Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie in Berlin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my best friends are German ! All of them citizens of the ex/GDR. I find "Wessis" a bit more difficult.

Last edited by scot47 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
twowheel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent time in both Germany and Austria and I must say I preferred the Austrians.

twowheel
maruss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: There is quite a difference between them! Reply with quote

The Bavarians have more in common with the Austrians in Salzburg and Tirol areas from my experience?But then the Viennese are another type altogether and think they are the aristocracy of Austria, especially after their city is repeatedly voted as one of the worlds best places for life quality!
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vienna - an Imperial City that lost its Empire, and its reason to exist, in 1918 !
twowheel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived and worked in three different locations in Lower Austria during my two-year sojourn in Österreich. The Lower Austrians were great folks.

I frequently went into Vienna and enjoyed my time in the capital. Luckily, I steered clear of the Viennese "aristocracy" and instead rubbed shoulders with the Viennese middle class--good people. I was also a member of a baseball club during those two years--the Vienna Lawnmowers, good times!

Haha, even the Lower Austrians were skeptical of the Viennese.

twowheel

Last edited by twowheel on Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
twowheel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Vienna - an Imperial City that lost its Empire, and its reason to exist, in 1918 !

Oh, oh, oh!

Cool

twowheel
maruss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Nice one Scot!! Reply with quote

I like it!
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Berlin's great for a vist and have been many times. Love the Christmas markets. However, Barcelona is way cooler. People try too hard in Berlin and the place is now awash with hipsters pretending to be poor and Boho. A few weeks ago, I was in an art cafe in East Berlin earwigging well-to-do Americans telling each other how much they were followers of Communism and Marx.
It totally ruined my coffee in a lovely setting (Friedrichshain Park). German's are also weird.
maruss

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: I will agree with you! Reply with quote

Berlin seems to be the place where anyone and everyone who thinks they are 'trendy', 'different' or just downright weird wants to be and the scene has become very distorted in recent years-costs have also increased considerably, especially for accomodation and finding a place to rent often requires a lot of patience and determination.
'Ostalgie' people who have a fascination with the former D.D.R.are often those who were too young to remember what it was really like to live in-or foreigners such as those you saw who could pick and choose to come and go if they were around in those days, unlike the locals.Having seen and experienced the darker side of what it was like for myself I find it hard to share their sympathies!
As for Barcelona, I was there only a week ago as my son lives there and won't deny that it's a place with something for everyone and therefore packed with tourists year round!But living there is another matter-prices are high and salaries generally low in comparison and it is crowded, noisy and polluted in many areas.A great place to visit, no doubt, just like Berlin and so different of course-but for living and working there are other issues to consider.
twowheel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Berlin's great for a vist and have been many times. Love the Christmas markets. However, Barcelona is way cooler. People try too hard in Berlin and the place is now awash with hipsters pretending to be poor and Boho. A few weeks ago, I was in an art cafe in East Berlin earwigging well-to-do Americans telling each other how much they were followers of Communism and Marx.
It totally ruined my coffee in a lovely setting (Friedrichshain Park). German's are also weird.

Hear, hear, that also would have ruined my coffee. Ugh.

I went back to Berlin for a visit in August 2016 after last visiting in May 2000. My visit was good, was all right, but certainly wasn't up near the top of the league table of "my all-time best-ever trips taken".

I may visit Vienna and Austria in February 2018 (after last visiting in January 2005). We'll see how that visit turns out.

Warm regards,
twowheel
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest that if you have time you could add in Salzburg. And if you are up for travel in the near region, there's Prague and Ljubljana within easy reach.
twowheel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
I suggest that if you have time you could add in Salzburg. And if you are up for travel in the near region, there's Prague and Ljubljana within easy reach.

I have been to Salzburg and Prague (as well as Budapest and Bratislava) and I guess I could visit them again, but Vienna in particular is giving me an itch that I feel the urge to scratch (I lived just outside of Vienna from 1998 to 2000).

Actually, I feel inclined to stop in Innsbruck for a day or so.

Warm regards,
twowheel
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Innsbruck is great, and if it's snowy, only better. Enjoy!
I'll be on a project east of the Urals in mid Feb - possibly a bit less felicitous venue at that time...
twowheel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! Now that other places have been mentioned, if I do make it to Europe and Vienna this winter, I may have a hankering to slide on over to Budapest for a few days (was there in March 1994, so I'd like to see what old Buda and old Pest have been up to).

Have a good project east of the Urals!

Warm regards,
twowheel
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"German's are also weird." So says a poster above. However they probably know the rules about the use of the apostrophe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: