to know that HK considers those as the same.

2&3. I want to work in a public school in HK with the possibility of an international school later.

I would be doing a cert in English Lit. although I guess I would not be able to count my first year in an HK school as aprobationary year as I would be teaching ESOL.

In the long run, it seems like a more versatile choice and it doesn't look like there are any bursaries to do teaching cert in ESOL. I would like to hear your views on this.

Actually, I'd quite like to do a teaching cert, extend it into a Masters in Education, do a DELTA and use those credits toward an MA TESOL.

Perhaps a little overambitious!
metopia

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and thanks Yurii!
yurii

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metopia wrote:
1. Initially, I found that PGDE was just the Scottish equivalent of England's PGCE.

Subsequently, other sources informed me that a PGDE in England is the step between the basic cert and the Masters.

If that is the case then a British PGCE = PGDE in HK. As for a British PGDE I don't know if there is an equivalent. I can see now how it must be confusing! For instance, when I did my PGCE the assignments were all Master's levels and in fact if I decide to do an MA in Education I get 1/6 in credit points towards the MA. So, to be honest I don't understand what a step between the basic cert and the Master's means.

Do you mean bursaries in the UK for a PGCE? I know when I did it there were bursaries and since then they've been made even more generous, but only for shortage subjects and English is one of the most in demand subjects, so nope!

As for a PGCE in ESOL in the UK, I do remember once seeing one uni in London offering it. However, I think they're very rare and on top of that they asked for another language such as French or Spanish. HK offers a PGDE in ESOL of course. However, there are some problems doing the PGDE there as I see it:

1 Outside of HK it's not worth much (e.g. for international schools)
2 It's expensive
3 I heard the quality of teaching wasn't so good (the professors).

Essentially, if you want to teach English lit long-term and get into international schools it might be better to do the PGCE then NQT year and apply to international schools rather than go down the ESOL route. I don't think too many true international schools offer many ESOL positions.

Quote:

Actually, I'd quite like to do a teaching cert, extend it into a Masters in Education, do a DELTA and use those credits toward an MA TESOL.

I don't know if a DELTA at secondary school is useful. If I'm not mistaken a DELTA is more so designed for adult education.

Quote:
Perhaps a little overambitious!

Sounds a bit! You're welcome btw Very Happy
metopia

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cambridge has bursaries of up to 15000GBP for students taking the cert in English Lit. I don't think I'll be eligible for it due to time spent outside the country.

Therefore I would do the PGDE in Scotland. Only 1820 GBP if you are Scottish!

The DELTA or Trinity Diploma are the minimum EFL requirements for the SNET scheme. It is possible to get a job without this qualification but it would need to be a PGCE/PGDE.

So really if I'm going to try to do the SNET, I would need either a DELTA or a PGDE. A PGDE would put me much higher up the payscale as you can see from the link to the site.

If I do a PGDE it would have to be English Lit. I am trying to avoid staying in the UK for two years but yes it might be the only way...
yurii

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah sorry yes, when I did the PGCE I thought the bursaries were only for shortage subjects or maybe it was rather that the bursaries for the non-shortage subjects were quite small, considering the expenses you will incur: 9,000 GBP, no salary for a year, accommodation etc. When I was doing it for my subject they were offering 25k for people with a first class honours degree Shocked

metopia wrote:
Cambridge has bursaries of up to 15000GBP for students taking the cert in English Lit. I don't think I'll be eligible for it due to time spent outside the country.

What do you mean by Cambridge?? The bursaries if I'm not mistaken are not universities, but the UK government who are offering them. Why not ask them and see if you'd be eligible given your time away? They have an online chat service.

Quote:

Therefore I would do the PGDE in Scotland. Only 1820 GBP if you are Scottish!

How much for non-Scots?

Quote:
The DELTA or Trinity Diploma are the minimum EFL requirements for the SNET scheme. It is possible to get a job without this qualification but it would need to be a PGCE/PGDE.

I've never seen that requirement. Are you sure? I've just checked and see the following from the official site:
Quote:

Category 7 (to be appointed at GM rank, MPS pt. 15-33, with salary bar at MPS pt. 20)

a bachelor’s degree in any subject from a Hong Kong university or equivalent;
a master’s degree in TEFL/TESL, or equivalent; and
at least 1 year’s post-graduate experience of teaching English (preferably as a second or foreign language) at secondary level or above.

Who told you a DELTA = a master's degree? Or do they accept DELTA as "equivalent"? If you were to choose one definitely go for the PGDE/PGCE. If you don't have a PGCE the salary has a ceiling which means in theory if you got in and were there a decade the difference for the PGCE holder vs non-PGCE holder would be massive. The DELTA will not help here.

Quote:
If I do a PGDE it would have to be English Lit. I am trying to avoid staying in the UK for two years but yes it might be the only way...

I know the feeling. But, it all depends if you want to teach English Lit rather than TESOL. As stated above if you prefer TESOL you don't need to stay the two years. One thing to realise also is that a PGCE in English Lit in UK will be really competitive and the PGCE interviews can be pretty tough! I've never had a job interview as tough as my PGCE ones. Good luck!
metopia

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Yurii,

1.I should have said 'the bursaries I saw via the Cambridge website'.

Yeah - standard Gov. ones I guess.

2. For non-Scottish? Probably around the same cost as it would be in England: 9000GBP or so. (I am Scottish.)

Quote:
Category 6 (to be appointed at GM rank, MPS pt. 15-33, with salary bar at MPS pt. 20)

a bachelor’s degree in English Language or English Literature or English Studies or Linguistics# or a Modern Language# from a Hong Kong university or equivalent;
a TEFL/TESL qualification at least at the diploma level, or equivalent; and
at least 1 year’s post-graduate experience of teaching English (preferably as a second or foreign language) at secondary level or above.

4. The hardest interview? Yikes! Well forewarned is forearmed as they say. I'll continue my research...
yurii

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 You should check out this page and chat live explaining your situation to see if you are entitled to a bursary: https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/contact

But I think their whole bursary system is flawed. Let's say you get 20 or 25k, you still need to find the 9,000 GBP to pay the university as they pay the 25k in instalments. I found it quite stupid and inefficient; why don't they just take the 9,000 out of your bursary and pay the uni directly? Someone said oh you can take out a loan, but if you have enough to cover the PGCE from the bursary it's a bit silly to take out a loan. Anyway...

Btw, have you heard of School Direct? I was offered a place with a school in England and almost almost accepted. Basically some School Direct schemes aren't full PGCEs, but mine was. Essentially you stay with 1 school for your placement, rather than doing 2 equal length placements and this school has more of a say in things (with a regular PGCE it's the uni who has more control).

I liked the sound of this system, as I'm sure you know as a teacher, the longer you stay in a school the more respect you get/better relationship with the kids. The one I was offered was basically all the placement time in the same school except 4 weeks in which you were sent to a school in their network.

Not sure if you know how it works on a PGCE but generally unis send you on 2 placements and 1 school is a bit challenging and another more middle classy. And, in theory it could be a long commute away.

3. Oh sorry missed that, but still I think a CELTA would cover it. Though if you do want to get into adult education a DELTA is highly valued.

4. Yep, the interviews (at least the ones I did) were really mentally tiring and very intensive! I'm sure you're aware of this, but you might get asked why you're doing a PGCE if you've been abroad so long, so you might have to tell some porkie pies and make them believe you want to return to UK for the long-term!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: