Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shenzhen vs. Shanghai -- opinions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leretif9

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: Shenzhen vs. Shanghai -- opinions? Reply with quote

How would those who know from first hand experience compare Shenzhen vs. Shanghai, as far as the ESL work situation, pay level and working conditions, weather, urban atmosphere, arts and culture scene, friendliness of long-term resident local people, general livability...

Thanks.
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say Shenzhen and Shanghai are about the same financially for your average ESL teacher. The salaries are higher than most other places in China. For well qualified teachers with advanced degrees and higher qualifications, Shanghai has more opportunites and a higher top-end pay scale.

Culturally, Shanghai is hands-down better than Shenzhen on every level, BUT Hong Kong is easily accessible from Shenzhen, which might balance that out for many people.

The weather is Shenzhen is warmer and milder in the winter, but Shenzhen is plagued by VERY BAD pollution on most days. Shanghai generally has better air quality.

Shenzhen is a mix of people from all over China and is pretty warm and friendly as most people are away from family ties and often looking to compensate for these lack of connections. Shanghai is famous for being cold to outsiders and it can be a bit more difficult to make friends.

Most people would choose Shanghai, methinks, but it depends on what you're looking for.
The bear

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon in Suzhou wrote:
I would say Shenzhen and Shanghai are about the same financially for your average ESL teacher. The salaries are higher than most other places in China. For well qualified teachers with advanced degrees and higher qualifications, Shanghai has more opportunites and a higher top-end pay scale.

Culturally, Shanghai is hands-down better than Shenzhen on every level, BUT Hong Kong is easily accessible from Shenzhen, which might balance that out for many people.

The weather is Shenzhen is warmer and milder in the winter, but Shenzhen is plagued by VERY BAD pollution on most days. Shanghai generally has better air quality.

Shenzhen is a mix of people from all over China and is pretty warm and friendly as most people are away from family ties and often looking to compensate for these lack of connections. Shanghai is famous for being cold to outsiders and it can be a bit more difficult to make friends.

Most people would choose Shanghai, methinks, but it depends on what you're looking for.

Agree with everything but this. Shanghai's pollution is worse than Shenzhen's.

To the OP:

Working conditions will totally depend on your employer. Location doesn't matter. You could have a brilliant or awful job in both of those cities.

Urban atmosphere? You mean like the pollution? Answered above. If you mean more of the 'atmosphere of a restaurant/club' then I'd say Shanghai just wins. Shanghai is established, but that doesn't mean Shenzhen is lacking, there's some great great spots in both cities.

Arts and culture - Shanghai wins again. Just more established and internationally recognized.

Friendliness - Shenzhen. Shanghai people have a reputation of being quite cold and treat anyone who isn't from Shanghai with disdain. That said, I haven't experience it much as I think it's mostly Chinese-Chinese interactions where this stems from. Shenzhen is a migrant city, 20 years ago it was nothing. Pretty much everyone is a non-native.

General liveability - probably the same. Both are big, international, developed cities.

Totally depends on the jobs get offered as to which city will be better.
kev20

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The air quality in Shenzhen is excellent compared to most Chinese cities. Shanghai and the surrounding Jiangsu Province is grey skies for 300 days a year. It's not the worst according to AQI but it always seemed to be in the 150 range when I lived there. Even Beijing has more blue skies in my experience.

However Shanghai is still a wonderful city. Shenzhen is not really a tier 1 city in my opinion. Full of posers, cheaters and philistines. Everyone here loves being next to HK for some reason. Personally I don't see the attraction. The best thing about Shenzhen is the weather and fewer classes for more money in public schools.
claka77

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer Shenzhen to Shanghai myself however my opinion maybe clouded; I had a great job in Shenzhen (public school job that paid great money relative to hours worked). I also loved being able to go to HK and other places such as Macau, Zhuhai and Guangzhou. The people also seemed friendly to me. Compared to Guangzhou, I also felt that my Chinese skills were useful (when I lived in Guangzhou no-one understood me, maybe due to Cantonese or my Mandarin getting worse).

I visited Shanghai twice while working in Suzhou (I had a miserable time there and didn't last long, the job I had was terrible). Compared to Shenzhen the subway lines to me looked confusing (in Shenzhen there were only 5 subway lines at the time, I think there are more now). However I will say that Shanghai because of its history appears to be more interesting if you're into art, architecture, Chinese culture, etc. There are also more foreigners in Shanghai (compared to Shenzhen which is mostly like one poster said full of Chinese immigrants from rural provinces and other cities).

My guess is that Shanghai is potentially more expensive and winter will be cold compared to Shenzhen (winter in the latter is mild, 7-8 months of the year are warm and humid). If you're planning on traveling I guess Shenzhen is better if you wish to visit places in South-East Asia (HK International Airport can be reached by bus, van, train, etc. there's also Shenzhen Airport) while if you choose Shanghai then of course you're closer to Japan, Korea and more parts of China. I prefer Shenzhen however I've got friends who have lived in both cities (they've all lived in Shanghai longer but their jobs over there were more in line with their qualifications, Shenzhen was like an introduction to life in China).
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kev20 wrote:
The air quality in Shenzhen is excellent compared to most Chinese cities. Shanghai and the surrounding Jiangsu Province is grey skies for 300 days a year. It's not the worst according to AQI but it always seemed to be in the 150 range when I lived there. Even Beijing has more blue skies in my experience.

However Shanghai is still a wonderful city. Shenzhen is not really a tier 1 city in my opinion. Full of posers, cheaters and philistines. Everyone here loves being next to HK for some reason. Personally I don't see the attraction. The best thing about Shenzhen is the weather and fewer classes for more money in public schools.

There has been a huge improvement here in Shanghai in the last year, loads more blue sky days, nice change from the bleak grey skies of my first few years here! I hope it continues Very Happy
kev20

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

getbehindthemule wrote:
kev20 wrote:

There has been a huge improvement here in Shanghai in the last year, loads more blue sky days, nice change from the bleak grey skies of my first few years here! I hope it continues Very Happy

I'm glad to hear it as I'm hoping to move back to East China after my current contract. Very Happy
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kev20 wrote:
getbehindthemule wrote:
kev20 wrote:

I'm glad to hear it as I'm hoping to move back to East China after my current contract. Very Happy

Yeah, I was considering leaving Shanghai around this time last year but the air quality has improved so much (whatever actions have been implemented, they seem to be working here) that I'm set on staying! Just looking out my office window now and there's a blue sky evident!
AQI has rarely been over 100 so far this Autumn/Winter. Of course there has been a couple of very bad air days but few and far between. I had a couple of bad colds and lung infections over the past few Novembers/Decembers but healthy this year, touch wood!
leretif9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which city has more days of sunshine per year? Which one has more days of gray weather?
Blistering Zanazilz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leretif9 wrote:
Which city has more days of sunshine per year? Which one has more days of gray weather?

Use Wikipedia, go to the climate data for each city, and there's your answer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: