Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting Out of Teaching
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gulezar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Tim Mackintosh-Smith Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
This guy did it. Why can't you did it ?

http://www.louisdebernieres.co.uk/about-1.html

Escape from TEFL is possible. So is winning the lottery.

Here's a British Council fellow who found his way into another field.
http://www.mackintosh-smith.com/

I suppose that TEFL is like any profession; the challenges can present amazing opportunities. Any language skills developed along the way could be an asset on a resume. The ability to teach students how to craft a logical essay could be expanded into writing, and I would suppose that could be short stories, novels, brochures or travel writing.

Experience in test administration, such as the IELTS, could be one way to supplement one's income.

Many of those who have been in TEFL for some time, had the opportunity to grab real estate when the market was down. It was just a matter of investing in the right market.
Kowloon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Tim Mackintosh-Smith Reply with quote

Gulezar wrote:
scot47 wrote:

I suppose that TEFL is like any profession; the challenges can present amazing opportunities. Any language skills developed along the way could be an asset on a resume. The ability to teach students how to craft a logical essay could be expanded into writing, and I would suppose that could be short stories, novels, brochures or travel writing.

Experience in test administration, such as the IELTS, could be one way to supplement one's income.

Many of those who have been in TEFL for some time, had the opportunity to grab real estate when the market was down. It was just a matter of investing in the right market.

Fair play to the guy. Balls of brass to go for it, make a success of it, and will look back on it with pride in his old age. I'm genuinely interested in some of his titles. Thanks for sharing.

Depressing to think though that he struggles to make a decent living from it (well according to his website) Crying or Very sad Not fair!
bograt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Tim Mackintosh-Smith Reply with quote

Kowloon wrote:
Gulezar wrote:
scot47 wrote:

Fair play to the guy. Balls of brass to go for it, make a success of it, and will look back on it with pride in his old age. I'm genuinely interested in some of his titles. Thanks for sharing.

Depressing to think though that he struggles to make a decent living from it (well according to his website) Crying or Very sad Not fair!

Probably not much of a market for books about Yemen. Still kudos to the guy for living there 30 years.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of opportunities in Spook-training !
oxi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Getting Out of Teaching Reply with quote

mehrlin26 wrote:
I've been thinking about getting out of teaching ESL once I have enough money saved up in a year or two...I tried quitting ESL about ten years ago....Then... money problems,. Since 2012, I've been back teaching ESL but I can't say it's been getting any easier.

Hope I haven't rearranged the original post too much. Was just trying to compare that to my situation.

I quit two years ago to look after a toddler. Then thought I'd better earn more money before I get out altogether. I'd like to quit again next summer, but it would only be halfway through a two year contract. Probably more sensible to finish it. Afterwards, I'd like to get back to the UK for my child's education, and to be near his grandparents. Should have enough money, based on renting out a couple of flats. I've been lucky enough to earn decent money in Hong Kong, and buy a flat that I can sell for a much better price when we go.

I do wonder how much money will be enough to live on back in the UK these days. Any thoughts? I know it's a bit of a'depends' and 'how long is a piece of string' question..
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe there is a forum like this specifically for rentiers ?
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.
Flannelgrungenostalgia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Exactly what I've been saying for years. I sincerely hope it comes true this time. I wouldn't mind teaching adults again, just not ESOL. I'm done.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried escaping and had a difficult 10 years out of teaching. The Fates pulled me back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fates

Now i am happily retired and awaiting my imminent encounter with The Great Spirit.
Yanklonigan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am planning to retire from teaching in may of 2018 after almost forty years in the trenches. I was recently in Galway, Ireland to film two scenes in a movie, "A Letter from Al Moran," based upon a screenplay "Mersey Boys." I have been writing and publishing almost as long as I have been teaching. My blog is MOD EDIT
Shakey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It runs the gamut. I've known people who have left overseas TEFL'ing and who have moved into a wide range of different jobs and careers: lawyers, human resources staff, small business operators, police officers, military officers, medical doctors, professors, licensed high school teachers, and one teacher who even returned to their home country and opened up their own immigration consultancy office after taking the needed courses and getting licensed.

But, then there are the TEFL lifers. I've always found that the longer one stays in overseas TEFL, the likelihood of ever returning to one's home country and moving into a totally unrelated career is slim. Especially when people have invested so heavily into their TEFL careers obtaining CELTAs / DELTAs, master's and doctoral degrees, etc. Also, a lot of these people have been able to eventually find university level teaching positions where they do not have to work a 40-hour work week and enjoy long summer and winter vacations. Such a lifestyle can be very addicting. Why go back to the West and face a monotonous grind, the Leftist politics, political correctness, etc.?
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakey you make a good point, why go back to the sort of lifestyle you've tried on and it didn't fit quite right? Working overseas I can choose the type of environment I please, to a certain extent. Don't want to pay taxes? The Middle East. Want eager students? Try SE Asia. Want decent Chinese food? Somewhere in China that doesn't cater to westerners. Beaches? Thailand. Culture? A lot of places have oodles of it, plenty more than a small town in the home counties. Most places have better weather too, fortunately the British Isles are relieved of their horrendous climate for two or three months of the year, which coincide with the summer holidays.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with the previous two posters. I've actually done the opposite to most as I've had a career in industry (research & development, middle & senior management positons) which spanned 12 years prior to this!
I've done 4 years of this malarky now and the lifestyle is indeed addivite. I hugely appreciate my 3.5 months of vacation! In my previous career I was lucky if I took a week off at any one time, a couple of times per year!
To go back to the grind would be very very difficult for me after this, so I'll most likely stick at it and plan some business venture in the future.
JZer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting Out of Teaching Reply with quote

mehrlin26 wrote:
I've been thinking about getting out of teaching ESL once I have enough money saved up in a year or two. I was wondering if anybody around here has any experience with that.

Just for context, I tried quitting ESL about ten years ago. I seemed to be making a go of it in another industry. Then a combination of money problems, personal problems, and the great collapse of 2007-2008 scuttled that attempt. Since 2012, I've been back teaching ESL but I can't say it's been getting any easier.

Just wondering, if you or anybody you know has tried to jump ship, where did they end up landing?

I switched from teaching ESL to working for the United States government. Most days, I miss ESL, but I don't miss the lack of job security. I summited Mount Kilimanjaro last year and am hoping to teach at a summer camp in the Ukraine this summer.
Moma

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s a slightly different view, which I’ve only recently come up with.

I left teaching over a decade ago. I always missed the travel possibilities and being a people person for want of a better expression. Whilst taking up teaching was one of my better ideas, one which I’ll never regret, I considered myself well shot of it, until recently.

I live in the UK. My wife is from Asia and wants to retire there. It’s recently dawned on me that I could afford to retire years earlier there than I could in the UK. Teaching part time there is such an obvious option too, not only for the extra income but also to meet people and avoid boredom.

So now I’m getting back into teaching with courses, summer schools and short-term contracts so I’ll be ready to teach again when retired.

This is coming from someone who until recently said never again. Never say...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: