Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on quitting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
georginasmiley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Advice on quitting Reply with quote

Hi

Normally stick it out with bad jobs and finish my contract but my current job is just unbearable. If I hand my notice in my contract says I have to stay on for 3 months. I'd rather just wait for payday and do a runner, although because of the payment system I presume I could lose half a month's salary which they may be under no obligation to pay me. I don't know. If I do a runner I suppose they could screw me getting another job. Although I have a ton of experience and good references which might show that it was at least out of character. What should I do? If I stay on for the 3 months I'm sure the nastiness is only going to intensify because I quit. Like I said, only quit a job once in my life and that wasn't in Japan. Any advice would be great.

It's a kids eikaiwa job, rather not name names.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have enough money to keep you going for a bit then I would quit now. However, if you haven't saved much then I would stick it out and get some interviews lined up in the next few weeks.. Best of luck.
georginasmiley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Wouldn't it cause me trouble getting a new job?
mitsui

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you stay in Japan, quitting won't help.
Especially if you work in a similar job.
marley'sghost

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

georginasmiley wrote:
Thanks. Wouldn't it cause me trouble getting a new job?

There is no secret kid's eikaiwa network blacklist. I doubt very much that these people running the outfit you are working for are going to bother sending messages to their cabal of kiddie english eikaiwa collaborators and ban you. Just don't use them as a reference. You might have to candy coat the gap in your employment history, but I wouldn't worry.

Is it your first year of the contract? If so, they do have you for the 3 months. Sad but true. If you have renewed, and are in your 2nd year or afterwards you only need to give 2 weeks. 3 months is just exploitative. It really does not leave you with many options other than pulling a runner. Is there no other way? Is there any chance they will let you out at the end of the month, if say they get your replacement by then? Is the situation so bad you can't trust or talk to each other?

You are lucky it's only half a month's salary. Many employers hold onto a full month's as insurance.
Good luck
georginasmiley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I don’t know whether you could say the situation is bad in the grand scheme of things . They’re too strict and it pisses me off. Can’t do anything right. Too much work ontop of too many classes.
mitsui

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start looking for work and prepare for any interview. Be prepared to say why you are leaving this job. It is easy to not answer the question the way they want to hear it.
Japanese tend to fake interviews and have an idealized view of their situation.
You cannot even be slightly negative.
It is hard to fake it, though.
I know about extra duties not in the contract and a literally psycho boss.
Vince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the unbearable issues with this job?
kzjohn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on quitting Reply with quote

georginasmiley wrote:
... If I hand my notice in my contract says I have to stay on for 3 months. ...

How about you go to Hello Work and find out from them what the actual legal requirements are for quitting, instead of believing/accepting what is in your “contract”?

Those requirements will spell out what you need to do, and also the rules that your employer must follow.
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on quitting Reply with quote

kzjohn wrote:
georginasmiley wrote:
... If I hand my notice in my contract says I have to stay on for 3 months. ...

How about you go to Hello Work and find out from them what the actual legal requirements are for quitting, instead of believing/accepting what is in your “contract”?

Those requirements will spell out what you need to do, and also the rules that your employer must follow.

Last I checked (several years ago), if you are in your first contract, you need to do what it says in the contract (so three months in this case) if it's not your first contract with these people, then it's two weeks' notice (regardless of what is written in the contract). Otherwise they *could* go after you if they can show damages.

In either case, anyone who contacts them will be told that the OP bailed mid-contract. And if you bailed saying 'technically, I only have to give two weeks' notice' then you can expect them to be really unhappy about it. It may not be super easy to find a replacement in two weeks.

Check with Hello Work, do searches on labour lawyers home pages etc.
The Transformer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This link gives some useful information, and confirms things said by previous posters: two weeks notice required from your second contract onwards, and companies cannot fine you for quitting during your contract, and must pay all outstanding wages even if you do quit.

http://www.nic-nagoya.or.jp/en/e/archives/348

Quote:
However, if an employee resigns without giving appropriate notice as set out in their contract, it is possible for the company to claim damages against that employee in a civil court

I spoke to the Labor Standards Bureau in Tokyo about this a few years ago and they gave the opinion that, if you quit without giving the required notice, it would be unlikely (though not out of the question) for a Japanese employer to sue you for damages, particularly a school, as they'll probably have other teachers who can cover any lessons you'd been scheduled to teach. And even if the school had to cancel lessons and lost money because of your sudden resignation, it probably wouldn't be significant enough damage for them to take you to court over.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: