Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Christchurch job market

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nilsson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Christchurch job market Reply with quote

I'm planning to move back to NZ in the next year or so and trying to get a sense of the job market in Christchurch. I have an CELTA, an MA in TEFL and 14 years experience - what are the chances of getting regular work? What are the typical rates of pay like? While I'm not expecting to make huge amounts of money, I'd like to be able to pay the bills Smile Auckland obviously has more opportunities but I'd prefer to live in a smaller city if possible. I've been looking online and the openings are few and far between in Christchurch, but not sure if that represents the reality on the ground. Any advice you could give me would be great - thanks!
daryl_ks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nilsson,

I'm currently based in Christchurch at a university and on the TESOLANZ board. Opportunities are few and far between. There is a bit of casual and fixed-term work going around. But permanent positions are very hard to come by as the sector hasn't really recovered since the earthquakes. As an example, we saw steady growth post-earthquakes through to about 2014. From that point on the size of the market has been very stable. The tertiary market is probably more robust, but the language schools have not really come back. I'd suggest keeping tabs on Seek.co.nz as well as the individual tertiary sites (Uni of Canterbury, Lincoln, and Ara polytech).

Happy to answer further questions.

Cheers,
nilsson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daryl_ks wrote:
Hi Nilsson,

I'm currently based in Christchurch at a university and on the TESOLANZ board. Opportunities are few and far between. There is a bit of casual and fixed-term work going around. But permanent positions are very hard to come by as the sector hasn't really recovered since the earthquakes. As an example, we saw steady growth post-earthquakes through to about 2014. From that point on the size of the market has been very stable. The tertiary market is probably more robust, but the language schools have not really come back. I'd suggest keeping tabs on Seek.co.nz as well as the individual tertiary sites (Uni of Canterbury, Lincoln, and Ara polytech).

Happy to answer further questions.

Cheers,

thanks daryl_ks, that's really helpful. I'll keep looking at the job adverts and hopefully something will come up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: