Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WantToKnow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) Reply with quote

Anyone know anything about working for SCAD's Hong Kong campus?
Perilla

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) Reply with quote

WantToKnow wrote:
Anyone know anything about working for SCAD's Hong Kong campus?

As it's in its first year of operation I think you'll be lucky to get any feedback here. I'd have thought it ought to be a good employer - international reputation, top academics, etc ...
WantToKnow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Thanks for your feedback. Reply with quote

Once knew someone who taught ESL for SCAD in Savannah who said
hours were very long, and ESL teachers worked during breaks when
many other teachers were on holiday. Wondered if that is still true and
true in Hong Kong.
Beg2Differ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Contract with SCADS Reply with quote

Hi,
Can anyone speak to conditions at SCAD? Specifically salary, working conditions, benefits. Has anyone interviewed with them?

Many thanks
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for your feedback. Reply with quote

WantToKnow wrote:
Once knew someone who taught ESL for SCAD in Savannah who said
hours were very long, and ESL teachers worked during breaks when
many other teachers were on holiday. Wondered if that is still true and
true in Hong Kong.

Agreed, with others, its difficult to get accurate information.

I was reading through Glassdoor.com, and it's difficult to decipher who is working where there, and every situation is different. But the repetitive theme is that most work a lot, and one source mentioned only having 3 weeks off. Again, difficult to decipher, as I've yet to find a good website where employees from SCAD's ESL Faculty talk about the job details.

If anyone DOES know the situation with SCAD - could you PM me?
timmytopee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: SHOULD BE AVOIDED Reply with quote

Contracts are HORRIBLE, turnover is at 80%, I know former directors that ran for the hills! This place treats their ESL staff like toilet tissue! SERIOUSLY! Horrible Pay, Horrible Hours, No housing, terrible benefits, long arduous application process, only to get a job you'll RUN FROM in the end.
danmbob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anybody? anybody?
danshengou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The work conditions and company would not make me want to apply.
garamamin230

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just my two cents based on their recruitment habits on TESOL.org.

1) Their job postings (both for Savannah and Hong Kong) have a tendency to go up for a month and disappear after a while only to then suddenly reappear a shortly before the semester is due to start. That should tell you enough about the organization there.

2) Also, I don't really see a lot of small, specialized schools that advertise for jobs as frequently as SCAD (again both for Savannah and HK). If people are happy, the turn over is usually pretty stable. The school in HK would also like that as well, I'd imagine, as getting a visa is still annoying, even with HK-styled efficiency.
HeidiHector

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny enough. I applied to a position in HK a few years back. Here is what happened:

Sent in my resume and cover letter in Nov. Nothing for three months. Then the ad suddenly went up again.

A week or so later, was contacted by them for not the position in HK but in Savannah, which I thought was weird. Told them I applied to the job in HK, not in the US, and they said that they were "still interested". An interview was scheduled.

Thirty minutes before the scheduled time. It was canceled because of an "unforeseen time conflict" (how that makes any sense is beyond me). They suggested another time, which worked for me, but when I said yes, they said that they would need to get back to me. (It was a Skype session.)

That time didn't work out but finally we found time to talk. But at the interview, they told me that they only would have twenty minutes to talk because they are meeting with "many qualified candidates". That was the most general interview I have ever had. (Also, they had quite a few tech issues, so it wasn't even the whole 20 minutes.)

They seemed to like me because they emailed me saying that they wanted to schedule another interview. I got back saying that I would be interested.

No response for a few days.

Followed up.

Nothing.

Then emailed them again, only to get an auto-reply saying that the person no longer worked there with no instructions on who to reach out to about anything.

--

That was the end of my exchange with SCAD. Luckily, I already had a solid offer when I was interviewing for them.
HeidiHector

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Follow-Up:

Happened to meet someone who worked at their campus in Savanah but left because it was such a sh*tshow.

She told me that the biggest problem with the school is that it is too expensive and not particularly well-situated (Savanah/Atlanta as compared to NYC/LA/SF/BO/CH) for visual media jobs, so they take practically anyone who applies with the money to pay. Many incoming, local students lack the necessary basic skills, with the international ones having the bonus of being "conditionally accepted" with only 5.5-6.0 on the IELTS or 70-80 on the TOEFL, if that.

What's more, as a school with "College of Art and Design" in its name, SCAD is actually NOT accredited as an art/design school, but as simply a university/college. Sure, its architecture programs are accredited by the National Architecture Accrediting Board, but that's about it. (Let alone the fact that most of its students do NOT study architecture.) Neither the National Association of Schools of Art and Design nor the Association of Independent Colleges of Art and Design, the two main accreditation bodies for art and design schools, recognizes SCAD. [A little context: All of the art and design schools that are well-regarded, such as Parsons (most famous for fashion), the Cooper Union (architecture/interior design), and California Insitute of the Arts (animation), are members of either one or both of those accreditation boards.]

Interestingly, these two agencies both require their members to post financial aid info, such as grants/scholarships as a ratio to the tuition, and other relevant school info, such as acceptance rate.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied to the HK SCAD one.

Very low pay, high teaching hours, very strict standardized curriculum, very basic low-level mind-numbingly boring types of courses offered.

Prior to the interview, I guess I was hoping it would be like ESP - English with a Specific Purpose, with art and design-related themes. Nope. Not even that.

I can't recall the details now - but I believe it was just several courses offered, and very basic generic English (nothing to do with art or design), and very standardized with no teacher input whatsoever acceptable. Contact hours were 24/hour a week if I remember right, and HK universities are already at the high end with 18/hours a week. The salary was significantly lower than any HK university, and the HK uni salaries aren't all that high relative to the cost of living anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: